Topic: punbb in php5 for punbb 1.3 ??

I read the topic about the end of the support of PHP4 at the end of the year.

Here in France, most of ISPs provide PHP5, so there is nothing that cant be done to use it wink

My question is : is there any chance to see a version of punBB in PHP5 ?

About the mod Puntal I manage and maintain, I'm starting thinking that I could produce a "standalone" (without punBB) version in PHP5.

Re: punbb in php5 for punbb 1.3 ??

There's nothing currently in PunBB that would benefit from PHP5, but it works just fine on it, so I don't see the problem.

Ok, i see, we could mix the 2 syntax, a pure PHP5 one with class and constructor and so on, and the existing PHP4 compatible  with PHP5 as it seems to be said here
i will make a try.

PunBB works fine without changes wink

I believe you're mixing things up a little bit. smile PHP5 doesn't have to be used in a object oriented manner (classes, constructors, methods, etc...), it just adds a lot of support for it that was missing in PHP4. In other words, you can run PHP5 on your server and continue coding in the old "PHP4 way". (with some exceptions of course)

What I've seen from the source to 1.3, there is already parts that are coded in the "PHP5 way" (object oriented), for example the DB abstraction layer.

Erm, the DB abstraction layer is on 1.2 too, and it's based on the PHP4 OOP model, not the PHP5 model.

elbekko wrote:

Erm, the DB abstraction layer is on 1.2 too, and it's based on the PHP4 OOP model, not the PHP5 model.

I guess I'm mixing up things a little to. roll