Topic: Difference between blogs and forum?

NULL

I love you

Re: Difference between blogs and forum?

Any one know the difference between blogs and forums. In my point of view blogs related to single user and forums related to multiple user........is it corrent

I love you

Forum is a where you can talk about stuff and discuss, a blog is not a place to discuss stuff.

FSX, what about blogs that have comments? Then their more alike; Someone says something, and then other people respond.

Blogs with comments are just to get a reply from the views... you dont find converstations being held like a forum...

Your avrage blog is where 1 person posts things that intrest them, they want to share....

Sorry. Unactive due to personal life.

There is also a semantic and structural difference. A blog post is essentially an article that has been published and stands on its own merit. Any comments will (or should) relate directly to that article and are normally of far lesser importance. With a forum the topic post may start a thread but is not of any greater importance than the replies that follow. In fact, it may be of less importance if its a question and all the useful information is contained in the replies. As matt1298 indicated, with a forum its all about the conversation, with a blogg, its all about the article.

Are we talking about software or content (that is made available through software)? I would guess the original question is talking about software.

what i would do is go to ask.com and ask that question... and get a simple answer... or waste more time searching threw googles billion pages..

Q

My stuff or my style might sux, but atleast I'm willing to help when I can.
Don't be stupid and help ! We are the stupid one's !!!

Questions have arisen over when to post a blog item and when to post a forum topic here on Communicate or Die. Here are some guidelines and tips to help clear up the differences:

Blogs
Blogs are the public face of the Communicate or Die community and are meant for public consumption by the general Internet population.

Blogs are for disseminating opinions, knowledge and insights from an author to the readers.

Blogs are much more likely to be promoted by moderators to the front page and will therefore be disseminated throughout the Internet via RSS feed.

Blog titles should be interesting and descriptive and geared to the wider Internet population. The content of blog entries should also be tailored to the wider Internet community.

Forum topics
As a general rule, forum topics are more for internal communications between Communicate or Die members.

Forum topics seek input and feedback from others.

Forum topics generally contain discussions around unanswered questions that the community is trying to figure out. These discussions can happen over many weeks, months, or even years.

Q

*  A blog is owned by just one person, or a small group of people. The blog owner chooses the topics of entries on the blog, and controls who can read and comment on these entries. Although people can comment on entries, this is not the main focus of the blog, and it is possible for the blog owner to create private entries which cannot be viewed by anyone else. Because the blog owner has complete control over what appears on their blog, the blog can form a personalised reflection of the work, interests and ideas of one individual.

* Forums are not controlled by one person - instead, any member of the forum can start a topic for discussion. Forums rely on responses from the community to initial posts in order to form a discussion, reflecting the interests of the group rather than of an individual.

Q

Just to help out those of you who might be unsure about this.

Use the blog to express your ideas, feelings, thoughts, etc., about a topic or an experience. Typically, a post in a blog is more elaborated both in contents and in style. People may post comments to your blog posts, so you'll have some feedback from the people who read them. Think of them as "texts" you are writing for the others to read and comment upon.

Use the forum when you want to develop a conversation with other people, sharing your views/opinions on a subject and listening to what the others have to say about that. Then you can reply back to their replies, and they to yours, as in a normal conversation among many people. Typically, the style in discussion forums is more informal, half-way between oral and written language.

Some people do not seem to be able to get their heads around the difference between blogs and discussion forums. To my mind, although at a surface level they have some similarities - at a deeper level they are fundamentally different.

There are two dimensions to their differences - the first the psychological dimension and the second the technology dimension. One of the major psychological differences is that you own your weblog - it is YOURS - and it represents a history of YOUR thinking - so you take pride in its ownership - something that does not make a lot of sense in a discussion forum.

On the technology front - Ray Ozzie sums up one of the major differences:

In traditional discussion, topics and their responses are contained and organized within a centralized database. The relationship between topics and responses is generally maintained in a manner specific to the nature of the database - that is, in newsgroups the messages might be related by Message-ID hyperlinks or crudely by title, in Notes they are related by the $REF hyperlink, and so on. Summary-level "views" are generated through database queries. And that has been the general architectural design pattern of public discussions for quite some time.

But blogs accomplish public discussion through a far different architectural design pattern. In the Well's terminology, taken to its extreme, you own your own words. If someone on a blog "posts a topic", others can respond, but generally do so in their own blogs, hyperlinked back to the topic's permalink. This goes on and on, back and forth. In essence, it's the same hyperlinking mechanism as the traditional discussion design pattern, except that the topics and responses are spread out all over the Web. And the reason that it "solves" the signal:noise problem is that nobody bothers to link to the "flamers" or "spammers", and thus they remain out of the loop, or form their own loops away from the mainstream discussion. A pure architectural solution to a nagging social issue that crops up online.

a break down of the difference over all
http://www.suestudios.com/articles/article23.htm

Q

I'm tempted to retool PunBB's look and use it for a blog.

Why not just use the User Blogs and save yourself that work?

Unless I'm mistaken, the original concept of the blog was merely as a jump board for people to publish their personal opinions, views, or otherwise meaningless twaddle. A forum is exactly that. A discussion forum.

guardian34 wrote:

I'm tempted to retool PunBB's look and use it for a blog.

simply why not use the punbb blog script? have best of both worlds?

Q