Topic: anybody using 1.3 in a production environment already?

The demos are cool and everything, but i would like to see a live forum using it, just to get the 1.3 feeling.
Also, some usage feedback.
Damn, can't get enough of it. big_smile

Re: anybody using 1.3 in a production environment already?

look at my signature of ProsGate

MyFootballCafe.com  is Now Online!

<Smartys> I'm not sure why people think we're joking when we say don't use beta software in a production environment
<Smartys> If the software were ready to be used at that level, it wouldn't be beta

And Beta doesn't just mean its subject to bug fixes. As far as I'm concerned it also means identifying things that could have been done better and improving them. That could involve quite substantial rewrites in some cases.

well what ever ... i am also using it as a test right know ...

still didnt buyed a domain for my site ... when i buy it i will begain big project

Environment
Operating system: Linux
PHP: 4.4.7 - Show info
Accelerator: N/A

Database
MySQL 4.1.22-standard-log
Rows: 415067
Size: 229.62 MB

Currently most active user online is 500.
Normally, 100-200 online user at same time.

Statistic:
Member: 31636
Topics: 24496

at PunBB 1.2.x there is a huge cpu resources on Share Hosting. Sometimes they (host) complain smile
at PunBB 1.3 ... still watch. No report yet at last 2 weeks

PunBB, Simplicity has been easier than before
Smart is Simple. Fast is Smart. Think Fast, You'll be Smart..

regards,
PunBB & SMF Fans

Mmm, any idea what causes the usage?

SuperMAG wrote:

when i buy it i will begain big project

Wouldn't 'I'll be coercing everybody into helping me create my big project with a multitude of help threads' be a better description? big_smile

FBI wrote:

at PunBB 1.2.x there is a huge cpu resources on Share Hosting. Sometimes they (host) complain smile

I would have thought there is more chance of that being down to one of the mods you have installed rather than the core itself.

MattF wrote:
SuperMAG wrote:

when i buy it i will begain big project

Wouldn't 'I'll be coercing everybody into helping me create my big project with a multitude of help threads' be a better description? big_smile

intresting ... but i didnt mension any thing about help ... besides the punbb 1.3 is still not ready yet ... i will use it as a main site ...

but u seemed intresting ... what is your big project

FBI wrote:

Environment
Operating system: Linux
PHP: 4.4.7 - Show info
Accelerator: N/A

Database
MySQL 4.1.22-standard-log
Rows: 415067
Size: 229.62 MB

Currently most active user online is 500.
Normally, 100-200 online user at same time.

Statistic:
Member: 31636
Topics: 24496

you got to be kidding me .. 229 mb db .... what is ur site ... i use megapan which have more then 50 mods and i have 300 members + 3000 posts + 600 topics ...
and my site db is 1.XX mb only

SuperMAG wrote:

what is your big project

I don't specifically have a 'project'. I just modify the forum to suit, as and when needs arise, so to speak. (Or when the modding urge takes over). big_smile

Smartys wrote:

Mmm, any idea what causes the usage?

I think the mods. I can't remember what mods I've been installed.
I only mark some mods, but still forget and too lazy to give "mark" another mods.
Too many custom code (outside PunBB), I grab it from here and outside there.
Just like everybody and Rickard said.. PunBB is easiest to understand, even with "stupid" newbie moders (not coder) like me smile

Or, I think PunBB 1.2x has indexing search feature that double the size of post Database?
Last time, I delete or I didnt build index (at admin pages) smile
The power and one of my visitor like is Search feature. I am using Search show_new, show_recent and show_24h mods.. That why, my visitor like. They wont go all forum or categories to find what is new post for today. smile

Next month (May 2008) is a year I am using PunBB.
Before that, I am using Yabb, and move to SMF and using it for more 2 years. I like it.
With default install and theme's of SMF (I like Simplicity Themes by Bloc), causing high load resources.. Maybe my hosting provider had bad CPU performance not SMF. Well? smile

3 times, I move from one hosting to another. They complain about my forum resources. One of them suspend my site without reason smile

Can you imagine? I've got headache to download, upload and dump MySQL data every few month!
Last time, I've upload 150MB data one-by-one because internet connection too slow, at that time, the standar old PHPMyAdmin cannot hold few megabytes uploading data. I must copy paste manually into query box.

Yes, I know about dump program. Some hosting doesn't allowed that, I've been warning before.

Until... yes.. Until I found PunBB. Even not too many support community like SMF had, I like how the code wrote. Thanks to Rickard and The Team smile

Finally, with PunBB 1.3 Beta with the extension (mod) WITHOUT TOUCH the core code? Its brillians idea.. Thats why, directly I am moving into Beta. I know the risk for my Production Forum.. But, If I stick with PunBB 1.2x, forever I will forget many "injected" code/mods. I can't make my forum growing with more advantages..  smile

Thats Why, I take the risk..

regards,
PunBB & SMF Fans

SuperMAG wrote:

you got to be kidding me .. 229 mb db .... what is ur site ... i use megapan which have more then 50 mods and i have 300 members + 3000 posts + 600 topics ...

Yes correct.
Here my phpmyadmin reports screenshoot smile

First are old databases from PunBB 1.2.x
http://img412.imageshack.us/img412/3923/oldxq9.th.gif

Second is newest 1.3 Beta after 2 weeks running
http://img412.imageshack.us/img412/6420/newqg0.th.gif

regards,
PunBB & SMF Fans

FBI wrote:
SuperMAG wrote:

Yes correct.
Here my phpmyadmin reports screenshoot smile

First are old databases from PunBB 1.2.x
http://img412.imageshack.us/img412/3923/oldxq9.th.gif

Second is newest 1.3 Beta after 2 weeks running
http://img412.imageshack.us/img412/6420/newqg0.th.gif

how come when you converted from 1.2 to 1.3 the posts size become double

There are 10k more posts. If they're large posts, that can easily be done. UTF-8 might play a bit in there too.

elbekko wrote:

There are 10k more posts. If they're large posts, that can easily be done. UTF-8 might play a bit in there too.

what 10 k ... i see

1.2: in the first pic there are 335289 posts having 129.7 mb of db

1.3: and in the second there are 345613 posts having 218.0 mb of db ...

how come when you converted from 1.2 to 1.3 the posts size become double

I dont have idea, why? smile
As I remember, at old PunBB 1.2x there is Admin feature called "Rebuild search index".
If this checked, and do it.. Database growth almost twice. Its cache, Am I right?
Sorry, I dont know why the mysql growth almost twice after upgrading into 1.3 beta.

regards,
PunBB & SMF Fans

Probably because of the fulltext index.

Smartys wrote:

why does 1.2 have halftext index ... ha haha ha ... just kidding ....

Smartys wrote:

Of course it is.. wink

@others : in 1.3 the search index is included in topics and posts tables (as it is now managed internally by MySql), in 1.2.x the search index is in separate PunBB's managed tables (search_*).

Basically, indexes still take (approx.) same place in 1.3 than in 1.2, but they're just located in different places.
So, u can't really compare sizes of tables 'topics' and 'posts' from 1.2.x to 1.3 ones (or u have to keep off the indexes sizes).

I'm using 1.3 on multiple site's, on purpose. smile The biggest (also the most inactive one) is http://forums.audio-tracker.com/. The entire project that the forum belongs to, is experimental so I figured it would be a nice way to see how it's behaving in such an environment. No hard feelings if it breaks something. People would figure out quite soon I believe. And the sooner the better, bugs can be fixed faster and more accurate (when properly managed/submitted of course), I think. (due to inactivity and lack of time I haven't been able create any reasonable feedback, I got plans to do this any time soon).

<Smartys> I'm not sure why people think we're joking when we say don't use beta software in a production environment
<Smartys> If the software were ready to be used at that level, it wouldn't be beta

You couldn't be more right btw. I definitely wouldn't do this in case of a (semi-) large, money making, production environment.

- Kaboon

I'm using it here: http://wiredpakistan.com/forums

My installation of 1.2.x got hacked, so instead of installing that again decided to try out the beta version. It's working fine so far.

Mpok wrote:
Smartys wrote:

Of course it is.. wink

@others : in 1.3 the search index is included in topics and posts tables (as it is now managed internally by MySql), in 1.2.x the search index is in separate PunBB's managed tables (search_*).

Basically, indexes still take (approx.) same place in 1.3 than in 1.2, but they're just located in different places.
So, u can't really compare sizes of tables 'topics' and 'posts' from 1.2.x to 1.3 ones (or u have to keep off the indexes sizes).

Yes, thanks for your explain smile
Maybe this can explain why indexing important?
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/optim … cture.html

Temporary, Now I revert to 1.2x with same posts & topics structure as 1.3 beta.
Learn which table/column are indexed.
Wanna see, how the cpu performance after few days running..

regards,
PunBB & SMF Fans

You can't run 1.2 using 1.3's schema. There are tables missing (specifically, search), configuration values changed, configuration settings removed/renamed, etc.