Re: MySQL version poll

one of my hosting is 4.1.22
and the other is 5. somethin tongue

Hob Bramble wrote:

4.0.27-standard

Might I ask what host that is?

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

midPhase - http://midphase.com

I probably ought to get on them about upgrading that...

-Master Hob Bramble of Willowbottom

Pardon me, good sir, but it appears that your diving apparatus has a leak.
Perpetual Thursday | Alternative-Internet.com | hobbramble.deviantart.com

Hob Bramble wrote:

Apparently, you can just ask and they'll move you to a server with MySQL 5. Weird that they're running completely different MySQL versions on different servers big_smile

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Rickard wrote:
Hob Bramble wrote:

Apparently, you can just ask and they'll move you to a server with MySQL 5. Weird that they're running completely different MySQL versions on different servers big_smile

Probably to make it easier for people. The same reason a lot of hosts run both PHP 4 and PHP 5.

MySQL 5.0.45 on all servers.

MySQL 5.0.45

Rickard wrote:

Weird that they're running completely different MySQL versions on different servers big_smile

A lot are. Especially since MySQL changed its password() field handling (at 4.1, I think) and it was a support nightmare from what I hear.

Jérémie wrote:
Rickard wrote:

Weird that they're running completely different MySQL versions on different servers big_smile

A lot are. Especially since MySQL changed its password() field handling (at 4.1, I think) and it was a support nightmare from what I hear.

That was only a problem if you had a different version of the client libraries. This isn't an issue for a hosting company because when they update MySQL, they just recompile PHP at the same time.

5.0.44 on my host.

Welcome to my WoW guild site, the Eternal Reach.

You can also visit Chita, a site built by me, a feral paradise for feline animals.

Rickard wrote:
Jérémie wrote:
Rickard wrote:

That was only a problem if you had a different version of the client libraries. This isn't an issue for a hosting company because when they update MySQL, they just recompile PHP at the same time.

Except when you tell a user that their code using mysql_* functions needs to start using MySQLi functions.

Smartys wrote:

Except when you tell a user that their code using mysql_* functions needs to start using MySQLi functions.

Yeah, but that's only if you need to use any of the added features. The mysql extension works with later version of MySQL as well.

MySQL 5.0.45

I'm running MySQL 4.1.22-standard-log. So I don't mind if you drop 4.0 support. smile

MySQL 4.1.22-log

MySQL 5.0.45-log

Rickard wrote:
Smartys wrote:

Yeah, but that's only if you need to use any of the added features. The mysql extension works with later version of MySQL as well.

Except that the default password handling was changed, which would lead to those "Client does not support authentication protocol requested by server; consider upgrading MySQL client." messages

Smartys wrote:

Except that the default password handling was changed, which would lead to those "Client does not support authentication protocol requested by server; consider upgrading MySQL client." messages

Only if you build the mysql extension against the old 4.0 client libraries. I think most hosts build both the mysql and mysqli extensions against the latest client libraries which shouldn't lead to any problems.

5.1: 2.4%
5.0: 58.5%
4.1: 34.1%
4.0: 4.9%

Now, some of you have responded "x.x on all servers" or something along those lines which probably means the percentages for 5.0 and 4.1 should be a bit higher. Also, out of the two who have responded that your host uses 4.0, we know that at least one of them offers 5.0 if you ask for it.

I didn't specified it, but yup I have 5.0 branch support for almost all my servers/domains: 20 to a little over 40 (depending on how one would count).

It's still only one thread on the English speaking support forum, so it's not the general Pun's admin population. But, still... PHP4 is out, and MySQL 3/4.0 seems to be out too.

MySQL 5.0.32

Darmowe forum - Polish free forum hosting

MySQL 5.0.27
Rows: 1658590
Size: 76.89 MB

Alright, based on this, we have decided to drop 4.0 support. In other words, if you intend to upgrade to PunBB 1.3, make sure your hosting company is running 4.1 or later. If they don't offer this support, switch to a different provider big_smile