Re: Fancy URL's

When you change the Url's and don't have what they need, like the .htacces the site is un-usable from what i can tell

I have a feeling that this could be a new: beginners support question.

Sorry. Unactive due to personal life.

I'll post mine later on which works fine. I'd do it now, but for some reason Hamachi didn't start on my home server -.-

I've uploaded .htaccess to root (upload directory), changed in Admin -> Settings -> File based

Not Found

The requested URL /rewrite.php was not found on this server.
Apache/2.0.59 (Win32) PHP/5.2.0 Server at localhost Port 80

Changed:

RewriteRule . /rewrite.php [L]

to

RewriteRule . rewrite.php [L]

Same result.

[root@sybdbserver punbb-1.3-dev]# cat upload/.htaccess 
# BEGIN PunBB
<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
RewriteEngine On
#RewriteBase /
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
</IfModule>

# END PunBB

This works fine for me in a subdirectory (/punbb-1.3-dev/upload)

Sorry... this works:

# BEGIN PunBB

<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
RewriteEngine On
RewriteBase /software/punbb-1.3-beta/upload/
</IfModule>

# END PunBB

guardian34 wrote:

I had to set the RewriteBase and change the RewriteRule to:

That worked for me as well. Removed the RewriteBase entry and changed the . /rewrite.php to . rewrite.php

It all depends on your setup: some people need the RewriteBase line (and having it in and set correctly can't hurt). I am going to change the RewriteRule though, since it does seem like nobody actually needs the absolute path when RewriteBase is set correctly.

I didn't work for me first, but I edited the RewriteBase and RewriteRule and it worked.

# BEGIN PunBB

<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
RewriteEngine On
RewriteBase /punbb13beta/
</IfModule>

# END PunBB

Maybe it is an idea when you activate URL rewriting punbb makes an htaccess file?

Yeah, I think I'm going to look into detecting the presence of a .htaccess file based on your SERVER_SOFTWARE (it's a $_SERVER variable I think) and generating the file/stopping you if it can't be done.

Well, my host has said the following to me so I don't know what else to do.

Dear Dale,

Thank you for contacting Westhost. What you were told earlier by Earl is correct. I am sorry, we do not provide support for .htaccess files. The Apache server is running as it should, if you would like help in .htaccess files, you might be able to find support in our forums.westhost.com site.

Merely cosmetic but, in Admin -> Settings, is this "6. Setup URL Scheme (SEF URL's ) for your boards pages" supposed to dot underline the SEF term?

How do I customize the SEF fancy filenames?
For example, I would like to localize some of the filenames. Is it possible/feasible? I was looking at include/url/* and at include/rewrite_rules.php, am I correct or should I look at any other file?

you may also have a look at include/url/ files wink

bingiman: Then no fancy URLs tongue
fmimoso: Wait, there will be an official extension which will allow you to have language specific URLs

You know this is becoming a big deal for me now. If it is my host says that the Apache server is reading the files, then why is it not working for me as it does for others? Should I be looking at a new host?

If your host refuses to look into an issue when there is obviously a need to look into it? Yes

I'm assuming you're on a shared host where you can't edit Apache's config files.

fmimoso wrote:

Merely cosmetic but, in Admin -> Settings, is this "6. Setup URL Scheme (SEF URL's ) for your boards pages" supposed to dot underline the SEF term?

How do I customize the SEF fancy filenames?
For example, I would like to localize some of the filenames. Is it possible/feasible? I was looking at include/url/* and at include/rewrite_rules.php, am I correct or should I look at any other file?

http://punbb.org/download/extensions/lo … chemes.zip

Smartys wrote:

If your host refuses to look into an issue when there is obviously a need to look into it? Yes

I'm assuming you're on a shared host where you can't edit Apache's config files.

I am on a VPS account Smartys. I looked at the httpd.conf file. Could I paste it here for you to look at?

You can set up a virtual directory or something and set the rules in there.

Which files do I have to copy to /lang/language/url/ ?

All those in /include/url/ ?

Any further instructions? smile

Just create a folder called localized_rewrite_schemes in the extensions folder and put the manifest.xml in there.

bingiman: You need to set AllowOverride to All I believe

elbekko wrote:

Just create a folder called localized_rewrite_schemes in the extensions folder and put the manifest.xml in there.

First thing I've done. Then installed it (Admin -> Extensions -> Install extensions).

Then...?

You can add your own version of the various include/url/*.php files in the lang/language_name/url/ folder.
And the proper rewrite rules for them can be added using /lang/language_name/rewrite_rules.php.

I got it to work now. I just changed every instance to AllowOverride  to all.

Sweet, congrats smile