Topic: Supported IM Screen Name(s)

Currently, PunBB supports Jabber, ICQ, MSN Messenger, AOL IM and Yahoo! Messenger.

My first request is that MSN Messenger should be changed to 'Windows Live Messenger' as this is what it is now called.

Secondly, in all my time using PunBB (this may just be a coincidence ...) I have never ever seen the Jabber field occupied. Perhaps it could be replaced with something more popular? Skype, for instance.

Support for one's favourite IRC network and channel could also be implemented (though that is probably more suited to an extension).

An alternate solution would be to allow users to add any screen name for any client that they so wish. Though having this sort of free-form data like this (as was described to me the other day) is not suited to searching at all. (Unless the search is changed somewhat.)

Re: Supported IM Screen Name(s)

Jabber is the only open one, it should be the last to go.

Would be better to just get rid of them all. Put it in the sig if you feel the need to share it.

I would agree, but unfortunately I'm sure we're a minority here.

elbekko wrote:

Would be better to just get rid of them all. Put it in the sig if you feel the need to share it.

I think that that would be going backwards. I reckon that the reason these fields were first implemented (not into Pun, but in general) was because people had them in their sig. In any case, the idea behind a signature is simply to sign your name. You don't put all your contact information next to where you sign your name (say in a business deal) ... you'd put that sort of stuff on a business card (or in the case of a forum, your profile).

And yes, I'm pretty sure you are a minority tongue

liquidat0r wrote:

I think that that would be going backwards.

Something like PunBB isn't done when there's nothing to left to add (that would be vBulletin), but when there's nothing left to remove.

I reckon that the reason these fields were first implemented (not into Pun, but in general) was because people had them in their sig.

Nope it's not. I've been around at those times, and people using signature for IM contacts were a minority (and I mean, a 1 to 100K minority).

In any case, the idea behind a signature is simply to sign your name.

Not in a web forum, nor in a newsgroup post, nor in email. Even yourself didn't sign your name (unless your mum named you liquidat0r, in which case, I would suggest this is ground for a law suit).

You don't put all your contact information next to where you sign your name (say in a business deal) ... you'd put that sort of stuff on a business card (or in the case of a forum, your profile).

A sig is a public profile of sort... it's a small space where you put something personal, from your phone number to a random famous quote to an image (ahem) to whatever... it all depends on where the sig is used, when, by whom...

And yes, I'm pretty sure you are a minority tongue

I have no problem with that, Pun users are a minority after all.

7 (edited by liquidat0r 2008-02-01 00:03)

Jérémie wrote:
liquidat0r wrote:

In any case, the idea behind a signature is simply to sign your name.

Not in a web forum, nor in a newsgroup post, nor in email. Even yourself didn't sign your name (unless your mum named you liquidat0r, in which case, I would suggest this is ground for a law suit).

I was referring to people signing their forum names, not their real names. And I do sign my name - with an image that says "liquidat0r".

Jérémie wrote:
liquidat0r wrote:

I reckon that the reason these fields were first implemented (not into Pun, but in general) was because people had them in their sig.

Nope it's not. I've been around at those times, and people using signature for IM contacts were a minority (and I mean, a 1 to 100K minority).

Fair enough, I wasn't around then so I was just guessing really.

Jérémie wrote:
liquidat0r wrote:

You don't put all your contact information next to where you sign your name (say in a business deal) ... you'd put that sort of stuff on a business card (or in the case of a forum, your profile).

A sig is a public profile of sort... it's a small space where you put something personal, from your phone number to a random famous quote to an image (ahem) to whatever... it all depends on where the sig is used, when, by whom...

I disagree, contact/personal information should be in a users profile, as in theory that is static information that isn't needed when looking at a post. The fundamental use of a signature is what it says in the name - a signature (of some description). However, it is true that in general people use the space for quick fragments of information, links* and showing of their artwork.

elbekko wrote:

Would be better to just get rid of them all.

And put them in an extension.

guardian34 wrote:
elbekko wrote:

I agree

If they were in an extension the admin could choose which ones to allow the use of. But they have been there in punBB for some time, so if it was made into an extension I'd suggest it was actually packaged with the download (or as part of some official core extensions pack).

But at this stage, I doubt turning it into an extension is a possibility - so a retro fit extension might be required.

my mind is on a permanent tangent
byUsers forum

Something like PunBB isn't done when there's nothing to left to add (that would be vBulletin), but when there's nothing left to remove.

I totally agree with this. PunBB's goal is to be as fast and small as possible.

StevenBullen wrote:
guardian34 wrote:
elbekko wrote:

I agree

Agreed.

Post hoc ergo propter hoc

Any update on this? Being considered at all?

No and no but maybe somebody will take a look at it now.