Re: An update

quaker wrote:

I first heard about it back in march of 2007 rumor and such..
I guess we will have to wait and see!

Q

That's funny, I never heard about it back then. tongue

Smartys wrote:
quaker wrote:

Q

lmao.... march time frame is that better might have been a month after ... but... around then..

Q

My stuff or my style might sux, but atleast I'm willing to help when I can.
Don't be stupid and help ! We are the stupid one's !!!

Rickard wrote:

Apart from sponsoring the project, they wanted to later down the line offer paid-for web services in relation to PunBB (for example commercial grade PunBB hosting).

Instead of an example for what they might do maybe you could give us some facts for what they will do. Unless you sold the rights to PunBB without actually knowing the intentions of this company. Which I doubt.... big time.
So I suppose my next question would be... are you holding out on us again? Will another announcment be made soon after 1.3 that people will not like or did you sell it without knowing there TRUE intentions.

Dont get me wrong.. if this speeds up PunBB and improves PunBB then I am all for it. I just have my doubts. sad

quaker wrote:
Smartys wrote:
quaker wrote:

Q

lmao.... march time frame is that better might have been a month after ... but... around then..

Q

That's still the wrong timeframe: as Rickard said, it was early in the summer wink

Smartys wrote:

That's still the wrong timeframe: as Rickard said, it was early in the summer wink

Before 02 July it seams.

april may june july... doesnt matter.. rumor are rumors....

Q

My stuff or my style might sux, but atleast I'm willing to help when I can.
Don't be stupid and help ! We are the stupid one's !!!

57 (edited by BoltX 2007-10-17 22:05)

...and although I was a lurker for a while (only registered today), why has this announcement stirred so much garbage here?

Honestly - I don't care.

As an example - mambo was great, and after the fork - now joomla looks even better (v1.5 RC1). So how and why is this a problem?

I used PunBB on many intranets, and CHARGED clients to set it up. Rikard and others put a LOT of work in this, offer came, and what is the problem in accepting it? Does it matter really?

I'm more concerned about the changes 1.3 will bring about. Will it offer some sort of Upgrade package? THAT would be the ONLY concern I have atm.

I'm happy for PunBB Devs to be able to get a bit of $$$ for their work.

quaker wrote:

april may june july... doesnt matter.. rumor are rumors....

Q

Rumors about something that hadn't even happened at that point are false wink
Think about it, if I spread a rumor that Apple is going to come out with an iPod extreme and two years later they release one, does that make my rumor valid?

BoltX wrote:

.I'm more concerned about the changes 1.3 will bring about. Will it offer some sort of Upgrade package? THAT would be the ONLY concern I have atm.

Oh yes, we always support upgrading to the newest version smile

59 (edited by Meowmeow 2007-10-18 17:09)

PunBB 1.3 looks different today! What a beautiful forum. smile

http://img251.imageshack.us/img251/1600/84160955rr1.png

If this screenshot isn't polite, I will delete it.

Welcome to my WoW guild site, the Eternal Reach.

You can also visit Chita, a site built by me, a feral paradise for feline animals.

Smartys wrote:

Oh yes, we always support upgrading to the newest version smile

ABSOLUTELY AWESOME! Keep up the GREAT work guys!

61 (edited by oneless 2007-10-19 00:29)

For me, this is good news. I`m glad your getting paid for your hard work and glad development has picked up momentum. I`ll probably install 1.3 now instead of 1.2 on my live server.

Just please.. don`t loose the philosophy, keep it fast and also don`t add any more images. The lack of images is one of the reasons I like PunBB, admitedly the nav and feed images do improve the look/feel enough to persuade even me to keep them. The feed hover image I will remove though and feel that any more images should not be added. That`s just me though.

Guys, this is not an announcement to say "Use 1.3," it isn't done and is not for production use (and we're not accepting bug reports at this point) wink

63 (edited by oneless 2007-10-19 00:47)

Don`t worry I`ll keep any bug reports to myself and won`t come crying if my server goes up in flames wink

lol I found a bug which would render the board un-usable, so I`ll be going with 1.2 after all.

Yeah Gotipe tongue
Oftopic: and Gotipe i can now html and php cool?:P

PunBB, the FluxBB of tomorrow - today!

grudon66 wrote:

Yeah Gotipe tongue
Oftopic: and Gotipe i can now html and php cool?:P

(hemen, kan du inte ta det på det andra forumet? tongue Men visst är det coolt.)

It look pretty allright on the screenshot. But now as I'm so used to the other versions, it might be a bit hard to get used to the new look of it. (New options and that kind of stuff is always good, but new allover designs taks some time for me) tongue

Darth Vader will chase you away with his lightsaber!
GalacticEmpire.se Forum

67 (edited by grudon66 2007-10-20 10:26)

HEHE tongue
what is the date to the 1.3 beta?
And guys when i 1.3 is done i wil crate a Norwegian language pack to 1.3 big_smile

PunBB, the FluxBB of tomorrow - today!

yes its end of free punbb...now it may sound too harsh....but punbb asked donations to support the project...they developed it based on those donations and now selling it off for $$$ thats too bad...why dont you refund money of those who supported the script and donated for "development"

PunBB will be still free for us to use. Did you really read it deeply?

Welcome to my WoW guild site, the Eternal Reach.

You can also visit Chita, a site built by me, a feral paradise for feline animals.

I read the entire thread If you can read between the line....there is no garuntee that future versions will be free

pingme wrote:

I read the entire thread If you can read between the line....there is no garuntee that future versions will be free

Rickard wrote:

Enough with the drama. This isn't the "End of free PunBB". PunBB is GPL and will remain so. If push comes to shove, I'll fork it myself!

There are no words between the lines, so anything you read there isn't real tongue

pingme wrote:

yes its end of free punbb...now it may sound too harsh....but punbb asked donations to support the project...they developed it based on those donations and now selling it off for $$$ thats too bad...why dont you refund money of those who supported the script and donated for "development"

Yes, that does sound bitter, and also wrong. I doubt anyone ever asked for donations. Accepting and asking are two very different things. As with all open source software, one should be grateful for the fact that the author and devs ever created and open sourced the software in the first place. There is no obligation. If someone donates, that is of their own volition, not due to some pre-requisite.

How tardy of the author and devs to actually wish to earn a living. How could they.............

Yes, btw, that was sarcasm.

73 (edited by pingme 2007-10-21 18:16)

Donation were asked for. If you check the earlier threads there was a thread about donations. And people donated whole heartedly (including me)

http://punbb.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=5415

developers must earn a levaing that true....The point is not about that..Point is as a donar I feel cheated...the message is very ambiguos about future versions...or what it actually means to me as a end user...whats the impact of this sale on the end user...

Rick could have communicated this news in better way giving clear idea about what to expect, what will change and what will not change...

74 (edited by MattF 2007-10-21 18:19)

Why? Have you ever created or wrote a minor mod even, for PunBB? Do you have any idea how much time coding even the simplest of scripts can consume? The fact that this software ever became available at all is payment in itself for whatever donation people made. I can understand your opinion to a degree, but seriously, good intentions don't put food on the table. Dev's have families to support too. smile

pingme wrote:

developers must earn a levaing that true....The point is not about that..Point is as a donar I feel cheated...the message is very ambiguos about future versions...or what it actually means to me as a end user...whats the impact of this sale on the end user...

I'm sorry you feel cheated, but I think we've been as clear as we can in laying out exactly how the change impacts the users (not at all). I pasted a quote to you a couple posts back that was just about as clear as anything else. And the donation money did go to support the upkeep and running of PunBB, it's not like people donated and then Rickard went off and spent the money on booze tongue