Re: Search words are not indexed if a appostrophe is used l'éléphant

to your knowledge, has this issue been fixed elswhere, in another thread maybe?

I don't think so.

May I put the emphasis on the importance of this issue, as ALL the words that begins with a vowel may be used with an apostrophe in, you guessed it, French language..(and probably other languages as well).

My rough estimations are that this bug ignores one third of the potential results in a French environnement.

I'm no php developper but a simple Punbb Donor (even if my title doesnt say so) and I think that would be a great achievement if this community could focus on it again for a while... 2 years later, maybe new ideas will emerge? (since you guys are now more experienced than you were in 2005).

Myself, I've stopped asking for this major bug fix, since it will be fixed in 1.3 anyway.

You could do a substitution for "l'". But as far as I know the French language, there are too many exceptions on whatever seems to be the rule to do that decently.

Yup, apostrophe are used for other things than ?l??

That much I knew. Point is just, there's no good way to fix this with the current system I think, unless someone takes the time of converting all French language rules into a substitution system tongue

Jérémie wrote:

Myself, I've stopped asking for this major bug fix, since it will be fixed in 1.3 anyway.

Really? smile
sry I didn't know..

Do you think the code to solve this will be published separately? I'm running 1.2.13 with a dozen of mods implemented, I don't know if I can get motivated enough to spend another 30+ hours re-doing all my forum..

I doubt it, but it's maybe already there somewhere as a mod. Look for MySQL fulltext search capability. Or,you could mod it yourself, I think it's a pretty simple thing in the php source (it wasn't a bug at first, for Rickard this was a feature).