Topic: Is anyone working on an external login extension?

Hi guys,

One of the main reasons I've been looking forward to the 1.3 release is to use the forum but with my own, existing authentication/user system. Is anyone working on an extension to help achieve this?

If not it's something I will consider writing assuming the necessary hooks are in place.

Russ

Re: Is anyone working on an external login extension?

Yes, I'm planning on working on this as an official extension wink

Smartys wrote:

Will that be using db queries or HTTP(S) requests? I hope it will be the latter, as that is what I currently use. Also, do you have any ideas on 'when' or will official extensions only be released when 1.3 goes final?

I was planning on working on db queries first, but there's also going to be an OpenID one, which I think should be applicable to the HTTP(s) requests.

Ah, that would be great. Thanks in advance.

Smartys wrote:

I'm planning to hack one extension to support OAuth, would you mind explaining which hooks should I use? wink

It depends on what you're looking to do with the extension. Do you just want to allow the login to work off of the external source? If so, there are two hooks in the authentication part of login.php that look useful.

Any word on this extension / possibility. I'm still willing to work on it if no one else is.

Russ

I've been juggling several things and I haven't had a chance to work on this. I'll do it (in simple, beta form, ready to accept bug reports/feature requests) this weekend.

Smartys wrote:

I've been juggling several things and I haven't had a chance to work on this. I'll do it (in simple, beta form, ready to accept bug reports/feature requests) this weekend.

Good man. big_smile

Hey, I did it big_smile
http://www.punbb-hosting.com/ext/ext_db_auth.zip
Consider this an entirely unofficial, proof of concept type rough draft. I didn't really think this extension through very much and it certainly isn't up to the level of what I want for it as an official extension (eg: for an official extension, I would rather have an extension that takes objects of a certain type (AuthObjects?) and calls their methods, which would allow for both HTTP and database based auth via a similar system: it just needs more planning). This is just a quick, simple "get the job done" type of extension. tongue
I also just tested it and it appears to work fine. Let me know if you find any issues.

cool!

will give it a try and feedback here soon

wow, works like charm!

It should be noted that you need at least an email column in $ext_other_selected_columns though.

You shouldn't NEED it, although it's probably a good idea since PunBB expects that all users have some sort of email address. Did you run into an issue that you're saying you need it (because if so, I know how to fix it).

got this error when email is missing

PHP Fatal error:  Call to undefined function pun_mail() in /opt/www/dev/punbb-1.3-dev/upload/include/functions.php on line 829
[Sun Apr 13 19:56:19 2008] [error] [client 116.227.227.122] PHP   3. add_user() /opt/www/dev/punbb-1.3-dev/upload/login.php(93) : eval()'d code:83

Ah: I'll fix that then smile

New version uploaded, the default email address if you don't supply one is now "invalid@invalid.invalid" as opposed to just an empty string.

one more question: can I enable *both* external db login and punbb built-in login?

You could modify it to do so (to not check against the remote database if the username/password in the local database matches), but I'm not going to support it: it's likely to lead to confusion and breaks down the idea of having one shared account. You get a small performance benefit (you don't have to query against the remote database every time) but at a high security cost (once the first login to PunBB happens, the account is essentially not "linked" externally anymore).

hi there,

I tried this extension with latest punbb 1.3.2, but its not working.

I tried to fix the errors, but was unable to.

I am trying to fix the mod, so any help would be appreciated.