Topic: PunBB.NET beta

We've been working on this project for quite a long time, trying to do our best to create a completely new product, but one that users are already familiar with. And now we are glad to present new  PunBB.Net beta!

2 (edited by KeyDog 2009-01-28 12:10)

Re: PunBB.NET beta

is there more than just a wiki page and download? big_smile

That's all we have for now.
But we are going to add a new branch to current PunBB SVN.
What else would you like to see? We will answer all your questions gladly!

4 (edited by KeyDog 2009-01-28 12:24)

ok thx:

a. Key Differences to PunBB 1.3.2.
b. Do the 1.3.2 Extensions work without mod on it?
c. Screenshots maybe?
d. PunBB.net will be the new home of this forum?
e. The  OO stuff cereal is doing/starting - will it work? - being able to include AJAX seems key
f. Does it replace 1.3.2 or will that keep going ahead

Let's start with differences.
There is one major difference between PunBB.Net and PunBB 1.3.2
PunBB.net is created on Microsoft.NET platform.
This means that PunBB.NET is not compatible with PunBB 1.3.2 and all other versions.
As a result you can't use PunBB 1.3.2 extensions with PunBB.NET.

PunBB.net wont be a new home of this forum.
The reason is we aren't intended to replace PunBB 1.3.2 with PunBB.NET.
It's kind of child project of PunBB and it has it's own life which has just started smile

We have implemented only a part of features PunBB 1.3.2 has. But the situation will change in future.

It's a beta version and we need help of the comunity to improve it.

Don't you think you should be putting this information on the page that is primarily relevant to this 'release' rather than in the forums? It is somewhat lacking in content and information, to say the least.

http://punbb.informer.com/wiki/punbb.net/start

alexp wrote:

It's kind of child project of PunBB and it has it's own life which has just started

what is the thinking behind that though?
why do you think people want microsoft.net based stuff?

Personally I think I prefer to see effort put into 1.3.2 - but I guess one doesn't exclude the other...

KeyDog wrote:

Personally I think I prefer to see effort put into 1.3.2

Probably the first and last time it will happen, but I would have to agree with you there.

I do have a few questions.

how many developers will you have working on Punbb and Punbb.net? And will some developers work across both development versions?

How will you prevent the problems that have hap pend with PunBB, happening to Punbb.asp. Where the community is left with no active developers over the holiday periods.

On a personal note, I would like to join the development team for Punbb.ASP.

Sorry. Unactive due to personal life.

any demo place to look at, and what is difference between ASP vs PHP

i mean which one is bitter, faster, secure, and extensible. and why do you guys even wanted to create it in the first place. i mean there is punbb 1.3.

MyFootballCafe.com  is Now Online!

SuperMAG wrote:

any demo place to look at, and what is difference between ASP vs PHP

i mean which one is bitter, faster, secure, and extensible. and why do you guys even wanted to create it in the first place. i mean there is punbb 1.3.

Use google:

Utchin wrote:

how many developers will you have working on Punbb and Punbb.net? And will some developers work across both development versions?

See http://punbb.informer.com/wiki/development_team for current state of the Team. No changes planned for now.
2 developers have started to work on PunBB.NET for some period time ago. Feel free to join them :-)

Utchin wrote:

And will some developers work across both development versions?

ASP.NET skills differ from PHP development, so there will be not much work across two branches.
Personally I've worked just a little with .NET several years ago and I'm not going to look into the PunBB.NET sources. Though I think that these projects will help each other to become more popular across the web.

Carpe diem

Anatoly wrote:

Though I think that these projects will help each other to become more popular across the web.

Not if support remains lacklustre.

In the beta version, could you give us the project file aswell, so we have the same set up as you.

Utchin wrote:

In the beta version, could you give us the project file aswell, so we have the same set up as you.

To have the same setup as we do you only need to download files folowing the link on Wiki page and  unzip them.

16 (edited by fixed 2009-01-28 15:31)

OK, sorry, this is awful.  i'm out.  i don't want an asp/microsoft-centric forum.

i liked punbb because it was small, elegant, and ran on many existing linux hosts with little fuss.  you're killing a wonderful piece of software; 1.3 had great potential.

didn't some of the original punbb developers fork?  where are they?

and honestly guys... why do this, i'm genuinely curious?

fixed wrote:

you're killing a wonderful piece of software.

We are not going to replace punbb you are  used to with asp/microsoft-centric punbb. It's just one more option for users. Punbb.net is not supposed to make any harm to PunBB. You are free to choose! smile

i don't see you guys in the long term maintaining two sets of completely separate software that perform duplicate functionality (with a similar name), especially when that software isn't commercial.  it just doesn't make sense.

please, though, surprise me, but i'm interpreting this as writing-on-the-wall for php-centric punbb.  i came to these forums to grab documentation on the 1.3 api to write some extensions, but i'm put off now. sad

fixed wrote:

i don't see you guys in the long term maintaining two sets of completely separate software that perform duplicate functionality (with a similar name), especially when that software isn't commercial.  it just doesn't make sense.

The PunBB.PHP and PunBB.NET devteams do not intersect, having different members (though we sit in one room now :-)).
So they will not interfere each others' development.

Regarding the "completely separate software that perform duplicate functionality": ASP.NET and PHP are different Universes having separate markets, so that PunBB will be present in both ones from now.

Compare this to the CMS/Blogging engines for .NET and PHP - they do not intersect. Wordpress is a leader in PHP-world, but it is not a good choice for ASP.NET server and s.o.

Carpe diem

Expanding PunBB to ASP.NET is a really good move, IMO.

21 (edited by Utchin 2009-01-28 22:01)

A project file contains all the information about the environment, such as what framework you use and references.

You also define the following twice:

using PunBB.Helpers;

Im unable to get the project loaded in Microsoft Visual C# 2008 Express Edition with 3.5 installed.

Main error now is:

Error    1    The type or namespace name 'ProfileCommon' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)    C:\Users\Utchin\Documents\Visual Studio 2008\Projects\Punbb\Punbb\UserProfileInfo.aspx.cs    27    17    Punbb

Utchin wrote:

Im unable to get the project loaded in Microsoft Visual C# 2008 Express Edition with 3.5 installed.

Use Microsft Visual Web Developer 2008 Express Edition. It can be downloaded  here.
Open the folder with source codes as a web site (File->Open web site).
When we were creating PunBB.NET beta, .NET framework 2.0 was used. So in order to have your codes compatible with codes we have now, use the same version of framework.

All this information and more will be added to the wiki page in the nearest future.

Wikipedia Object-orientated-programming wrote:

In the past decade Java has emerged in wide use partially because of its similarity to C and to C++, but perhaps more importantly because of its implementation using a virtual machine that is intended to run code unchanged on many different platforms. This last feature has made it very attractive to larger development shops with heterogeneous environments. Microsoft's .NET initiative has a similar objective and includes/supports several new languages, or variants of older ones with the important caveat that it is, of course, restricted to the Microsoft platform.

Am I right in thinking that this will make it unavailable to Linux, FreeBSD, LightTLD environments?
For a GPL Project? smile

I'm a big fan of openoffice.org, filezilla etc - all open source. And also of course hosting on free software.

You're not worried about that? (much smaller market)

24 (edited by alexp 2009-01-29 16:17)

KeyDog wrote:

You're not worried about that? (much smaller market)

There are plenty of opportunities to find free hosting for ASP.NET ( example).
And amount of those who use IIS is also really big.

More than that. A lot of users have to use IIS and don't have other options. PunBB.NET is the only possibilty for them to join PunBB community.

25 (edited by KeyDog 2009-01-29 16:19)

OK thx for info.

BTW: I don't know if you've seen approach  proboards.com has  - but maybe you should think of offering hosted solutions on the future punbb.net package (my current host won't support it - or only for much more money of course big_smile ) - Or at least get a profit sharing deal with a really good hosting company that doesn't muck people around with bandwidth and so forth (and ideally is located on a large bandwidth exchange - like in London Docklands or similiar depending which region customers are).