Re: paypal membership

Just when they pay X ammount  of money, set by the admin, i assume payapl will give us the option to run our own page scrit, protected of course, and in that script will be like upgrade of user group or something.. .

Sorry. Unactive due to personal life.

Ok I will be having a go after new year smile

As long as you have only one domain to consider, it's not terribly hard to have it implemented.  The problem folks are going to run into is if they have more than one domain associated to their PayPal acct.

Since the stock callback functions can't be used, you're forced to make new members click the "Return To Merchant" button to return to your website, and therefore, update the DB in punBB, and then gain access to your board.

Any word on this mod? Seems like plenty of people have tried implementing paypal stores etc but no-one has successfully managed it yet sad

A single item should be easy enough to do. So this shouldn't be very hard.
Maybe I'll take a shot at it for 1.3 smile

elbekko wrote:

A single item should be easy enough to do. So this shouldn't be very hard.
Maybe I'll take a shot at it for 1.3 smile

Awesome!

and like it was mentioned above a script store would be nice. if you had them for like 5$ I would uses a bunch, I already have maybe 10 mods that I have added and would like to change a few other things on the board so if someone did the other 10 that would be 100$ from to Punnbb. Seems reasonable to me smile

Yeah, I started on a store mod with paypal integration once. I read through alot of docs and such, and the problem I always ran into was handling multiple items at once.

elbekko wrote:

Yeah, I started on a store mod with paypal integration once. I read through alot of docs and such, and the problem I always ran into was handling multiple items at once.

That sucks sad

elbekko wrote:

In what regard? Remembering several items that had been selected, or several items with regards to Paypal submission?

As far as I know, you can set up some sort of 'shopping cart' in PayPal, in which you store each element separately. This works fine for the usual store, in which you click on 'add to cart' for each item.
But with something like what I was working on, where you select which items you want, would require the script to make tons of separate requests to PayPal.

Was wondering because I'm mulling over the idea of creating a store/shop type setup, (not with Paypal integration however), for my setup. Could you not have a temp table in the db where the order is stored, and then submit it as one single transaction once completed? Been mulling over whether to use sessions or the db itself for mine, and I'm leaning towards the db at this point in time.

The store itself is easy enough tongue
And I advise to use a session actually. It's much easier to keep track of the current cart that way.

elbekko wrote:

And I advise to use a session actually. It's much easier to keep track of the current cart that way.

If you're storing in a session, why would you need to submit things separately to PP?

I know what you mean with the session. I have been bouncing this idea around in my head for the last week or so. big_smile Simplicity and most other things suggest sessions are the way to go, but the db has resilience against unforeseen incidents, i.e: server or client going offline for above the session timeout period, therefore allowing resumption once back online. Storage of the order for future reference could be used whichever method is used, but for ruggedness, db is still winning. Shouldn't make the script that much more complex either, as far as I can tell. Possibly using cookie tracking to keep user/db entry in sync?

You seem to be not getting the problem I have wink

And the DB is a good solution if you only want to open up the shop to registered users.

40 (edited by MattF 2008-02-17 22:55)

elbekko wrote:

You seem to be not getting the problem I have wink

Possibly. big_smile I was working on this sentence:

But with something like what I was working on, where you select which items you want, would require the script to make tons of separate requests to PayPal.

However, why couldn't you store the items, tally the amounts and then submit it as one single total? Personally, apart from missing the middle step, I can't see where the problem might lie. big_smile

elbecko wrote:

And the DB is a good solution if you only want to open up the shop to registered users.

Adapting the default cookie wouldn't be hard though. And that would be enough for tracking their shopping quest. big_smile

I just have a list of items which you can select through textboxes. That is the problem.
And I think I just got an idea to solve it which I'll investigate soon.

You submit the form once all choices are selected? Why can you not process everything into a single total on form submission?

Yes, that's what I was thinking of. I would need to be able to send some sort of 'cart ID' through PayPal though.

What is the cartID specifically? Is it an ID you generate yourself, or one that they supply to you for the transaction? Is that what you'd be using to backtrace the order afterwards? (You can probably guess where I'm leading here......). big_smile

I'm thinking of storing the cart in the DB with a unique ID and sending that through PayPal for confirmation. I *think* it's possible.

46 (edited by MattF 2008-02-18 17:51)

It would appear that should work fine: https://www.paypal.com/IntegrationCenter/ic_nvp.html

Unless I've misunderstood their page, the token you send is self generated, and the token they return in response is generated by them.

Should be fairly straight forward by the looks of it. smile

Start session > submit & process > insert into db and generate ID > submit to paypal and complete transaction, and/or, allow an option for possible alteration and submission at a later time.

did anyone ever find a paypal extension for punBB?

Thanks to share this information.