htmlspecialchars() should convert that.

Re: Board Description - HTML

Post two in this thread concerns removing that, however. big_smile

Yes, but if you read the entire topic you see that we added it back in wink

Smartys wrote:

I'm missing something then. I can see where it's suggested, but not actually said. big_smile

MattF wrote:
Smartys wrote:

I'm missing something then. I can see where it's suggested, but not actually said. big_smile

http://punbb.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p … 80#p108480

I would have thought that anybody who has changed the doctype to use xhtml1.1 or who is using content negotiation to serve the pages as xml is not going to make such an error in the first place.

No wonder I missed that then. It only mentioned p tags. big_smile

Paul wrote:

I would have thought that anybody who has changed the doctype to use xhtml1.1 or who is using content negotiation to serve the pages as xml is not going to make such an error in the first place.

Absolutely agree on that part. smile I assume that there would still be quite a few other areas that need sanitising too to make everything 1.1 compliant, or has 1.3 progressed in that regard? If anyone, (which is why I mentioned it being a fairly moot argument), makes it fully XML compliant, they'd have far more than just the description to contend with. big_smile

My test rig is running as xml so it works fine as a vanilla install with no funny content. What happens when people start playing with it is another matter. In fact its a very good way of dubugging the markup particularly as Opera's xml error page is very informative.

Good to know the base system is valid. Be hopes the mod creators keep to that philosophy this time round. big_smile Does Opera give more descriptive output that just the parsing error and location, as in the Moz browsers?

Yes, Opera's error message is much better, not only more informative but it makes the error much easier to locate. It also gives you the option of switching to text/html if you want to view the page without fixing it immediatelly.

Rickard wrote:

Now that we're using UTF-8, there's really no need for entities. You should be able to just enter the actual character instead.

oh behave!

How many people really know how to use, for example, an english keyboard to enter foreign characters - let alone certain characters from the English language. Don't we already have a thread about the use of an ellipsis - how would that be entered as a character via the keyboard ? Entities will always be required, IMHO.

my mind is on a permanent tangent
byUsers forum

Rich Pedley wrote:

How many people really know how to use, for example, an english keyboard to enter foreign characters - let alone certain characters from the English language. Don't we already have a thread about the use of an ellipsis - how would that be entered as a character via the keyboard ? Entities will always be required, IMHO.

And how exactly do people insert special characters into, for example, Word documents? If you're on Windows, just bring up the character map (charmap.exe). On OSX, I'm sure there's an equivalent. Or just search for the character and copy and paste it from some website. This is just as easy as searching for the entity and copy and pasting that.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

You have better faith in the clueness factor of people than I do smile

Seriously though punbb is used by a variety of people, yes a lot will try cut'n'paste, some will even have heard of the charmap -but others will be just as familiar, if not more so, with the entity reference. I've virtually committed …, along with others, to memory because of the number of times I've had to add it to code.

Having the ability for both is better and covers all bases.

byUsers forum

I have to admit, for web content I would instinctively use the numeric reference for the entity.

Paul likewise - we must code too much.

byUsers forum

Paul wrote:

Yes, Opera's error message is much better, not only more informative but it makes the error much easier to locate. It also gives you the option of switching to text/html if you want to view the page without fixing it immediatelly.

Cheers. smile I'll give Opera a whirl on my next debugging/testing session. The lack of info in other browsers doesn't make life easy for finding the errant code. big_smile

Rickard wrote:

And how exactly do people insert special characters into, for example, Word documents? If you're on Windows, just bring up the character map (charmap.exe). On OSX, I'm sure there's an equivalent. Or just search for the character and copy and paste it from some website. This is just as easy as searching for the entity and copy and pasting that.

Most people will neither know nor care to find out specifics like that. A large percentage of people will expect to type what they please, (within reason), and have it work, without them knowing how or why. You over-estimate the general mindset, methinks. big_smile

Rich and Paul: So what you're saying is that you want to sanitize the board description from everything except entities? And by entities I'm guessing you mean both named entities as well as numeric references?

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Why are we complicating things. The baord title has never been an issue so it should be exactly the same as the board title however that works. We can add a bit of help text to the relevant field which reads "(A short line of text describing your board)" which puts it beyond doubt what people are supposed to enter.

I'll refer back to the part you wrote that I quoted previously...

People should have the ability to enter the characters via their numeric entity, and named enitities, as well as the actual character. Which I think is what you are asking.

byUsers forum

47 (edited by guardian34 2008-02-07 02:31)

Rich Pedley wrote:

Don't we already have a thread about the use of an ellipsis - how would that be entered as a character via the keyboard ?

Alt + Semicolon (with the US keyboard that's attached to my Mac).

Rickard wrote:

? (charmap.exe). On OSX, I'm sure there's an equivalent.

Edit > Special Characters? (or turn on the character palette and input menu).

A relative of mine just received a gift via Amazon; The message on the card was mangled because the "s were replaced with entities. So, I'm at least annoyed by the mangling or entities, one way or the other.

Edit: " " "

guardian34 wrote:
Rich Pedley wrote:

Don't we already have a thread about the use of an ellipsis - how would that be entered as a character via the keyboard ?

Alt + Semicolon (with the US keyboard that's attached to my Mac).

Doesn't work for me (using Windows XP)

guardian34 wrote:
Rickard wrote:

? (charmap.exe). On OSX, I'm sure there's an equivalent.

Edit > Special Characters? (or turn on the character palette and input menu).

A relative of mine just received a gift via Amazon; The message on the card was mangled because the "s were replaced with entities. So, I'm at least annoyed by the mangling or entities, one way or the other.

That's double escaping, which is wrong (or single escaping if the person tried entering the entity instead of "s) tongue

I was actually trying to be a little sarcastic in my previous post, but I guess no one picked it up smile

Rickard wrote:

I was actually trying to be a little sarcastic in my previous post, but I guess no one picked it up smile

tongue

byUsers forum