Topic: 1.3 suggestion - bbcode for font size

I made a few searches and surprisingly I only found one single topic talking about this. I would guess this would be talked about kind of often.
Is there any plans of adding bbcode for the size in punbb 1.3?
I think that's kind of a basic feature and I don't see so much disadvantages of adding one more tag to the parser.

Ok... maybe some tags like [h1], [h2] [h3] instead might be better.

Re: 1.3 suggestion - bbcode for font size

If anything, I'd prefer the heading elements, as they can be consistently styled.

Indeed. Allowing style directly would be hell.

Headers are scheduled afaik for 1.3 final. Won't be in the first beta though.

5 (edited by Jérémie 2008-01-15 22:52)

More like h4 to h6 I believe, since h1 through h3 are already used on the page.

The more user friendly way of doing it would be something like {subtitle level 1}, {subtitle level 2}, {subtitle level 3} ({} instead of [], because I'm not talking about BB syntax here), that would be automatically be transcoded into h4, h5, h6.

Maybe something like [st1], [st2], [st3], with alias for [h4], [h5], [h6] for cross-platform BBcode consistency (with [h1]~[h3] creating a parse warning or something).

I've often thought that allowing a selection of text sizes would work. The BBCode would be [size=24]text[/text]

Where only, say, 8, 16, 24 and 32 are permitted. But I guess if you're going to limit the allowed sizes then you might as well use <h4>, 5, etc.

7 (edited by Jérémie 2008-01-16 02:01)

<hn> have much more meaning then font-size (which has exactly none).

But I'm pretty sure, at some point there will be several extenstion that will allow any bbcode you could think of smile

Besides, what css would you use with size=xx attribute? Remember you can't use pixel-width font size in CSS, thanks to MSIE.

Yep... headers are easier to remember. I don't think there's any problem in matching for example [h1] to <h4>, [h2] to <h5> and [h3] to <h6>.
By the way, I take the opportunity to suggest a hook right after the bbcode arrays so on can easily create a costumized bbcode plugin.

Except only  h5 and h6 should really be used in posts as otherwise the you destroy the semantic structure of the document.

pedrotuga: The hook is already planned, we want to make it possible for people to replace BBCode with Textile or improve BBCode