Topic: Can I email all of my registered members?

I am the admin of a punbb forum at www.eroyton.co.uk/forum
I am looking for a way for the admin account to be able to email all users at once.
Is there a way?

thanks
Mark

Re: Can I email all of my registered members?

http://punbb.org/downloads.php

Half way down the page you'll find a plugin called "Broadcast Email". Download the plugin, upload it to your /plugins/ folder. Login as the Admin and under your Administration menu you'll find a link down the left hand side menu called "Broadcast Email" smile

Thanks for that. Worked like a charm. 54 emails have just been sent at the click of a button.
I have to ask, whose SMTP settings were used for this action? I don't have any SMTP information filled out in my options page.  The email does appear to have been successfully sent out though.

Thanks
Mark

The one in your host's configuration.

If you didn't put in any information, it uses PHP's mail function, just like the rest of PunBB.

I was very pleased to find the pointer to this plugin. Downloaded, unzipped and uploaded. Wrote the message and hit the confirmation button. The plugin tells me that the message will be sent to 2222 (no joke! pure coincidence) registered users including the admin. I hit the "Send it" button and an error message popped up:

"Could not send the message, error in recipients mail address"

Hmm, sending mails about registering, password changes and new posts in subscribed threads works correctly, no errors. What could be the cause?

wobo

FSFE Fellow #359 - The Freedom of Knowledge is a Human Right

The exact error message reads:

Error: Unable to send e-mail. Please contact the forum administrator with the following error message reported by the SMTP server: "501 5.1.3 Bad recipient address syntax ".

wobo

That error pretty much says it all.  One of your registered addresses isn't valid and is making things blow up.  I don't know how the mod works but sendmail normally restricts the address lists to about 255 addresses so if the mod is trying to throw all 2222 at it at once things aren't going to function very well.

Looks like a nice plugin, however, id rather not send the email to banned users or whatever. It would be more usefull if there was a way to select only certain usergroups to send the email to, but at least it has the basic system.

DaveM wrote:

That error pretty much says it all.  One of your registered addresses isn't valid and is making things blow up.  I don't know how the mod works but sendmail normally restricts the address lists to about 255 addresses so if the mod is trying to throw all 2222 at it at once things aren't going to function very well.

Oh, really? Hmm. So there is no way to use this plugin in a forum with more than 255 users? I wonder if anybody is using this in a larger forum, 255 users is a pretty small forum.

The other option means that there is a bad address in the database and the plugin does not have any error routine to jump to the next one? Bad.

So. does anybody know any other plugin or MOD to send a mass mailing?

11 (edited by MattF 2008-03-27 19:09)

If you look in the thread for that plugin, you'll find plenty of information regarding tweaks for it. As Smartys once said in another thread, btw, if an e-mail address is already in the db, then it should be valid. That sounds like a screwed smtp server causing that error.

12 (edited by wobo 2008-03-27 20:37)

Oh, I thought I was in the thread for the plugin! Will search for it. EDIT: Can't find any such special thread with the searchwords "Broadcast Email"

That sounds like a screwed smtp server causing that error.

No, this smtp server works fine for all other parts of PunBB and that same smtp server does all my other mail traffic. I should know if it is not working correctly.

13 (edited by MattF 2008-03-27 20:54)

http://punbb.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=6245

Use the is_valid_email() function to check the address whilst looping through the mails, to workaround that smtp issue.

Thx, I looked there and posted the next problem there. sad

wobo