Topic: Can we get the PunBB.org domain back?

Title says it all.

Re: Can we get the PunBB.org domain back?

just type punbb.org it stil ltakes you same place. Wow you people are irritating in the sense of just a simple domain name.

Michael wrote:

Wow you people are irritating in the sense of just a simple domain name.

What's in a name?

Mikey B wrote:

Wow you people are irritating in the sense of just a simple domain name.

As much as I personally don't really mind the recent change, one also has to remember that the org domain does have significant meaning, especially within the Open Source community. Granted, it is just a name to all intent and purpose, but it is significant nonetheless.

yes matt which is why it still exists where you can still go to that domain name and it will just redirect you. That itself means its still out there and has its meaning.

Redirecting from and being served from are two very different things, however.

I'm rather confused as to the domain change too. I understand having the new owners host it. So why not host it on their server, keep the old domain, and have a "hosted by" link/graphic in a prominent but undistracting place?

hcgtv wrote:

Title says it all.

http://punbb.informer.com/forums/viewto … 66#p114166

Moving the PunBB website under the informer.com domain is a way for our benefactors to promote their other services to the PunBB community and to promote PunBB to users of their other services.

hcgtv wrote:

Can we get the PunBB.org domain back?

I suppose the formal answer is No, if you want it to be as it was before.

Carpe diem

Moving the PunBB website under the informer.com domain is a way for our benefactors to promote their other services to the PunBB community and to promote PunBB to users of their other services.

hands up.. who actually wants to go and visit informer.com?

Anatoly wrote:
hcgtv wrote:

Can we get the PunBB.org domain back?

I suppose the formal answer is No, if you want it to be as it was before.

Ok, then I'll move my forums from PunBB to Phorum then.

Thanks for your time Anatoly.

hcgtv wrote:

Ok, then I'll move my forums from PunBB to Phorum then.

I have nothing against Phorum, but does it really suites your needs better, because of domain name? :)

Carpe diem

Using a sub-domain makes it look less important and less professional, which I understand no doubt offended some of the more invested people here. There needs to be a balance between branding/advertising and keeping the community happy, and currently it seems they aren't very happy.

Personally I think it would be a better idea to keep the punbb.org domain and have some kind of "owned/developed/hosted by informer" message somewhere in the header, could even put a link to informer.com in the nav links before the link to PunBB.

Anatoly wrote:

I have nothing against Phorum, but does it really suites your needs better, because of domain name? smile

I have a fond place in my heart for PunBB, but it's only one piece of the puzzle when I put up sites. My sites start off with a front end CMS, then I add a gallery and/or a forum if I see the need for it. From the start, the speed of PunBB was what attracted me, though it lacked in certain areas, I had faith in it's future. What happened a year ago kind of shattered my faith, but I kept an eye on SVN and Smartys' commits. Since PunBB was up in the air and I didn't know what the future held, I started looking for an alternative. This time, I was going to look for something that had what PunBB lacked, that's when Phorum lit up in front of my eyes.

So to answer your question, does Phorum really suite my needs better, the answer is yes. Phorum may not be as quick as PunBB, but add a true templating system to Pun and then let's compare render times. Phorum also has an extensive hook system which is just being introduced into PunBB as an extension system. To cut to the chase, everything lacking in PunBB, Phorum has already addressed.

So why am I still here? Cause I have a fond place in my heart for PunBB smile

I know the domain was changed to help promote informer.com, both the software and feed subdomains to be exact. What I find funny is that PunBB is not used in either subdomain, why I wonder?

As for the software subdomain, have a look at File Hippo to see how a clean interface can be used to attract users. I go there everyday to see the latest updated apps, which is something I don't see at software.informer.com.

It's a shame the owners didn't engage the community with it's ideas first before making the switch. You could of had an army of promoters, instead you have an army of disgruntled forum admins.

Sorry if I continue to hark on this, it's just such a stupid freaking move.

hcgtv: what do you really think is going to happen here?

As you have already been told, this site is not going to move back to PunBB.org, even if it did, the developers that moved to FluxBB would not come back to develop PunBB. The PunBB core is not being developed here, it is currently the FluxBB core rebranded, posting feature requests here will not do much good I wouldn't think.

Things have changed, for better or for worse, they aren't going to "unchange"

well dude's can i buy the domain name then? i got a few idea's for the name.....

the owners sold it once's! so why can't the company.....

Q

My stuff or my style might sux, but atleast I'm willing to help when I can.
Don't be stupid and help ! We are the stupid one's !!!

Connor,

As long as this forum is up and I'm not banned, I'll keep asking wtf happened.

I'll also have feature requests, ideas to share and comments to make.

That's just the way I am, for better or worse.

You know what happened, you were just whining in an non-constructive manner, again, and no need to be sarcastic.

Connor,

Ok, I give up, since SoftDeluxe will not give in to my requests, I'll move to FluxBB then.

Mmm, catfight tongue

My question is whether the link to fluxbb.net (as opposed to .org) was intentional or not tongue

Neal,

The link to .net was constructively intentional.