Topic: MyBB vs Punbb both 1.2 and 1.3

MyBB vs Punbb both 1.2 and 1.3: just wanted your openions

MyBB

General Features
-Have an unlimited number of members, forums, posts, threads - and anything else!
-MySQL Fulltext search capabilities (MySQL 4.1+)
-As many copies as you like, one database.
-Completely customizable with our intuitive templates and theme system
-Install or create as many different languages on your forum as you please
-Developed in PHP, compatible with MySQL database servers

Member Features
-Powerful user control panel
-Custom profiles and settings per user
-Custom profile fields
-Advanced private messaging system with tracking and multiple folders
-Reputation system allowing members to rate each other
-Signatures, avatars, buddy and ignore lists and forum subscriptions

Posting Features
-Attach multiple files to a single post
-Automatic thumbnail generation for attached images
-Clickable smilies and BB Code
-Quick moderation options for moderators
-Email notification of new posts
-Create polls with multiple options and attach them to threads
-Multi-quote - quote multiple posts easily in one reply

Thread Display Features
-Threaded or linear viewing modes
-View a printable version of any thread
-Subscribe to threads or add them to a favorite threads list
-Send threads to your friends via email
-Quick reply area - quickly respond to a thread or quote a reply
-Report posts to moderators

Moderation Features
-Add moderators to particular forums, set their permissions or allow them to moderate all forums
-Extensive logging of all moderation activities performed
-Open, close, stick and unstick threads
-Move or copy threads between forums, merge threads together, split posts from a thread
-Inline moderation - mass action multiple threads or posts in one go
-Create your own moderation tools to perform multiple actions at once

Administration Features
-Completely customize the look and feel of your forums by creating a colour scheme and modifying templates
-Control every aspect of your forums with little technical knowledge
-Manage forum announcements
-Assign permissions to forums and different user groups
-Manage smilies, custom BB code, post icons, bad word filters and more
-Powerful user management features
-Ban users by IP address, email address, username or create a timed ban on an account
-Administrator permissions to limit the abilities of secondary administrators
-Run maintenance tasks to keep your forum running in tip-top shape

And More..
-Who's online list
-Simple event based calendar with private and public events
-Fully customisable F.A.Q
-Members listing and advanced member profile views
-List of the forum moderation staff
-Forum statistics page

Features:
MyBB is a forum package full of useful and to-the-point features, helping you to make administrating your bulletin board as easy as possible. We highlighted some of MyBB's best capabilities, to show you why you should choose MyBB over any other discussion board. You can find these highlights on the navigation on the left of this page. We also have a General Features Overview which contains a general features list.

Security:
MyBB puts your board's security first.
Extensive measures have been put in place to guarantee MyBB's security on your web server. We've performed security audits and rewritten code to make sure that no vulnerabilities are left unpatched in MyBB. In the off chance that a vulnerability is found, you can be confident that we're already preparing a patch for immediate release.

Speed:
So fast you'll have to chase it
MyBB has been optimized to be speedy on any occasion; be it a large or small forum. Whenever we make a change to the core workings of MyBB, we first ensure that it will not cause a disturbance in the speed of your board. Several features have been rewritten to be optimized for larger boards while still working on smaller boards. Regardless of whether your forum is big or small, you can be guaranteed MyBB will provide you with the speed you need to get your forum running.

AJAX:
MyBB makes use of AJAX to enhance its features
MyBB uses AJAX technology to make its features quicker and easier to use. In MyBB 1.2, inline editing was added to allow for faster editing of posts from the thread page and thread titles from the forum page, and keeps you from having to load an entire page to make one small edit. In addition, auto completion was added to private messages to make finding the user you want to write to easier. As future versions of MyBB are released, more features will make use of AJAX to refine them.

Inline Moderation:
MyBB's inline moderation makes management easier
Inline moderation can be found throughout MyBB's forum and thread pages to make mass moderation a breeze. Inline moderation allows you to perform the same moderation task on multiple threads or posts, or just one. You can even create your own moderation tools using MyBB's custom mod tools. Inline moderation is just the beginning of the extensive moderation systems you'll find in MyBB.

Permissions:
Extensive permissions allow for complete control
MyBB features a vast set of tools for thorough control of your users' access to various parts of the board. Every user group has an large set of permissions for various features in the board, as well as varying permissions to each forum. With MyBB, you can control every level of user with ease, and can easily block access to any part of your board to some groups, while leaving it available for others.

Ease of Use
A lot of thought has gone in the MyBB interface to make it easy to use. MyBB uses a standard discussion board structure, so your visitors will feel familiar with the way MyBB works. Your visitors can use the MyBB user control panel to change the way they view discussions. They can also easily start and reply to discussions and markup their posts. The forum administrators and moderators can use MyBB's inline editing and moderation features to control discussion and keep the forum tidy.

Extensive Planning
MyBB's interface was built to be easy to use
MyBB's extensively planned nature provides an easy to use and intuitive forum interface that you and your visitors are used to. Both common and unique features are found throughout MyBB, offering a similar experience, but still with a few individual MyBB touches. Features throughout MyBB are easy to find and use without compromising their usefulness. This can be seen in several places in MyBB, from the new reply page where users start discussions to the user control panel where users control their experience, and even the admin control panel.

Advanced Moderation Tools
Extensive moderation made easy
MyBB's moderation features are nothing short of extensive, and are just what you would expect in any forum software. However, their sophistication is offered in an easy to use interface that makes moderation easy. Much of the moderation you perform in MyBB can be done inline, while being able to perform them on multiple threads or posts. For instance, you can mass move selected threads in a forum, or just move one. MyBB also offers custom moderator tools that allow you to create combinations of moderation functions that can all be performed to a thread or post at the click of a button. This offers you, the administrator, the ability to create tools that perform combinations of the many moderation functions available in MyBB.

Admin CP plugin manager
Plug it in, plug it in
Plugins make modifying your board easy
MyBB's plugin system allows you to easily add modifications to your existing MyBB installation, without editing a single file. There is a wide variety of plugins available for all sorts of things, from something simple, like allowing multiple reputations, to more complex plugins, such as the private message administration system. Without editing a single file, you can add a broad range of additional features to your forum.

Administration
A lot of thought has gone in the MyBB interface to make it easy to use. MyBB uses a standard discussion board structure, so your visitors will feel familiar with the way MyBB works. Your visitors can use the MyBB user control panel to change the way they view discussions. They can also easily start and reply to discussions and markup their posts. The forum administrators and moderators can use MyBB's inline editing and moderation features to control discussion and keep the forum tidy.

Advanced, yet intuitive
MyBB's Admin CP has advanced controls
Even though MyBB's Admin CP is very advanced and allows extensive customization, its layout is still very intuitive and easy to use. For instance, the forum permissions system has a vast set of controls including inheritance from both groups and forums, both quick and more in-depth permissions editors, and the ability to copy permissions from one forum to another. MyBB's Admin Control Panel was designed to perform both the most basic alterations, as well as all-out customization that some forums require.

Theming is a breeze
Customizing the look of your forum is easy
MyBB's theming system allows for customizing of your forum with just a few clicks, directly from your Admin Control Panel. Not only can you change the colors and general style of your forum, but you can dig deep into the templates and change up the HTML output of your forum. You can go from a stock MyBB theme to a radically different theme just like that. You don't have to delve through PHP and immense stylesheets; all you need is a basic knowledge of CSS and HTML.

Plugin System
MyBB has one of the most advanced plugin systems found in bulletin boards today. It takes only minutes to install plugins that can make MyBB suit your needs even better. The active and friendly MyBB community has developed a large amount of plugins that are ready to use; amongst them are plugins to show all unanswered threads, extend the forum statistics, show the permissions one has in a forum and many more.

Hooks are everywhere
Plugin hooks are found throughout MyBB
MyBB's plugin system makes use of hooks found throughout the PHP code. These hooks allow plugins to run code where the hook is placed, which means most plugins will not require you to modify any files. Hooks are even found in the administrator control panel, meaning plugins can add new pages to the Admin CP or add items to existing pages, once again without editing a single file. MyBB's plugin hooks list is quite extensive, meaning that you hardly ever have to modify a file for addition of new features to MyBB, both small and large.

New template? No problem!
Plugins can add or modify templates, too
MyBB's plugin system allows for more than just the running of code through hooks. When you activate a plugin, they can add new templates, and even modify existing templates for all existing sets. Because plugins can modify your templates as well, no lengthy step-by-step instructions are necessary for most modifications for your forum - you'll just upload the plugin file, hit Activate, and you're done. Customizing your forum can't get any easier!

Punbb

What is PunBB?
PunBB is a fast and lightweight PHP-powered discussion board. It is released under the GNU General Public License. Its primary goals are to be faster, smaller and less graphically intensive as compared to other discussion boards. PunBB has fewer features than many other discussion boards, but is generally faster and outputs smaller, semantically correct XHTML-compliant pages.

Requirements
PunBB is written in PHP and thus requires the PHP: Hypertext Preprocessor. PunBB also requires a database in which all forum data is stored. For that purpose PunBB supports MySQL, PostgreSQL and SQLite.

Why PunBB?
The idea of PunBB was first born when I needed a discussion board for a website I was working on. After an exhaustive search, all the boards I found were either over-featured or too graphic for my needs. I wanted a package that

-was fast.
-had a simple layout and design.
-was easy to administrate and moderate.
-didn't output huge, non-valid, (X)HTML pages.
-had source code you could read and understand.

To my dismay, such a forum was nowhere to be found. Thus, I started working on PunBB, or just Pun as it was called back then.

Developing software to "please the masses" isn't difficult. Just cram in every possible feature you can think of and most people will love it. Some people, however, will hate it and look for alternatives. The problem with developing for that other group of people is having to make decisions on whether to implement a feature or not. What is a "must-have" and what is not?

Some features that I have so far chosen not to implement are: private messaging, file attachments, polls, linking to off-site avatars, advanced text formatting controls, subforums etc etc. The jury is still out on some of these features, but don't expect them to pop up anytime soon. It should however be noted that most, if not all of these features have been realised in the form of third-party mods.

PunBB Discussion Board
PunBB is a fast and lightweight PHP-powered discussion board. It is released under the GNU General Public License. Its primary goals are to be faster, smaller and less graphically intensive as compared to other discussion boards. PunBB has fewer features than many other discussion boards, but is generally faster and outputs smaller, semantically correct XHTML-compliant pages.

Current Features (1.2)
Very fast loading.
Light on web server resources.
Not cluttered with unneeded features.
Simple layout and design.
Easy to administrate and moderate.
Doesn't output huge, non-valid, HTML pages.
Has source code you can read and understand.

Planned Enhancements (1.3-dev)
New markup and CSS.
Unicode (UTF-8) support.
Improved accessibility for both Public and Administration pages.
Administration interface gets language file support.
Search engine optimized "Fancy URLs" via mod rewrite.
Proper extension support - Extend the functionality without touching a line of PunBB's PHP code.
New topic read marking system.
Improved syndication - Feeds extended to include individual topics. Also feeds in the form of Atom and XML format.
Support for Microformats - hCard and MicroID.
Multiple moderator groups.
Board search improved with MySQL Full-Text Search.
Per-style templates - It will be possible to have one set of templates per style.
The timeline details the latest code changes.

I cant find any boring difinations about punbb ... so thats all i have about it

MyFootballCafe.com  is Now Online!

Re: MyBB vs Punbb both 1.2 and 1.3

You wanted our opinions?

My opinion is that MyBB is the best forum there is, if it's MyBB you want. If it's PunBB you want, then why bother with MyBB, as it's clearly not made to do the same things. Apples and pears, for short.

Point being?

We have a long established tradition of not doing comparison threads.

I have used both forums, and I believe that they are both great forums, but it more depends on what you want to use them for.

I tend to think that PunBB is better if you want speed, ease of administration, valid pages, and a forum that is modular (you install the common extra features you want through extensions).

MyBB is good if you want the classic forum that is the jack of all trades (you already have all of the common extra features on install) and you want to be able to have a little bit of fine tuning (I am talking about administrator functions and not necessarily features).

I am personally partial to PunBB because my webhost crams too many people on the server, and PunBB was the only forum I used that has had bearable load times on the overloaded server.

by the way they use the same hooks and extensions system as punbb 1.3

7 (edited by Jérémie 2008-02-26 10:57)

SuperMAG wrote:

by the way they use the same hooks and extensions system as punbb 1.3

But they don't use the same html designer. It shows hmm

But more to the point, one is open source, the other isn't. Nothing further to compare for me.

Jérémie wrote:

But more to the point, one is open source, the other isn't. Nothing further to compare for me.

That pretty much sums the main point up. smile The pgsql support is also another major point, (in my book), too.

Ask Quaker how secure MyBB is.

~James
FluxBB - Less is more

Dr.Jeckyl wrote:

Ask Quaker how secure MyBB is.

where is quacker post

I just installed mybb on my localhost and I took a look at the admincp and I got lost in where I should look for things hmm
Let me just stick with punbb where everything is cristal clear smile and you can decide yourself what extra's you want smile

kierownik wrote:

I just installed mybb on my localhost and I took a look at the admincp and I got lost in where I should look for things hmm
Let me just stick with punbb where everything is cristal clear smile and you can decide yourself what extra's you want smile

good post

SuperMAG wrote:
kierownik wrote:

good post

speaking about admin area in 1.3 .. i am realy dissapointed ...

i mean its to complicated for extensions sittings to be mixed with the orignal sittings ... in 1.2 you have plugins seperated ... this is a little complicated ... i wanted to ask them to make an page along with every extensions if they need sittings ... like  (Disible - Unistall - Sitting)

but i guess i am alittle late for that ... am i

I also wanted to see that espesialy for the ones that use a seperate page by themselves.

SuperMAG wrote:
SuperMAG wrote:
kierownik wrote:

good post

i mean its to complicated for extensions sittings to be mixed with the orignal sittings ... in 1.2 you have plugins seperated ... this is a little complicated ... i wanted to ask them to make an page along with every extensions if they need sittings ... like  (Disible - Unistall - Sitting)

It is kind of easy to disable them. Just go to extensions and click "disable"...

FluxBB - v1.4.8

lie2815 wrote:
SuperMAG wrote:
SuperMAG wrote:

good post

It is kind of easy to disable them. Just go to extensions and click "disable"...

i am not talking about disibling them ... i am talking about some extensions that have sittings and own pages ... but that sittings and pages are mixed with the orignal Admin sittings ... so its hard to find where these sittings are ... it would be alot eaiser if the extension page has like this

(Disable  Uninstall  Sittings)

in which sittings consist all the sittings that are related to the extension

If an extension was properly designed, the link to the page will be in the correct section with the other options for standard features. It's alot better than the old plugin system IMO. You just have to change your mentality a bit.

that is indeed a good point though
Still... I just put an install note in my extension saying "You can find it... <here>"
Maybe the developers should just begin doing it like that...

FluxBB - v1.4.8