Topic: Queries of all the type of forum softwares

i am currently researching some thing which concerns all the forum softwares ....

i have heard all around the net about Queries which make the difference of speed etc ...

so i collected these information so that the developers of punbb can get some thing out of it ...

i will only include the Queries of main forum page ...

AEF 1.0.5
http://www.anelectron.com/board/
Queries: 10  |  Page Created In:0.519

this is the most surprizing of all ... i mean look at its mods ... they are like vbulletin but thier Queries are only 10 they are almost near punbb 1.3 beta .. i encurage the developers to look at thier source and see what tricks they used to make such low queries on rich featured forum ...

Punbb 1.3 beta
[ Generated in 0.018 seconds, 8 queries executed ] some time 7 ... which confuze me why these quries changes ...

can some one provede details of these forums including amount of queries in the main forum page
SMF
PHPBB
vBulletin
mybb
yabbb
smartbb

MyFootballCafe.com  is Now Online!

Re: Queries of all the type of forum softwares

Queries are not a measure of speed. Take a look at the two page generation times you just quoted, for example, and notice that PunBB is close to 30x faster.
You can have slow queries and you can have fast queries. I could run a query that would take as long as 1000 general queries.
When you have a lot of them and they take a lot of your page generation time, then it's time to look at optimizing them.

And the index page isn't necessarily a good comparison if you're talking about modifications: there isn't some kind of correlation between queries on the index page and modifications. For example, on the index page you linked to I see one query's worth of data that PunBB doesn't include (recent posts). Otherwise, it's the same.

As Smartys indicated, several simple queries could be faster than one complex query. Certainly queries should be as efficient as possible but simply looking at the number of queries won't tell you much.

In fact there is more to it than page generation time, I think it really comes down to "perceived" page generation time. Looking at AEF's topic page it seems slower than it actually is because of the table based layout and a lot of graphics.

well thanks for the tips guys ... but can i ask u a question ....

if we modded the punbb ... with all the same features as
SMF
VB
PhpBB

which will be faster

That depends on the quality of the modifications.

elbekko wrote:

That depends on the quality of the modifications.

you mean how good modifications are ....

suppose they are as good as the other forums

The question doesn't really make sense since SMF, VB and phpBB have different feature sets. If I wanted a forum with an identical feature set as VB then I would buy a VB license. I can't see any point in modding one forum to be a clone of another.

The idea of starting with a forum without all the bells and whistles is to add only the extra features that you want and end up with something that exactly fits your requirements. If you actaully want all the bells and whistles it makes far more sense to select a script that already has them.

Paul wrote:

The question doesn't really make sense since SMF, VB and phpBB have different feature sets. If I wanted a forum with an identical feature set as VB then I would buy a VB license. I can't see any point in modding one forum to be a clone of another.

The idea of starting with a forum without all the bells and whistles is to add only the extra features that you want and end up with something that exactly fits your requirements. If you actaully want all the bells and whistles it makes far more sense to select a script that already has them.

i am not looking for features ...

just suppose that identical feartures with those forum ...

i want to see which will be fast and secure ...

Punbb or them

No way of telling without actually trying it but in theory I would have thought built in features ought to be faster because the code was originally written to accommodate those features.

you can measure script speed using Linux/BSD box and HTTPERF or Siege tools to launch an army of HTTP requests to tested script and compare times needed to handle all requests. In my old tests with httperf (20 connections with 5 requests per connection) punBB 1.2.14 used 2,93s, txtBB 1.3.rc3 - 3,4s, phpBB 2.0.22 - 3,97s, SMF 1.1.1 - 4,93s, phpBB by Przemo 1.12.5 - 4,93s. smile

My site [PHP, Python, Linux]