Topic: What RSS readers do people use (and enjoy)?

See topic wink

I've managed to avoid setting up an RSS reader for this long. However, it seems to me that when I'm refreshing PunBB every minute or so, I'd be better off setting up an RSS reader and having it alert me when there's a new post. tongue

Does anyone have any suggestions for RSS readers that they like, especially ones that can pop up, say, a tooltp when there's a new entry in a feed? I think that would be best, then I can be easily distracted by the tooltip rather than by a full Firefox window with a couple tabs tongue

Re: What RSS readers do people use (and enjoy)?

I use FeedDemon and I am very happy with it. Actually happy enough to actually pay for it.

I use rssticker for firefox, nice if you only have a few feeds.

http://www.chrisfinke.com/addons/rss-ticker/

Post hoc ergo propter hoc

Google Reader (currently my primary RSS reader) is excellent, and a cinch to set up if you already have an account on Google/Gmail. I believe there are several "notifier" extensions for Firefox.

The beta version of Bloglines (beta.bloglines.com) also seems nice.

Looking for a certain modification for your forum? Please take a look here before posting.

I'm decently happen with Bloglines.

Paul wrote:

I use FeedDemon and I am very happy with it. Actually happy enough to actually pay for it.

Same here, FeedDemon is great! smile

I was trying out FeedDemon yesterday, and I have a quick question. Is there a way to tell it to mark an item as unread if the item updates (eg: the pubDate changes)?

pogenwurst wrote:

Google Reader (currently my primary RSS reader) is excellent, and a cinch to set up if you already have an account on Google/Gmail. I believe there are several "notifier" extensions for Firefox.

The beta version of Bloglines (beta.bloglines.com) also seems nice.

Tried google reader but the update rate was too slow and punbb feed didn't update all the time...

Post hoc ergo propter hoc

I use Safari (on Mac OS X).

If I had some extra dough I would get feeddemon. Loved that app.

The sage rss plugin for firefox is nice, but a little light on features.

Sage is my absolute favorite!
It displays a page with all the entries and their content. Like.... you dont need to click each item one by one.
I doesnt have a pop up feature though.

I've tried some other stuff but nothing ended up being as close to sage when it comes to be practical.

I'm bringing this topic back to live because as of the beginning of this month FeedDemon is free.
http://nick.typepad.com/blog/2008/01/fr … n-yes.html

Hmm, I just installed FeedDemon. It looks nice, except that I haven't seen the option to order posts in a feed by date descending.

View/Newspaper/Sort in reverse

Ah, righty, thanks.