Topic: upgrade forum --> paying members can do more than standard users

Hi ppl.

We have a punBB forum with about 8500 registered users.  There are some great users and a bunch of noobs.  We have gotten user requests to make a paid members account upgrade.  Something like $20/yr to keep noobs/spammers out of members threads.   This members only section of the forums would be read only for non paying users. Paying members can also do more on the forums (like PM?s for eg.).  Which would basically mean installing a bunch of plugins but only making them work for paid members?

I need someone to help customize punBB that knows their stuff well.  I can obviously pay to make this happen.  We are setting up a paypal pro account to serve as our payment gateway.

Here?s what we need:
* need to allow registered users the option to upgrade to a paid membership account (billed annually using paypal webpayments pro)
* paid members would have access to special functionality like PM's and chat (and some other plugins) that regular users wouldnt
* help making the payment processing work

It is myself (a designer/project manager dude) and a very easy to work with php developer.  We built and maintain the site but feel this request is a bit outside our core abilities. 

Is there one of y'all out there with coding chops that can help?

BTW this is a lakers fansite forum --> these ppl are crazy enough to pay a membership fee to talk!

thanks

JW

Re: upgrade forum --> paying members can do more than standard users

I need something similar. Anyone want to take this on? Thats two people that need it.

Definitely way more than two punbb users requesting this. 

I was thinking about creating a new member group with additional privileges (Private messaging, image hosting, etc.) for "forum sponsors" but the administration of manually adding people to the group and then removing them after xx months is too much of a hassle.

vBulletin has a payment mod which looks pretty advanced: http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/main ? ns_example

I'd almost be willing to settle for a simple countdown mod that automatically moves someone from a premiere group to a standard user group if they haven't renewed after xx days.  I'm okay with manually adding members to a group when they pay, but it would be a pain to have to remember to pull their membership when the time runs out / subscription expires.

This may be better suited for version 1.3, but maybe some people can partner up to pay someone to build this mod / plugin.

Rob Ludlow 
www.Nifty-Stuff.com - Repository of all Stuff Nifty!
www.reviewum.com - Professor Ratings + Teacher Reviews

reviewum.com wrote:

Definitely way more than two punbb users requesting this. 

I was thinking about creating a new member group with additional privileges (Private messaging, image hosting, etc.) for "forum sponsors" but the administration of manually adding people to the group and then removing them after xx months is too much of a hassle.

vBulletin has a payment mod which looks pretty advanced: http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/main ? ns_example

I'd almost be willing to settle for a simple countdown mod that automatically moves someone from a premiere group to a standard user group if they haven't renewed after xx days.  I'm okay with manually adding members to a group when they pay, but it would be a pain to have to remember to pull their membership when the time runs out / subscription expires.

This may be better suited for version 1.3, but maybe some people can partner up to pay someone to build this mod / plugin.

Id be willing to chip in. I need this.

I will chip in too smile

Glad there are other members that are interested in this.  Let's define exactly what we want and don't want and we'll go from there. 

I got a quote for $75 on the following project from a programmer I've used for many projects:

I want to allow members to buy subscriptions to extra features on the forum, for example, image hosting, private messaging, etc.  There is no payment integration to Paypal, etc. needed.  Just a system that will automatically change the "group_id" from one number to another number once membership expires.

My idea of how to do this easily is below. 

1)  A member pays and I go into the application and selects a member and move them to the "supporting member" group (in the DB this is just changing "group_id" from 4 to 5).   
2)  Admin enters the length of time for the membership: for example, 12 months
3)  The system automatically checks, maybe every week, to see if an expiration is approaching:
If expiration date is 0 - 1 month away the system sends an automated email that their subscription is about to expire. 
If expiration date is < current date the system automatically moves them into the regular "members" group (in the DB change "group_id" from 5 to 4).     and send a notification email.

As you can tell I kept the project pretty easy and made it so it wouldn't need to be totally tied into punbb.  Also, no payment integration, but I'm sure PayPal subscriptions / payments could be added.

What do you think?   Please reply with your "Must Haves" and "Nice to haves" and we'll go from there.

For me, the must have is:
? Automated removal from supported member to regular member at end of subscription

From there, everything else is a nice to have.  smile

Rob Ludlow 
www.Nifty-Stuff.com - Repository of all Stuff Nifty!
www.reviewum.com - Professor Ratings + Teacher Reviews