Topic: Skins styles

I am very new to this type of forum.

I have had another forum so know a little bit. I am trying to put some color on my new forum and having a bit of trouble. First I can't see any headers or footers nor can I see where you can either manually change the color or where to put what information you get from the winzip files.

Can someone explain WHERE the changes to the forum are located in the admin panel like the above or things like membership levels etc. ?

This just seems like not all the bells and whistles came with the basic design and it is pretty bare.

Re: Skins styles

You can change the style in the CSS files.

And indeed, PunBB is designed to be lightweight, not a piece of bloatware wink

3 (edited by Leggings 2008-03-30 04:34)

elbekko wrote:

You can change the style in the CSS files.

And indeed, PunBB is designed to be lightweight, not a piece of bloatware wink

Just WHERE in the admin area are the CSS files?

the css files are located in the styles folder.
style.css controls the padding etc.
style_cs.css controls the color images etc.

check out http;//punres.org go to there styles section and see if there is a style that is something that you want to use.
Q

My stuff or my style might sux, but atleast I'm willing to help when I can.
Don't be stupid and help ! We are the stupid one's !!!

quaker wrote:

the css files are located in the styles folder.
style.css controls the padding etc.
style_cs.css controls the color images etc.

check out http;//punres.org go to there styles section and see if there is a style that is something that you want to use.
Q

And the styles folder is located ...where ON MY SITE ?

I checked out punres. I saw the different styles. I found one I liked. I did ALL this.

In English where do I put the information I get on my forum. I need you to say something like go to administration under say settings and look for ???????

My problem is HOW do I get it on my forum.

The other forum I had actually HAD a section in the admin panel where you could input the color codes in different areas for the different locations on your board.It also had a header and footer to input the script ( java) to cover the color gradients.

I see nothing on my forum that even remotely looks like this.

Leggings wrote:

Exactly where quaker said they would be.  In the style directory which will be under the directory where you have punBB installed.  After you've added the style sheet you found to that directory go into administration -> Options and the style sheet you added should show up in the "Default style" selection list.

DaveM wrote:
Leggings wrote:

Exactly where quaker said they would be.  In the style directory which will be under the directory where you have punBB installed.  After you've added the style sheet you found to that directory go into administration -> Options and the style sheet you added should show up in the "Default style" selection list.

I must be really stupid because I still don't understand. Just what do you mean by where I have punBB installed. What directory...I have no directory.  Am I supposed to have some sort of "extra" something installed somewhere?

The only default I see is the "Oxygen" style which is under "settings" then "setup". I see NOTHING ON the ADMIN panel about any "directory". I also have no " admin" "options" setting.

Is this something I have to get downloaded? From where?

You managed to upload the source files, yes? Then you can manage to install a style.

9 (edited by Leggings 2008-03-30 13:20)

elbekko wrote:

You managed to upload the source files, yes? Then you can manage to install a style.

If you are referring to the win zip all I can do is get the trial version of that program. Just how do I install. WHERE do I upload into the forum?

OK. In the forum files, there's a folder called styles. You upload your styles to that folder.

Smartys wrote:

OK. In the forum files, there's a folder called styles. You upload your styles to that folder.

Here we go again.

WHERE are the forum files ? Are they in a win zip program ? Are they somewhere on THIS site? Are they somewhere on MY site?

This is what I have been looking for the past 24 hours and have no clue where you are directing me.

Actually I have a better idea. Maybe one of you experts can simply put up a couple of skins on my site because I really am at the point of walking away from this whole ordeal.

Why everbody is confused is that in order to install punbb in the first place you needed to upload the forum files to your web sever (host) using an ftp client or the hosts control panel. This created a directory on the server for the forum files. You just upload the stylesheets in exaxtly the same way.

Paul wrote:

Why everbody is confused is that in order to install punbb in the first place you needed to upload the forum files to your web sever (host) using an ftp client or the hosts control panel. This created a directory on the server for the forum files. You just upload the stylesheets in exaxtly the same way.

Ummmm well lets put it this way. I filled out the information to get the free site and nowhere did it say I have to go to my server to get some sort of permission that will allow me to actually have this site on my computer.

No other web hosters have this requirement and you simply get the basic forum and a place ON THE FORUM where to input what is wanted.

I also have no clue what a ftp client is.

At this point I feel that maybe I will get better results with a more administration friendly server.

Well we don't provide web hosting free or otherwise so without knowing anything about your hosts setup there isn't much we can do.

Paul wrote:

Well we don't provide web hosting free or otherwise so without knowing anything about your hosts setup there isn't much we can do.

In that case is there a delete forum button?

Not as part of the forum software though your web host might have provided the facility. This is the support forum for the PunBB software, we can't really help much with a particular hosting services implementation of it.  The only exception is Free PunBB Hosting which is run by one of the developers here and they have there own support forum.

18 (edited by axa 2008-03-30 15:05)

Leggings wrote:
Paul wrote:

In that case is there a delete forum button?

smile  Yes, it is just to the right of the button that reads "RTFM", but most people don't see that either.

http://aycu26.webshots.com/image/51345/2003908175450695595_rs.jpg

Landen Meadows Residents Forum - http://www.landenmeadows.net

Leggings: where is your forum hosted?