Topic: PunCake launched.

PunCake is a new CMS project that uses the framework CakePHP ( which uses the concept of MVC ) and integrates PunBB.

The main goal is to migrate Puntal (2.x) to PunCake.

Re: PunCake launched.

ok, and what can it do. So far your site looks like a basic install of punBB using left blocks? Maybe some screen shots?

Hello,
It's not a basic install of punbb with left blocks, it's a fresh punbb install with puncake -
Instead of screenshots look at http://google.com//search?q=propuls%C3%A9+par+puntal or something like http://www.team-bonobo.com [ link to page with very NSFW photo removed /pogenwurst ] etc...

KindReGaRdS

persoanly i never liked DaFun Spirit, just they way ot was presented, and puntal.

What does this give us, compated with a standard punbb instalation?

Sorry. Unactive due to personal life.

This give you nothing of course ... if you dont like CMS based on PunBB with MVC paradigm, forget this post.

foxmask wrote:

This give you nothing of course ... if you don't like CMS based on PunBB with MVC paradigm, forget this post.

Honestly, can you give us a break down of what the differences is?
1. what are the functions?
2. A to do list, etc.
3. How can people help or what do u need done?

I believe without people giving pros and cons about there experiences with different portal system for punbb how can puncake be better or worse?

*without Matt and other people cons or pros!! I would not be able to do a lot of stuff to all my punbb sites.

Punbb has a great community for support as well as it's hecklers or haters.

Can't we just get alone?

Q

My stuff or my style might sux, but atleast I'm willing to help when I can.
Don't be stupid and help ! We are the stupid one's !!!

powered by puncake

I dont think so some how.

Also i agree with the others above me, seems pointless if you dont explain what it does.
What have you changed code wise and explain your understanding of the model-view-controller approach?

I dont see a benefit of using this sorry.

Hello

quaker wrote:
foxmask wrote:

This give you nothing of course ... if you don't like CMS based on PunBB with MVC paradigm, forget this post.

Honestly, can you give us a break down of what the differences is?

Difference between what and what ?

a CMS with and wihout MVC ?

quaker wrote:

1. what are the functions?
2. A to do list, etc.

for PunCake ?  exactly the same as Puntal provides : articles module / download module / lexicon / directory / blog etc... as the project just start a lot has to be done but the roadmap is to rebuild all those modules.

quaker wrote:

I believe without people giving pros and cons about there experiences with different portal system for punbb how can puncake be better or worse?

if everyone understand the MVC approach everyone can understand why i choose this one too.
and i dont affirm puncake is better than an other, i'm just saying "hey look, we can use a MVC framework that use punBB"

I was thinking that it was cool to discover another way to use PunBB.

quaker wrote:

*without Matt and other people cons or pros!! I would not be able to do a lot of stuff to all my punbb sites.
Punbb has a great community for support as well as it's hecklers or haters.
Can't we just get alone?
Q

i dont think it's a positive attitude to says "i dont like this or that" whitout explaining why... where are the cons pros in that ?

quaker wrote:

3. How can people help or what do u need done?

i ask nothing but if people are interesting in this kind of approach / project - just join it .

KindRegards.

9 (edited by StevenBullen 2007-12-26 10:12)

EDIT: Removed post.

That PunCake homepage... should it not have "Powered by PunBB" on it.

absolutly not
the forum contains it but the home page is not made by punBB ...

11 (edited by StevenBullen 2007-12-26 12:26)

Sorry but your very wrong.

PunBB is not just a bit of forum software... its the whole code... THE WHOLE CODE.... All your source code is produced by PunBB not by PunCake. Unless I am mistaken...

Using even the source code from punbb is classed as using punbb... your user links integrate with punbb... everything is punbb... NOT PUN CAKE.

If you can prove otherwise then no problem.

EDIT: plus...

foxmask wrote:

absolutly not
the forum contains it but the home page is not made by punBB ...

Made by PunBB... I never said anything about made by punbb... I said powered by punbb. Like i said above it dont look like your code... it looks like the standard PUNBB layout. How is that not anything to do with punbb

Really to clear things up. i have designed a portal system that to me and other very simple and easy to use with out all the extra code. it include a few edits and 1 new page called index.
I have always ask for help in a nice way and i have always gave help when i could.

The lack of the way this was presented "either you do or don't " seem to me a little harsh when asking for help, but when someone might offer a con instead of a pro to this .. a negative reply was given.

We are all people behind a machine. I find that punbb support to be the best out of any community of other software or scripts.

No where in the world will you get a faster response for free.

I started out by asking for help and since then i have listen to everyone that has gave me the pro's and con's about anything i do with punbb from scripts to styles.

To be honest i would say or ask "hey anyone working on a cms for punbb(not a portal)?"
how can i do this with MVC ?
or
I have started coding form MVC and it looks like something that might be interested. here is my example.

Here the blunt true about things.

i probley would never use it. to me it simply another portal system! Which i have designed the fastest portal system out very cut and dry. ! With the help of steve and matt and others i have created a whole new index.php that being use on almost every punbb site.. (almost)
But if you needed help I would help you and so would many of the great guru's at punbb.

p.s. if the code u used is punbb code...
silly not to put powered by punbb

p.s.s. steve reminder about my code! lmao>>>

Q

My stuff or my style might sux, but atleast I'm willing to help when I can.
Don't be stupid and help ! We are the stupid one's !!!

If I got it right you're willing to develop a CMS using CakePHP and ship punbb within its distribution.

I can't see how one can take advantage of the MVC pattern in a more efective way than punbb already [kind of] does. You will wnd up stumble on punbb's template engine anyway.

Also, cakephp spotlight feature is its ORM, which is kind of useless when we talk about an integration to an existent database which is used by a fully functional software.
Dunno if i made myself very clear in this last paragraph...

14 (edited by Utchin 2007-12-26 20:18)

What have you achieved so far for this project?

And i didn't want to go into detail about why i didn't like something else, because i wanted to stick to the topic wink If i bring up points, we may end up having a discussion about it, when possible a fantastic project is what we are meant to talk about smile

I will always put a link back one way or another to punbb, I'm proud (so to speak) that is using what i believe the best forum software, And i encourage others to use it too.

Sorry. Unactive due to personal life.

Personally, I think the idea of a MVC style CMS that integrates with PunBB is good news. I don't understand what some of you have against this project. Well done, foxmask!

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Hi foxmask   
I have always appreciated your contributions on PunBB as well as your work for Puntal. Even if I do not have the knowledge to help you, you have all my sympathy and my encouragement for your new project open for the future..

Amicalement.

Hello,

@Rickard : thanks for your support
@Falconflyz : i dunno i have a so sympathic friend/fan ;-)
@pedroduga : punBB is used for the forum part and CakePHP is for the portal one. For the ORM, the developper team of CakePHP itself agrees about this, which has to be improved.

@matt : i'm proud too to use punBB and i never removed nor licence info in the source nor copyright in the footer of the forum. Rickard also know my fight against another software who stole our sources (punbb/puntal) so you can be reasure about the respect of that point.
For the rest, puncake is in early dev and all i've made is just using info from punBB and display them on the portal page + admin panel of puncake.
But as you said you didnt like (the code of) Puntal (all the colors are in the Nature, i dont judge anyone, on the contruary several CMS for punBB boost the creativity of each others) so you wont like puncake too, even if puncake uses a MVC framework, the rest will be the same.

And at least for the "stupid" name of the project : everything regarding CakePHP is speaking about cooking / cake / food / bakery and so on, and "puncake" is almost "pancake" ; "powered by ..."  a cookie or a cake is just funny ;-)

Kind Regards

I did not mean to offend. I just wanted to know what it was about...

This is music to my ears though.... my point was more about the copyright on the front page which I thought was required. But as rickard did not comment on this then I am guessing its fine. Which is great because I have a portal system that will be released in a few weeks and I wanted to just have the same. Thanks and sorry... tongue

Very good news for me. smile
Everybody should necessary to support a serious project which integrates Punbb and a CMS. They are so rare. wink
There is some bridges for CMS: Artiphp, Typolight, Logicfury, and Website Baker but not a relly integration as Puntal has done. smile

Benoît V.
My Board