Topic: SMF to PunBB converted, BUT PASSWORD ;)

Hello,
As i was looking for a converter from SMF to PunBB from Ages. I got it and successfully converted too smile

But as i saw the passwords aren't converted smile
So how do i and other members access their accounts???

Help Please!

FAISAL!

Re: SMF to PunBB converted, BUT PASSWORD ;)

Have them request a new password through the 'forgot password' form.

elbekko wrote:

Have them request a new password through the 'forgot password' form.

So you mean they all will have to request a new password....

wink

FAISAL!

Yup.

Very common problem with any forum conversion tool. Just do ask elbekko said and all should be fine.

~James
FluxBB - Less is more

Luckily, this should be a thing of the past with 1.3

Smartys wrote:

Luckily, this should be a thing of the past with 1.3

Do you have more info?

I've thought about dropping SMF for PunBB for some time, but I didn't want to go through the whole mass email and request users re-set their password.

It is possible thanks to the extension system, but you would have to wait for a converter that works with 1.3.

Alternately, assuming the converter stores the old passwords in the password column, you could manually modify login.php to do something similar to how PunBB deals with upgrading md5 to sha1.

Well theres the answer to my question, at teh moment im doing all development work on my localhost, and cant send out emails, so ill gave to generate a password and incert in manually for myself, so how are the passwords stored MD5?

u as the admin can reset the password for all user's. i would ask the user to use forgot password.

Q

My stuff or my style might sux, but atleast I'm willing to help when I can.
Don't be stupid and help ! We are the stupid one's !!!

haha yea but i cant login as admin as i have just converted like i said

all development work on my localhost, and cant send out emails, so ill gave to generate a password and incert in manually for myself, so how are the passwords stored MD5?

13 (edited by MattF 2008-06-25 17:36)

Which version are you using?

GodsDead wrote:

Try to reset all the paswords, including yours. And go through "forgot password", generating new password for yourself as admin. Does it help?

Carpe diem

Anatoly wrote:
GodsDead wrote:

Try to reset all the paswords, including yours. And go through "forgot password", generating new password for yourself as admin. Does it help?

He won't be able to receive the e-mail notifying him of his newly generated password. big_smile

MattF wrote:
Anatoly wrote:
GodsDead wrote:

He won't be able to receive the e-mail notifying him of his newly generated password. big_smile

GodsDead wrote:

Well theres the answer to my question, at teh moment im doing all development work on my localhost, and cant send out emails...

Because of this?

What is being used for local development? Mails are possibly stored in some files. There are also sendmail emulators to catch messages.

Another possible solution: register as a new user and just copy his password filed into yours. Passwords must be the same for them now.

Carpe diem

17 (edited by MattF 2008-06-26 10:50)

Anatoly wrote:
GodsDead wrote:

Well theres the answer to my question, at teh moment im doing all development work on my localhost, and cant send out emails...

Because of this?

Yup.

Anatoly wrote:

What is being used for local development? Mails are possibly stored in some files. There are also sendmail emulators to catch messages.

Honestly, it'll most likely be a lesson in distraction and frustration, trying to get him to sort his local delivery out, or accessing the mail file directly. If he doesn't have the knowledge already to access the mail or get the local mail system running, it is somewhat beyond the scope of the board to help on that particular matter. smile

Anatoly wrote:

Another possible solution: register as a new user and just copy his password filed into yours. Passwords must be the same for them now.

Hadn't thought of that option. smile

Edit: If it's 1.2* you're running, the passwords are encrypted via the one of the following methods, (in order of preference), if I remember correctly: sha1, mhash, or md5. The pun_hash function is the one for hashing the passwords. As for 1.3*, I honestly can't say offhand.

how are the passwords stored? i know php so i can whip myself up a generator to create a password and incert it manually =]

Ill try and register a new account now, se eif that works, also as another alternative when resetting a password, is this info stored in the database? maybe it could be manipulated?

Ok i shortcutted it using creating a new user, since default instillation dosunt need you to activate =p yeaaa!
ok im brand spanking new to punbb, and holy hell its fast! impressed, im trying to implement it with my main site (php) iv followed this;
http://punbb.informer.com/docs/dev.html#integration
And it all works fine, are there any more examples / mods whatever for homepage intergration out there?
like login boxes/ avatars etc?

Thankies =]

this is something that i did and play with..

http://hsv-netcom.com/

it is 1.2

My stuff or my style might sux, but atleast I'm willing to help when I can.
Don't be stupid and help ! We are the stupid one's !!!

GodsDead wrote:

And it all works fine, are there any more examples / mods whatever for homepage intergration out there?
like login boxes/ avatars etc?

The wiki over on punres.org has some useful tidbits. smile