Topic: New user having some troubles.

Hi, I've recently purchased a domain name, and a hosting service in the hopes of grabbing my own piece of the www. One of my main intentions was to have a forum and its what im trying to implement on my site first. I'm using dreamweaver cs3 to create my site and have read the installation instructions and watched the video tutorial to get punbb installed. the hosting i purchased is on a dedicated server (i specifically chose this as a pose to just regular hosting as it said that it had MY SQL support) from these people: http://www.123-reg.co.uk/dedicated-server-hosting/ i chose the windows server and the cheaper option. Ive come to trying to install my forum but i just get this message when i go to the install php page 'This PHP environment does not have support for any of the databases that PunBB supports. PHP needs to have support for either MySQL, PostgreSQL or SQLite in order for PunBB to be installed.'

If anyone can help me out in getting started it would be very much appreciated smile

Thank you

Ross

Re: New user having some troubles.

You need to talk to your host about that: your version of PHP does not have the mysql or mysqli extensions enabled.

3 (edited by Utchin 2007-11-18 15:35)

(in my opnioin)
For a begginer you have bright a complex hosting kit which i dont think you will use to its maxium. you have got a dedicated server to host a small site? I would of recommended a simple hosting pacakge to get you started.

the web hosts on 123-reg donst come with MYsql but other hosts do! and for cheeper prices! and even more than you are getting with 123 reg

Sorry. Unactive due to personal life.

4 (edited by eric235u 2007-11-18 15:40)

hi.  first off there's plenty of managed hosts who provide mysql / php support.  the os will pretty much be invisible to you.  it sounds like you've purchased more than you need.  but that's okay.  you will have more neat stuff to play with.  :)  i've never used ms iis but i'm sure the general ideas are the same.  so when you try to install, punbb complains there's no db?  well are you mysql running?  on linux at terminal you could do something like,

[eric@firedragon ~]$ yum list mysql
Installed Packages
mysql.x86_64                             5.0.45-4.fc8           installed

so then i know it's installed.  now i would go about configuration.  then make sure i have php and apache and config that as well.  then drop punbb in the proper directory and see what happens.

fiddle around, read some manuals and give us more details.  i'm sure there's some ms guys around here willing to lend a hand.

good luck man!

// by the time i typed this two people already responded :p