Re: Development team annoucement

Ok, i'm struggling a bit to answer this well, but this wasn't a move against Rickard, whatever happens in the future he is currently not active in PunBB or FluxBB, and therefore he is not in control of PunBB, which is what our problem is. We were happy to be under his "command" but not the new owners.
I'll hope to see you around smile

27 (edited by grudon66 2008-05-11 15:28)

What if informer see this, and buy the Fluxbb, and delete all fluxbb lol

PunBB, the FluxBB of tomorrow - today!

How would they buy FluxBB if the developers don't want to sell it?

29 (edited by grudon66 2008-05-11 15:43)

elbekko wrote:

They can say they will give 2000000$ for Fluxbb, then the developers will buy it big_smile
To sell Punbb was Rickhard bigest mistake!!!
He can say to the owners that he quit, and give the owners the money back, and then buy a punbb.org domain  again big_smile

Bot if Rickard wants, can he be a part of the FluxBB developing team?

PunBB, the FluxBB of tomorrow - today!

grudon66 wrote:

Bot if Rickard wants, can he be a part of the FluxBB developing team?

He is happy with his wife now.

Welcome to my WoW guild site, the Eternal Reach.

You can also visit Chita, a site built by me, a feral paradise for feline animals.

Great news! (Why isn't it displayed on the front page? hmm) I've signed up smile

Big, big cheers to the dev team. Rough decision to make, you sticked to your word, thank you so much for that. The move to a subdomain says it all.
Long life to fluxbb. We will be supporting the fork.

Connorhd wrote:

Ok, i'm struggling a bit to answer this well, but this wasn't a move against Rickard, whatever happens in the future he is currently not active in PunBB or FluxBB, and therefore he is not in control of PunBB, which is what our problem is. We were happy to be under his "command" but not the new owners.
I'll hope to see you around smile

This is much clearer to me : PunBB isn't punbb anymore if nore developpers, nore initial conceptor stand behind. fluxbb should remain much closer to the actual punbb project. I'm switching as soon as I can get all the mods I installed run on fluxBB... Wich could be long hmm

You can just use the hdiff to upgrade, all mods should keep working wink

Sure, that's probably what I'll do. I'm just wondering what will happen with 1.3, since the variable names of the database are going to be different... Mods that alter database won't follow unless upgraded, I suppose.

You'll indeed have to recreate most of the code, but the database will remain intact.

Wow. I was gone for a long weekend, I come back and now I see this.
I am really sorry for what happened to PunBB. I doubt anybody had bad plans, but what is happening now is just sad. I am sorry for Rickard and all the others, but it seems like he has done a big mistake and this is very hard...
I love PunBB and it's idea, but it lost a lot of that by being sold and moving to the subdomain. I hope FluxBB will still be what PunBB meant to be.

I will probably move with (almost the whole) community, but I am not sure yet...

FluxBB - v1.4.8

What sort of shocks and amazes me is that there has not been any response from the informer people.  Not that we would believe them, but I would have expected by now that one of the new developers would have posted a "do not fear, nothing will change or here's our new plan " sort of message to try to encourage the community to not switch.    So why wouldn't we?

grudon66 wrote:
elbekko wrote:

They can say they will give 2000000$ for Fluxbb, then the developers will buy it big_smile

big_smile OK! go ahead! And we'll have new fork smile And rich developers wink LOL

Went to http://www.fluxbb.org

thanks for the reaction guys I'm moving to FluxBB

Connorhd wrote:

We hope that everyone can check out our site and that those who wish to do so will register and become a part of our new community.

I did: http://fluxbb.org/forums/user/15/

It's been a fun week, nostalgic to say the least.

Then it hit me today, what prevents you guys from selling FluxBB to the next bidder?

hcgtv wrote:

Then it hit me today, what prevents you guys from selling FluxBB to the next bidder?

Took a while for that thought to hit you didn't it? There are a cartload more open ended questions like that. However, there are where any O.S software is concerned. Musing too long on thoughts like that has no beneficial effect. The two choices are to either go along with the general flow, or maintain your own release.

MattF wrote:
hcgtv wrote:

Took a while for that thought to hit you didn't it?

Giddiness took over me, guilty.

MattF wrote:

The two choices are to either go along with the general flow, or maintain your own release.

There is a third, go towards another project.

46 (edited by Paul 2008-05-15 22:35)

The fact they choose to go their own way knowing that in practice they could still end up providing PunBB with all the code for nothing should tell you something.

Paul wrote:

The fact they choose to go their own way knowing that in practice they could still end up providing PunBB with all the code for nothing should tell you something.

Paul,

How many of you on the original coding team raised their hand and said, "Hell no, we won't sell"?

hcgtv wrote:

Not really. It's a two choice decision. If you go to another project, you are faced with those same two choices. Your third scenario is merely a placement shift. smile

MattF wrote:

The two choices are to either go along with the general flow, or maintain your own release.

hcgtv wrote:

Not really. It's a two choice decision. If you go to another project, you are faced with those same two choices. Your third scenario is merely a placement shift. smile

Ok, let's go with maintain your own release.

Does that not go against the Open Source grain? The idea is for us all to work together to make better software that nobody can own but we can all share. If I maintain my own release, then I benefit nobody by myself.

You can start chanting Kum Ba Yah now smile

Not necessarily. If you forked and maintained your own release, that does not mean you have to be the only person working upon it or using it. You would merely be the person in control of its development, if you wished to make it publically available and also allow others to code for it. You would be (a|the) Dev rather than a user. smile