Re: anybody using 1.3 in a production environment already?

Sure different like you said.. Thanks Smartys smile

I am not revert everything, I play with users, posts, and topics only. Using that tables for my old 1.2 scripts. Now running 1.2. Yes, its my own risk.. It just dropping FullText indexing on Posts & Topics to gain SQL space. Rebuilding search index from 1.2 admin panel, for search function (almost 2 hours indexing on 26663 topics and 373654 posts).

For new indexing feature on 1.3, I read and learn this (read comments at bottom) http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/ … dexes.html
Its fulltext indexing like Smarty's said..
Maybe, thats explain why 1.3 faster than 1.2 smile

Yeah, Rickard already told. Many schema changes on 1.3.
Mods/Plugins progamming totally change. I am still learning how to make or convert some plugins in to 1.3 new scheme..

After one month using and playing 1.3. Its great and faster. I am creating simple portal (frontpage style) to display new topics from few forum categories choosen, including recent post. Even, I am not expert on CSS programming.. But, that's our visitor like. Its different like other forum around there.

One important thing for big forum, something missing such PM feature etc. My visitor need those feature, and other mods/plugins feature that work on 1.2. Thats why, I revert to 1.2.
For new PunBB user, better to use 1.3, even still in Beta. PunBB 1.3 offer future feature and compatibilities for feature release (1.3 Final). Extension easy to learn without touching core files.

PunBB, Simplicity has been easier than before
Smart is Simple. Fast is Smart. Think Fast, You'll be Smart..

regards,
PunBB & SMF Fans

FBI wrote:

For new PunBB user, better to use 1.3, even still in Beta. PunBB 1.3 offer future feature and compatibilities for feature release (1.3 Final). Extension easy to learn without touching core files.

No, its not, 1.3 IS NOT STABLE! It is not to be used in a production enviroment.

I'm glad you're liking it so much smile

thats why, this topic discussion talk about anybody using 1.3 in a production environment already? smile

I share my experience

PunBB, Simplicity has been easier than before
Smart is Simple. Fast is Smart. Think Fast, You'll be Smart..

regards,
PunBB & SMF Fans

I am close to use the 1.3 beta when I release my new site. Yes, I know it is a beta, and probably lots of bugs and errors, but how else am I going to find the bugs and errors if I only install the forum but never uses it? This way, I will soon find something reportable.

Yes, I know it is a risk but I am willing to take that risk after using hours to make the style fit the rest of the site.

Runar wrote:

I am close to use the 1.3 beta when I release my new site. Yes, I know it is a beta, and probably lots of bugs and errors, but how else am I going to find the bugs and errors if I only install the forum but never uses it? This way, I will soon find something reportable.

Yes, I know it is a risk but I am willing to take that risk after using hours to make the style fit the rest of the site.

Well rumour has it that paul is going to do a large commit changing quite a bit of the styling code... so unlucky.

I personally dont have anything against people using BETA in production enviorment... as long as they dont moan here when things dont go right for them. Also... styling is really the last thing you should do with the BETA.

yes i heard that too steven ... in few posts ... so i wonder does he mean completely change the style or develop it furthur ... mmmm ...

MyFootballCafe.com  is Now Online!

if a new version of pubb gets out can i use my current database on the new install? or will there be any changes that makes the database useless on the new versions?

If you mean can you use a 1.2 database in 1.3, then yes, you just need to convert it first.

hmm i guess my english failed me there smile   i meant if i use the current beta build and the final build of 1.3 gets released. are those 2 databases compatibel?

The same way 1.2 and 1.3 are: yes, you just need to run a script to make sure the schema is up to date.