Re: An update

You donated. That's exactly that.

And it's been clearly stated it'll remain free.

Can't we all get along? Really we will have to wait and see what going to happen.... free or not... im here to support any choice that is made I know that Rickard and the team will make the right  choice for all of us..

free beer and chips at Elbekko house next weekend.. I'll bring the strippers...
hehe..
Q

My stuff or my style might sux, but atleast I'm willing to help when I can.
Don't be stupid and help ! We are the stupid one's !!!

Wow, talk about drama. Both Rickard and Smartys have made it clear they will fork it if necessary. What else do you need to hear? I'm glad to hear the developers have gotten some monetary compensation for their hardwork. Seems like a win win to me.

Yea agree. Heard about this today. I would be affected greatly if punbb would "dissappear".
But yea Im happy aswell that you guys have some steady "income" if I didnt misunderstood it all.

*thumbs up*

80 (edited by StevenBullen 2007-10-22 12:56)

StevenBullen wrote:
Rickard wrote:

Apart from sponsoring the project, they wanted to later down the line offer paid-for web services in relation to PunBB (for example commercial grade PunBB hosting).

Instead of an example for what they might do maybe you could give us some facts for what they will do. Unless you sold the rights to PunBB without actually knowing the intentions of this company. Which I doubt....

Dont get me wrong.. if this speeds up PunBB and improves PunBB then I am all for it. I just have my doubts. sad

A comment on this would be aprreciated... Its a pretty simple question. You was very vague on what this new holder wants to do.

StevenBullen wrote:

You was very vague on what this new holder wants to do.

I think I was as clear as the situation warrants. Can't we just wait 6 months and see where we are then? I'm certain you will not be disappointed. Give us the benefit of the doubt.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

At first i got worried and betrayed in some way. Like, it might be within the 20% of the code developed by the 80% of the ppl involved, but i proudly contributed with some small mods/plugins and i actually have some more on it's way. It felt like there was money involved in something i participated actively because i believed it was a free open source project in all its sense.
I felt like this this was going the same way mambo did.
Don't nail me for having this reaction, i wouldn't be honest if i wouldn't mention it when i say my opinion about this.

Now as i red the thread though i changed my opinion.
Punbb has been build up for free, the code is there, available for everybody at cost zero. Rickard, the dev team and all other code contributers have put their time/work without asking anything in return. I don't think anybody has the right to complain. OK, one has the right to feel sad or disappointed about this. But hey, Rickard even said himself that he would fork punbb if necessary.

This might be a good opportunity for everybody to think about how valuable this software is and how cool is to have it for free.

If the dev team would give up of this project today we would have to accept, there's no responsibility by anybody twards nobody.
Besides that, the code would still be as free as it is today, and somebody else could assume the development, that's what open source is... i guess.

On the other hand, i haven't really understood why did the company needed to buy the copyright in order to do whatever they want to do.
I think the worst scenario would be a fork, but punbb has it's license precisely to protect itself whenever necessary.

Keep up

pedrotuga wrote:

On the other hand, i haven't really understood why did the company needed to buy the copyright in order to do whatever they want to do.

Most likely so that they can offer some service and use the PunBB name in advertising or marketing bumph without having to specifically get the authors permission, and risk possibly having that authorisation recinded at some future point in time. If they own the copyright, (so to speak), they can use it to their hearts content in their literature.

Rickard, I'm sorry if this question has been answered anywhere else (I couldn't find the answer though), but would you release security patches for the 1.2.x versions after 1.3 is released? It seems that I won't need the functionality of 1.3 and it would be too hard to upgrade to 1.3 for me (a lot of self-written code, many changes to CSS etc).

Thanks for your work, I'm glad it's paid now.

Yann wrote:

I have been using Punbb for over 3 years on very small to very large websites. Unlikely to the other comments, this is the worst news I have heard so far.

So no, I can not be happy with this news, neither the way this was handled, and people who are should seriously think about it again.

I've been using PUNBB for 2 years on my "large" forum
Before change to PUNBB, I am using PHBB, SMF and VB. Both "really" consuming huge server resources. But, PUNBB? Amazingly fast, simple and my Host did not complain again and didn't kick my forum to another Dedicated Server Hosting that waste my pocket smile

I dont know 1-2 years to go. If PUNBB not free anymore sad

Well, maybe right now I should start to looking new "PunBB" like Forum around there.
Dear Google, please help me..

PunBB, Simplicity has been easier than before
Smart is Simple. Fast is Smart. Think Fast, You'll be Smart..

regards,
PunBB & SMF Fans

Damnit people, learn to read. If it stops being free, which I sincerely doubt, Rickard (or anyone else on this forum I dare say) will fork it.

FBI: Please take the time to read the rest of the topic, where Rickard and I try to address those concerns, and explain to me exactly what bothers you about it

Smartys wrote:

FBI: Please take the time to read the rest of the topic, where Rickard and I try to address those concerns, and explain to me exactly what bothers you about it

Smarty concern is very simple. people have been happy the way Rick and team handled and supported users and development. With limited information of ownership change, people are bit worried about its future path. While there are assurances from the original team, the way acquisition was communicated is probably  causing a panic. Remember similar issues with UBB was acquired, incidentally name of the guy behind ubb was also Rick smile additionally committing that Rick will pork out if necessary adds the uncertainty.

If as a user, I am using punbb, today I don't know, if next versions will be available for free? will it become a paid software? will developers really continue with same dedication? (while assurances are there), and Qs like these are not answered. Like if I am starting a new board today, I will have a hesitation to use punbb, as I do not know whether "future versions" will remain free? or it will take route of minibb....its bit of a risk for my forum if I don't know the future impact of these changes

May be some one from the new company coming to these forums and announcing their vision would have helped to clear many of these concerns. Keeping everything under wraps is what creating these ripples, confusion and slowly loosing confidence.

To give an excellent way of communicating sudden changes I suggest you go thro http://thevbgeek.com If Rick would have communicated in similar fashion taking the community in full confidence, people would have welcomed it with open mind.

just my few cents smile

I don't really get it. I can't wrap my head around the idea that the future of a company owned GPL project would be any different from a individually owned GPL project. If the developers decides to call it quits, that would happen regardless of who owns the copyright. And the result would be the exact same thing, someone else can take over where the others left.

Now, don't take this as a hint of every dev jumping the boat, that's just something everyone seems to assume lately. I'm going back to work on PunXS now tongue

You see though pingme, I think we've addressed all of your concerns multiple times. And if you can't accept what Rickard and I and the rest of the developers say, then I don't know how much this is about the sale as it is about you not trusting us wink
Now then:

Smarty concern is very simple. people have been happy the way Rick and team handled and supported users and development. With limited information of ownership change, people are bit worried about its future path. While there are assurances from the original team, the way acquisition was communicated is probably  causing a panic.

I wouldn't say there's limited information, I'd say there's quite a bit. We're certainly not hiding anything from you guys.

additionally committing that Rick will pork out if necessary adds the uncertainty.

If I'm understanding you correctly, you're saying that Rickard making clear that he will fork the code if it's, for example, taken non-free is a BAD thing? You'll have to explain that one to me wink

If as a user, I am using punbb, today I don't know, if next versions will be available for free? will it become a paid software? will developers really continue with same dedication? (while assurances are there), and Qs like these are not answered.

Yes, they are. Unless, of course, you choose to not trust our word, which as I said is an issue entirely separate from the sale wink
But, to clarify for anyone reading:
- PunBB will remain free thanks to the GPL.
- In the words of Rickard, "If push comes to shove, I'll fork it myself!"
- We're still developing with even more dedication than before (excluding periods of real life peeking through, which I had for the past couple weeks).

May be some one from the new company coming to these forums and announcing their vision would have helped to clear many of these concerns. Keeping everything under wraps is what creating these ripples, confusion and slowly loosing confidence.

I don't know that they have fully decided what their ultimate, final plans are for PunBB. However, as we keep pointing out, it doesn't really matter what they decide. PunBB is still PunBB. It is released under the GPL. The code can not be retroactively closed. The code can be forked. Thus, if they make a decision like "abolish free PunBB," the code will be forked.

To give an excellent way of communicating sudden changes I suggest you go thro http://thevbgeek.com If Rick would have communicated in similar fashion taking the community in full confidence, people would have welcomed it with open mind.

If I'm reading what you linked properly, I have to disagree with you. I think we've been at least as open as that (and the outcome has been more positive) tongue
At the site you linked, the person explained that he would be stopping development and support to focus on a family business in crisis.
The first post was August 5th and explained the very basics, saying rather unclearly "As such, I will be absent from the site for the unforeseeable future, leaving me unable to support and develop. This crisis could potentially be rectified by as soon as the end of next week, however it could also take substantially longer."
The next post was August 19th, two weeks later, and provided little information other than "there's still a problem, and I don't know how exactly you guys will be supported, but I'm thinking about it, and I'll refund some money to some people who I can't support"
The NEXT post is a month later and simply says "the problem is fixed but I can't support you guys anymore, I still haven't decided exactly how you will be supported"

I should note, I do think the issue was handled well on the site given the circumstances the person was working under, I just don't think it stands as a shining example of what to do. Ideally, he would have found someone else to support the code for him much quicker: in fact, he probably could have paid someone to do it. I also find it interesting that you compared the sale to a crisis when in reality it's just the opposite. tongue

thanks smarty, you at least convinced me to give punbb team  benefit of doubt wink

Hurrah big_smile

93 (edited by pedrotuga 2007-10-29 14:54)

I think the only possible concern, not likely to happen at all IMO though,  is the consequences to comunity support, which is basically THE support punbb has.
All other concerns don't appear valid to me. Dunno, just my 2 cents.

YAY! a gossip thread! bah...

pedrotuga wrote:

I think the only possible concern, not likely to happen at all IMO though,  is the consequences to comunity support, which is basically THE support punbb has.
All other concerns don't appear valid to me. Dunno, just my 2 cents.

YAY! a gossip thread! bah...

No concern. Create a fork, migrate the community. big_smile big_smile If the need ever arose, that is. big_smile

Some people are really suggestible and they just read the wrong posts. roll

But hey, at least the panic has subsided. big_smile I for one am glad to hear that you guys have been sponsored ... that's a pretty tough thing to get sometimes!  And since you get some money while developing, hey, I am glad we get a better product. smile

When??? Whenn??

big_smile big_smile

Smartys wrote:

Sorry, and thank you Smarty smile

Maybe, just like SMF did. Use donation for "next version" or "special" edition of PunBB? smile
Btw, PunBB still amazing for me, simplicity, easy to understand and modified code compare to SMF..
But, still to hard for newbie..

PunBB, Simplicity has been easier than before
Smart is Simple. Fast is Smart. Think Fast, You'll be Smart..

regards,
PunBB & SMF Fans

Thank you

I know I'm a new user here, actually I just signed up as I was going to download PunBB for testing as a new forum I'de be working on.

While having a sponsor is a good thing this doesn't seem to be the case in that ownership was transfered - that's a bit more than just a sponsor. This is also not necessarily a bad thing either.

What I would like to ask is whether the new owner is the same SoftDeluxe that owns the Free Download Manager product (also GPLed) that is listed on SpyWare Guide?

NyteOwl wrote:

What I would like to ask is whether the new owner is the same SoftDeluxe that owns the Free Download Manager product (also GPLed) that is listed on SpyWare Guide?

Yes. That's actually a site we came across as well, when we were first discussing the agreement. Paul pointed out that there are similar company listings on that site for Opera, Macromedia, Mozilla, Agnitum, Kaspersky, Kerio, Iomega, mIRC, MySpace, Netscape, Sun Microsystems, SpyBot, steganos, Toshiba, Winzip, ZoneLabs, etc. wink
In other words, a company listing there is not indicative of spyware. In this case, it's indicative that the software "phones home" at some point (to check for updates, validate a license key, etc).