Topic: Timezone

http://punbb.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=8161

We are using this modification for easy reading of timezone. Please consider adding the item labels into the language file.

Re: Timezone

I've always wondered what good writing them out does. People don't know in which timezone they live?

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Some people aren't familiar with GMT, especially in the US.

Smartys wrote:

That's very true -- walking around almost any public place I could easily find you many people who haven't the foggiest what "GMT" is. Moreover, those that do know of it stand a good chance of being ignorant as to what particular GMT zone they reside in.

Looking for a certain modification for your forum? Please take a look here before posting.

On the assumption that the timezone isn't 100% user compatible... Personally i would (if it works like this) get the user to select the current hour they are on then find the difference and then that will be the time for them smile

Would that work?

Sorry. Unactive due to personal life.

pogenwurst wrote:

That's very true -- walking around almost any public place I could easily find you many people who haven't the foggiest what "GMT" is. Moreover, those that do know of it stand a good chance of being ignorant as to what particular GMT zone they reside in.

But they know if they're in "mountain time" or whatever?

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

More likely than GMT, yeah smile

Alright, you've convinced me. The list in the mod qubertman linked to is incomplete though.

Incomplete? You mean an incomplete list of places?
If so, Windows uses a similar list that we could take pieces from.

Smartys wrote:

Yes. It lacks some of the more exotic timezones (e.g. +08:30 etc).

Rickard wrote:
pogenwurst wrote:

But they know if they're in "mountain time" or whatever?

Yeah, that's how they know when TV shows come on in their part of the country. tongue

Looking for a certain modification for your forum? Please take a look here before posting.

Rickard wrote:
Smartys wrote:

Yes. It lacks some of the more exotic timezones (e.g. +08:30 etc).

8:30? Windows doesn't even have that hmm
And PunBB doesn't have it either.

Smartys wrote:

8:30? Windows doesn't even have that hmm
And PunBB doesn't have it either.

Well, pardon me big_smile It was an example. I was just pointing out that if we use the stuff from the modification that qubertman linked to, there are a few gaps that we would need to fill out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_time_zones
Did you mean 8:45? wink

Smartys wrote:

Especially since GMT isn't used anymore, it's UTC tongue

Try telling that to the Brits/English. big_smile

Done.

Jérémie wrote:
Smartys wrote:

Especially since GMT isn't used anymore, it's UTC tongue

And even fewer of us are familiar with UTC. tongue

I hate timezones almost as much as I hate DST smile

I just noticed the change. I will be reverting it to GMT in any forum I run. What the hell is UTC, never heard of it.

21 (edited by demetris 2008-02-23 15:18)

I noticed the other day a nice feature in the admin panel of WordPress (2.5, nightly builds).

http://img134.imageshack.us/img134/5544/wordpress25timezonesfeagb9.png

This may be useful to many people.