Topic: Pretty new to this

To make a long story as short as possible, I am pretty new to this whole deal. I have created two forums, one using xsorbit, and the other using phpbb. The xsorbit board was dismantled by myself. The phpbb board was stolen out from underneath me by one of my moderators, and phpbb has not exactly been helpful in trying to rectify the situation. Therefore, I started looking for an alternative, and here I am.

If I were to chose PunBB, what do I have to do to get a new forum up and operational? I have seen a sample of some templates/skins, and though they are simple, they are eye catching, and easy to follow. That is all I ned. To be honest, I have no eperience with coding, and even doing the upgrades is going to drive me batty, but from what I have read, PunBB may be the alternative I have been looking for.

Any suggestions?

Re: Pretty new to this

PunBB is rather simple to install.
Just download the package from the downloads page, then upload the "upload" directory to your web host, make your database, chmod "cache" and "img/avatars" to 777 and go to yourdomain.com/foum/install.php and follow to instructions.

for mods and styles, head over to www.punres.org and check them out there. styles are simple to install. just put the style.css file in the style folder, and the style_cs.css file in the style/imports folders and they are done.

to install mods, find the one you want on punres.org, download it, and follow the readme.txt that comes with it, it is simple to install them.

if you get stuck with anything, feel free to give me an email and i shall be happy to help out.

M

3 (edited by Jarkko 2008-05-02 10:24)

Re: Pretty new to this

Hello 1tontoy, and welcome to the forums. smile

You might want to check out the video tutorials. They show the most of basic stuff about installing and using the software.