Topic: Users' Passwords

Hello.

In my forum, I often get complaints from people I know for not receiving their password..ever! I then get to change it manually for them, and then they update it once logged in. Quite a hassle! I tend to think that all those users that register and never show up then never got to receive their passwords at the first place!
Is it more likely to be a server problem? Or a punbb problem? Maybe better give up the password sending process and just let registration be smooth?
Thanks for your input.

If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always gotten.

Re: Users' Passwords

Well, it might be a problem with your mail server or those users' spam filter is blocking the mails.

I only have the BB Spam Fighter 1.0.0 and a captchabox! I didn't know those can prevent sending passwords!
Maybe I better change the registration options as I said earlier.

I don't mean those, I mean the spam filters on for example Gmail or Hotmail wink

Oh! I see!
But still, that gotta be fixed!

Thank you smile.

Well, you have to figure out where the problem is wink

I sure will try to smile.

8 (edited by MattF 2007-09-05 16:21)

Papillon wrote:

Oh! I see!
But still, that gotta be fixed!

Thank you smile.

Seriously, if you manage to find out what criteria the likes of AOL/Gmail/Hotmail use, (other than random can't be arsed'ness), to filter e-mails, you'll have succeeded where no other has. big_smile big_smile One thing to check first, however, are the basics  for smooth operation on a correctly configured smtp/MX server, i.e:

1) Do you have a PTR record for the outbound smtp server?

2) Are you using an A record and not a CNAME for the outbound smtp server?

3) Is the DNS correctly configured in all other regards for the outbound server?

DNS errors or misconfigurations are one thing that will lead to your mail being dumped/quarantined in no short fashion by a lot of MX servers. The CNAME part is more essential in MX records, but it is best practise not used on both MX/outbound smtp servers.

MattF wrote:

Seriously, if you manage to find out what criteria the likes of AOL/Gmail/Hotmail use, (other than random can't be arsed'ness), to filter e-mails, you'll have succeeded where no other has. big_smile big_smile

Wrong address, Sir! ^^

MattF wrote:

One thing to check first, however, are the basics  for smooth operation on a correctly configured smtp/MX server, i.e:

1) Do you have a PTR record for the outbound smtp server?

2) Are you using an A record and not a CNAME for the outbound smtp server?

3) Is the DNS correctly configured in all other regards for the outbound server?

DNS errors or misconfigurations are one thing that will lead to your mail being dumped/quarantined in no short fashion by a lot of MX servers. The CNAME part is more essential in MX records, but it is best practise not used on both MX/outbound smtp servers.

^^ Wrong address big time! If you think I know one single thing of what you're talking about, then you're misled ^^. I thought that my question was "too simple"! I don't even know how to do anything of the above smile, but thanks a lot for taking the time to respond smile.