Topic: Problem installing on local server: Chmod

Hi i am a new user. I am having problem with my installation of punbb. I have installed it anyway but when i go to index.php it says that IT CANT WRITE THE CACHE
                  IT CANT WRITE THE AVATAR
It's notable that I use WINDOWS. I have heard something about CHMOD and I changed the permission to 777 but nothing happened. In my control panel>file manager there is no option of changing the permission. So I used filezilla, smartftp, but none of them works. I also went to ftp browser from my explorer but in them there is no properties for changing read only mode. It just says NO RIGHT TO READ OR WRITE. So see I have done everything but problem remains. Can anyone tell How Can I Solve The Problem? If can please tell with details(including picture). PLEASE HELP ME.

2 (edited by nahid1203 2008-12-29 17:11)

Re: Problem installing on local server: Chmod

New problem
IISPassword
The page cannot be displayed
There is a problem with the page youare trying to reach and it cannot be displayed.     It is most likely that configuration files for this url are corrupted.
Please try the following:

Click the Refresh button, or try again later.
Open the home page, and then look for links to the information you want.
If you believe you should be able to view this directory or page, please contact the Web site administrator by using the e-mail address or phone number listed on the home page.
HTTP Error 500
IISPassword for Internet Information Services
» IISPassword Info
http://forum.projanmo.com/uploads/2008/12/1338_2008-12-29_223138.png

3 (edited by RB 2008-12-29 18:19)

1. OFC you can't change the permission using FTP client. It's a normal as a rule (I can't do it too with script-made folders/files that located on the server of my host provider). Maybe you would be more lucky if you try change the permission to target file/folder using hand-written php-script. The function is: chmod('url', 0777);

P.S. I can mistake...

Can u please tell in details?

5 (edited by RB 2008-12-29 19:22)

IDK what file(s) exactly you should touch, but principle is simple. For example you wanna change permission of index.php (actually I recommend you to change permission of all of the files and folders in your FORUM catalogue). Your actions: create some *.php and put in there following code:

chmod('/forum/index.php', 0775)

Then run it. But I think it's a dead attempt.

P.S. What kind of host ground do you have? Virtual host or dedicated server?

6 (edited by nahid1203 2008-12-29 20:03)

thanks. But i dont know about virtual/dedicated. What will i do if it is a dead attempt? i am just sick of these and please tell me right away if i can install punbb or not. yikes

Contact your host.

Also, 'Urgent' is absolutely useless as a thread title. Use a meaningful title next time.

8 (edited by nahid1203 2008-12-30 14:54)

It is meaningful to me sad  But sorry as it is my first post. And yes I contacted my host. They told to remove microsoft extension. I did so. But nothing happened. That's  why I asked for you guy's help. Thanks for giving a reply. And sorry anyway.

No worries. smile It is just that it makes it harder for people to gauge what the thread is regarding.

Who is your host? That reply they gave you seems pretty much useless. You really need to try them again and try and get something useful out of them. If they are that useless again with their response, I'd suggest switching to a decent host, personally. You may get this specific problem sorted without their help eventually, but that type of offhand host will always cause you problems in some way or form

10 (edited by nahid1203 2008-12-30 14:59)

Thanks To you friend. Also thanks to the MODERATORS for changing the topic. But can't I really change CHMOD writing in php? I think you guys will help me out and assure me sad

Create a new PHP with:

<?php
var_dump(chmod('./cache', 0777));
echo "<br />";
var_dump(chmod('./img/avatars', 0777));
?>

and save it on your PunBB root by the name of 'chmod.php', then use your browser to open it (once it's uploaded to your server).

You should see:

bool(true)
bool(true)

If not, something else is wrong...?

I will try big_smile