Topic: Moving to a new domain

As you might have noticed, the PunBB website is in the process of moving under the domain informer.com. The website informer.com (and its subdomains like feed.informer.com) is owned and run by the folks who own the PunBB project. Moving the PunBB website under the informer.com domain is a way for our benefactors to promote their other services to the PunBB community and to promote PunBB to users of their other services. The move does not affect the project in any other way, including GPL terms.

The move does however mean that you will have to re-login since the old cookie isn't valid for this domain. Hopefully, this won't cause too much trouble.

PS. Personally, I have been feeling a little under the weather lately. I guess the stress of taking on too much work is finally taking its toll. Hopefully, I will be able to get back in the game soon. Meanwhile, I am told that the work on 1.3 is in its final stages (as in weeks to go). Coinciding with the release will be a bunch of new extensions.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Re: Moving to a new domain

I wondered when things would start moving with the new owners. big_smile

Pointing out the obvious... but does this mean it will be moved to punbb.informer.com tongue

will be site available on punbb.org ?

StevenBullen wrote:

Pointing out the obvious... but does this mean it will be moved to punbb.informer.com tongue

Yup smile

Vovochka wrote:

will be site available on punbb.org ?

Yes, but it will be redirected. All existing links and whatnot will continue to work.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Bad news.

What will get and loose punbb users?

All changes that I saw on punbb.informer.com is disgusting ads, that pointing to some kind of soft. E.g. the first link says "forum" but i get page with video player, cd burner, etc...

It's a huge step backwards. Please, tell "the folks who own the PunBB project", that they can earn money in other way.
I'm disappointed.

I prefer PunBB.org
Why does PunBB have to have a subdomain sad

ummmm the beginning of the end...

Q

My stuff or my style might sux, but atleast I'm willing to help when I can.
Don't be stupid and help ! We are the stupid one's !!!

Meh, I guess this will make no difference whatsoever. smile

Is "weeks to go" Valve time or ...? tongue

This topic doesn't appear on the Homepage, by the way.

bad news ....

punbb should be a seperate project ... on a seperate domain ....

does that mean the punbb is sold to the new owner ...

what was the prize ...

MyFootballCafe.com  is Now Online!

10 (edited by d3visi0n 2008-04-29 21:36)

This is bad news indeed. I don't like the feel of some company controlling the direction of PunBB. It'll turn out just like nnscript or IPB that promised to remain free forever.

Edit:

Oh and what the hell is up with the "Software Informer tags" links. So going down hill. Such a sad thing to see.

11 (edited by StevenBullen 2008-04-29 21:52)

Come on people... at least leave the positive/negative comments until after 1.3 is released. tongue

PunBB is and will always be free.. that has been promised (many times).
Plus adding a few links to the front of the site is not such a problem... just dont click them if they dont appeal.

Rickard one question I do have...
Will it stay as "Powered by PunBB"? But obviously the link will be directing to punbb.informer.com instead or will it change to "Powered by Informer"? with the same above link. Any chance of clarifcation on this. wink

I say it's time to fork. What about "FreeBB" or is that taken?

13 (edited by Andy 2008-04-30 02:34)

As long as the code itself is under GPL, I don't have a problem with it. Personally, I'm appreciative for the great product Rickard and the team have created, regardless of who "owns" it.

Edit: Just saw the ads on the front page. Pretty unobtrusive if you ask me...

any one want to buy punlancer.com or puntalk.org? hahaha.... sh_t going to hit the fan...

Q

My stuff or my style might sux, but atleast I'm willing to help when I can.
Don't be stupid and help ! We are the stupid one's !!!

Guys! It's not the end of the world. It's just a new domain... and a few more links on the main page. So what?

PunBB hasn't lost any of its quality, so why are you all crying?

I only use the main page to find the newest posts anyway...

FluxBB - v1.4.8

16 (edited by Vovochka 2008-04-30 07:33)

SuperMAG wrote:

http://punbb.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=17268

I'm afraid that soon we'll have paid official extensions & support.

UPD:
There no ads any more smile

ads are still here (bottom left)...

18 (edited by SuperMAG 2008-04-30 12:07)

Vovochka wrote:
SuperMAG wrote:

http://punbb.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=17268

UPD:
There no ads any more smile

i readed that news ...

its i sponsored now by that company but it does not mean they need to change the domain to this one ....

I mean they should think about it .. what would benefit them if punbb is under informer domain name .... informer is less popular  then punbb alot ...

every other good forum software has his own domain name .... if punbb lose his domain name ... it would obeovicly decrease the clients and users and they will think that it is just a small scripts //// i am talking about the new users that will come in the future ...

i am not attacking the informer for thier ads or any thing ... they should benefet from their ads ... but

it would be more benefitual for them if they set punbb for their own domain name ... so it would use its popularity ... they can put ads in the main domain ...

i am watching punbb growing day by day ... it will decrease growing rate when the people think that its a small project by some guy ...

by the way is http://punbb.informer.com/forums/profile.php?id=12152 a new owner ... just asking .

thanks

SuperMAG wrote:

by the way is http://punbb.informer.com/forums/profile.php?id=12152 a new owner ... just asking

Yes (I think). He is also helping to code the project - I've seen a couple of commits from him.

he has only 2 comments ...

Please read the topic linked by vovochka a few posts above.
There was no need no throw so negative comments at this point.

This is a free software project, AFAIK the current licence (GPL) licence allows you to fork a project and use even use it in a commercial product/service.
In other words, formally the contribution made by the development team to the community whenever they release a new version of punbb is still made within the exact same conditions.
Honestly, drama is absolutely unecessary.

If i should be honest, I think this deal (can i call it a deal?) is beneficial to all of us. I believe punbb's development is stronger with some corporate power boost.

Now, superMAG made a wise observation. The company owning punbb now might have made a mistake changing the domain. This change appear to be obvious but it might in fact have negative impact on their strategy.
There are literally millions of incoming links to punbb.org, ok, it's redirecting to the new domain, but google and other SE do not take redirects in account when it comes to rank a domain relevance on some keyword.
Also it's slightly more confusing to the visitors.
Either way I believe (and hope) these are minor problems.

We ain't in for another tit-lipping sess over this are we?

23 (edited by Jarkko 2008-04-30 15:13)

Vovochka wrote:

There's no worry about extensions going proprietary, in my opinion.

As far as I understand, proprietary extensions are not possible according to the GPL. If an extension imports any PunBB functionality, it must be released under GPL or compatible license, according to FSF. Anyone remember the infamous Joomla SMF bridge?

A disappointing move with no benefit to the community and only one benefit to the new owner - thousands of backlinks pointing at his domain.  That's why he bought the project.

Saying that moving PunBB to a new domain is:

Rickard wrote:

a way for our benefactors to promote their other services to the PunBB community and to promote PunBB to users of their other services.

is either naive or disingenuous.  Promotion either way could have been achieved just as easily without moving the domain.  When people start lying / treating a community as stupid, it never ends well.  Note - I'm not accusing any one in particular, but something smells bad.

Taking a quick dig in to Victor Sazhin's portfolio, it shows that he owns a very large network of questionable quality properties.  PunBB has therefore transferred ownership from an open, passionate, community-focused project manager to a shady, non-communicative individual who is evidently motivated by money first and foremost.  IMHO of course.

Also, note that the community at feed.informer are less than happy with the new owner.

Just btw, the automatic update checking fails now... wink

FluxBB - v1.4.8