Topic: Dual license

I'm considering releasing the next version of PunBB under two licenses. One of them will be GPL and the other will be a commercial license. Much like MySQL. You can download, modify and use MySQL anyway you want as long as you follow the GPL. However, if you feel that you don't want to be restricted by the terms and conditions of the GPL, you can buy a commercial license. I'm considering something similar.

Example: A company sells some kind of portal system that includes a discussion forum. If they were to use PunBB in it's current state, they would have to release the portal software under the GPL. A preferable solution for them would be to buy a commercial license and thus be able to release their portal software (including PunBB) under a commercial license.

The commercial license will not "harm" PunBB in any way and PunBB will still be free in every way. I just want to give people the option of "buying out" of the GPL if they see fit.

What do you think of this?

Also, I've stated before that it never was my intention of making any money off PunBB. What I meant when I said that was that PunBB will never be a completely commercial product. It will ALWAYS be free and it will always be released under the GPL (or an even "looser" license).

NOTE: I haven't made up my mind about this so take everything I've written here with a grain of salt.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Re: Dual license

Well as you say, it will still be free under some kind of licence, so I cannot see anything bad with this happening, probably only good things smile

I can't think of any problems with this, except of course people who pay money expect you to be sitting at the end of a support hotline.

In fact it could be a good thing, I am sure that mysql has only developed so far so fast because the commercial licences are funding the development. There is no reason why you couldn't sell a commercial license right now if you wanted to on a one off basis if somebody approached you about it.

Yea, if you sell it under a commercia license, the commercial users will except some kind of personal support besides a forum.

I will not offer any "official support" under the commercial license. I just don't have the time. The license will exist solely for people who want to avoid the restrictions of the GPL.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

As long as you make sure to say so on whatever agreement there is for signing up for the paid license, that should be fine.

I think its a good idea since some people may not want to release their product wich includes your BB under the GPL.

go for it tongue

That kind of sounds like a good idea but please make the versions free. Like one where you can remove the copyright notice and one under GPL. sad

Of course. One version will be completely free (GPL) and one will be commercial. I haven't decided yet though.

If your sole purpose is to allow commercial entities to use the software without being forced to release source, could I suggest the use of the BSD or MIT license over the GPL?

Well, I wouldn't say it was my sole purpose. Making a dollar or two now and then wouldn't be the end of the world :)

lol - and what's wrong with that? smile

14 (edited by Lore 2004-02-27 19:48)

Good news... I have some commercial ideas for PunBB!

I'll do the whole dual license thing only if the need for it arises.

Hopefully there wont be a major difference in mods and support...

---------> PLEASE REMEMBER I GOT THE FIRST EVER POST OF PUNBB 1.1! <---------
---------> PLEASE REMEMBER I GOT THE FIRST EVER POST OF PUNBB 1.1! <---------

No difference at all. The commercially licensed version will be identical to the GPL version. The only difference between them will be the license.

in my country said

What is delicious than the honey
it's free vinegar smile

If your people come crazy, you will not need to your mind any more.

@zaher: Very nice saying, more delicious than honey is free vinegar... I can't say I agree though, since nobody says honey can't be free sometimes. Usually none is sad
But the saying is still quite good.

@Rick: as the dual licensing mode shouldn't mean any additional costs to you, I'd say go ahead and who knows? You might make a buck or two.

However, don't rely much on that, on my experience, large companies design their own software for these "small" things, and small companies really prefer to save as much money as possible. Which leaves the middle-sized companies... I've never done well with them, so it might be worth trying.