Re: PunBB= Your own BB?

Epiphone wrote:

Why did PunBB make their software? They could have just developed plug-ins for more...

No they couldn't, PunBB is much more lightweight tongue

IT was an example, and their are forums 900 times less weight than Pun, just not very impressive looking.

Epiphone wrote:

IT was an example, and their are forums 900 times less weight than Pun, just not very impressive looking.

Where?

SF it. They are very limited though, and not as nice, but they are surely light weight.
http://mylittleforum.net/
My internet is working slow at the moment and it loads just as fast as this.

I AM NOT ripping on Pun at all, I love the community, and the software!

And it has an extension system?

Epiphone wrote:

SF it. They are very limited though, and not as nice, but they are surely light weight.

PunBB was started about 5 years before that wink

Connorhd wrote:

And it has an extension system?

I am comparing to 1.2.x and by light weight, I meant bare BARE minimum. PunBB is far better. I just meant you can go UBER light weight.

So any takers? I'd only need one person, for changing around the template and where posts go and cosmetic's, as I can't seem to do that. They'd be co-owner, and eventually if I quit, get it all to themselves.

Epiphone wrote:

So any takers? I'd only need one person, for changing around the template and where posts go and cosmetic's, as I can't seem to do that.

So what are you doing beside changing the copyright notes?

Epiphone wrote:

...eventually if I quit, get it all to themselves.

Nice to read, that you are already thinking about abondoning your own project before it even started.

lol

Connorhd wrote:
lie2815 wrote:
hcgtv wrote:

Check out Franz's PunHooks site, especially the hooks page.

Cool. You seem to be the only one who likes it wink

Just to let you know, I think some of the ideas on your site is great, I don't really like the idea of another separate site, I think this page is great though http://lie2815.heliohost.org/sys/projec … =bbcodebar

Agree. Just firstly seen it. Cool. This can be a useful extension: something like "Extension Developer Info" smile

Carpe diem

chriloi wrote:
Epiphone wrote:

So any takers? I'd only need one person, for changing around the template and where posts go and cosmetic's, as I can't seem to do that.

So what are you doing beside changing the copyright notes?

Epiphone wrote:

...eventually if I quit, get it all to themselves.

Nice to read, that you are already thinking about abondoning your own project before it even started.

lol

I AM NOT Quitting, if I ever did leave this, it would be at least four years into this project.

Template will be redone, re-arranged, features will be added, and it will be spruced up good enough to stand a chance against other majorly used forum softwares.

36 (edited by dhdesign 2008-06-23 20:36)

Reines wrote:
Epiphone wrote:

PunBB was started about 5 years before that wink

Actually, the MyLittleForum project has been around since mid-2002 at least - the oldest post on the German forum for the 1.* branch is from July 2002. I've been following that project since 2003. So it's been around almost as long as PunBB.

I use the latest 1.* version of MLF for a friend's message board, as they wanted a threaded message board, not a forum. It's been modded to remove some features that they didn't want and wouldn't use. They had been using a remotely-hosted message board from Boardhost, and decided that they wanted to host their own, but it had to look and, for the most part, act like the Boardhost board. MLF was the only one that I found that was php/mysql and would do what they wanted.

It is unfair, however, to compare MLF with PunBB or FluxBB - they aren't the same and never will be. Each program has its own merits and serves their respective user groups very well.

dhdesign wrote:

It is unfair, however, to compare MLF with PunBB or FluxBB - they aren't the same and never will be. Each program has its own merits and serves their respective user groups very well.

Yes, each PHP forum in existence caters to a different audience and it's best this way. Imagine us all trying to be the same, the horror. What would separate us, we'd be constantly trying to one-up each other rather than be innovative.

What PunBB has always catered to was the low end, then people started wanting features and Rickard refusing to budge from his vision. What ensued was the flood of mods, which gave way to Punres.org.

Though mods were nice, it was a bit of a pain to upgrade a live forum, enter the extension hook system. Extensions were born out of necessity, though I think it's being viewed as the second coming and a way to turn PunBB into something it was never intended to be.

hcgtv wrote:

Though mods were nice, it was a bit of a pain to upgrade a live forum, enter the extension hook system. Extensions were born out of necessity, though I think it's being viewed as the second coming and a way to turn PunBB into something it was never intended to be.

I don't think that the extension system is the "second coming", but I do believe that it will give the users an easier way to mod their forum, if they choose to do so. Having to edit the core code was always difficult, and one wrong move could render the entire forum useless until the error was found and corrected.

There will be some users who are happy with the default features and won't see the need to install any extensions. There will be some who only need a handful of extensions to add a few nice features, and then there will be some who will install a multitude of extensions to give their forum members every "bell and whistle" that they can.

That's what makes this great - everyone gets what they want, for the most part, and PunBB still stays the lightweight alternative to the other bloated forum programs that Rickard wanted it to be. wink

Good Luck!

Hey, Epiphone, I would love to hear about what ideas you have for your new forum! Do you have a site or post on another forum that describes some of your ideas?

I hope you see my thread in this board smile