Topic: pun_poll

Here is description of the extension. 
Download links:

Or you can download pun_poll with help of pun_repository extension.
Feel free to report bugs.

2 (edited by Whater Soer 2009-11-07 21:08)

Re: pun_poll

Nice! smile
I see only one trouble, not critical one, but a bit disapointing: moderators still can see voting fields during topic creation, in spite of Voting permission is disabled

hey, what does this mean: Vouting big_smile

Nice work, and could you fix the spelling mistakes please.

and the box of the voting is a little too big, can you bring the Question of the vote to above the options.

MyFootballCafe.com  is Now Online!

Typo: Header note is "Vouting", should be "Voting".
Typo/Grammar: "You are can't see the votes until you vote yourself." - need to remove the "are".
Grammar: In admin section, the option "Unvoted users can see poll results" soundsvery awkward.  "Users can see poll results without voting" would be better.

Thanks for the great release smile

Q: I noticed the results come on a white background. How would I set it to use the forums background?
Only manually?

Whater Soer wrote:

Nice!
I see only one trouble, not critical one, but a bit disapointing: moderators still can see voting fields during topic creation, despite of Voting permissionis disabled

gokieks wrote:

Typo: Header note is "Vouting", should be "Voting".
Typo/Grammar: "You are can't see the votes until you vote yourself." - need to remove the "are".
Grammar: In admin section, the option "Unvoted users can see poll results" soundsvery awkward.  "Users can see poll results without voting" would be better.

Fixed in version 1.1.1. It is available on the extensions repository page. Or you can get it via pun_repository.

Thanks for the update!
Mine is now installed and fully working!

This text is far too long-winded (typos in bold)

Using this form, you can create a new voting. The number of possible answers can't be less than 2. A question's length can't be less than 5 symbols. A answer's length can't be less than 2 symbols (characters). If you want to add an answer, enter the number of answers you require in the corresponding field and press "Update poll". You can choose the time when your voting will be finished. For this purpose, you can enter a count of days or a maximum count of votes. Remember: if you enter the count of days, the count of votes will be ignored. If your administrator allows to change a user's vote or unvoted users can see voting results, you will see appropriate options.

Also, it is full of double-negatives such as "Can't be less than"

I propose the below text be used instead of the above

See below to create an optional poll. You can choose to end the poll after a set amount of time or after a certain amount of votes have been cast.

There is no need to say any more than that really as you have error messages in place to prevent people creating only 1 answer or answers with not enough characters in.

9 (edited by KeyDog 2009-01-28 09:09)

I found the text usefull when using it first time.
Maybe it could be a help page link in addition to esupergoods suggestion? (so short 1-phrase info plus link to a help page like for bbcode)

both would fit everyones needs... first timers not getting it immediately... and regulars not wanting big text.

I've edited my lang file because the big text was driving me crazy having to scroll past that every time.

ALSO, I normally create topics by typing my message and pressing ALT then ENTER just like sending email with Gmail. But now, because of the poll options ALT and ENTER doesn't create the new topic. So perhaps we could change the tab order so that pressing ALT still jumps directly to the "submit" button. That would be coooooool.

Cosmetic stuff at the Forum > Administration > Settings > Features page:

1)
First line: "Disable revoting info" on the left, "Disable revoting" on the right.
Second line: "Disable see results" on the left, "Disable see results info" on the right.
Third line: "Maximum answers info" on the left, "Maximum answers" on the right.

Inconsistency. And, besides, the "... info" strings should be on the right side since they in fact explain meaning of the parameters on the left.

2)
String "Users can see poll results without voting." ("Disable see results info") is shown in black, while all other parameter strings at that page are shown in a shade of blue.

3)
The names of the "Disable..." parameters are misleading since what they actually do is allow.

An option to allow to choose more than one answer would be a plus.

Say parameter N is the max number of answers that a user can choose, N=1 being the default.

Slavok wrote:
Whater Soer wrote:

Nice!
I see only one trouble, not critical one, but a bit disapointing: moderators still can see voting fields during topic creation, despite ofVoting permissionis disabled

Fixed in version 1.1.1. It is available on the extensions repository page. Or you can get it via pun_repository.

It's me again smile All clear with creation of new topics, but then I (as moderator) edit old topic, I see those voting fields again...

Just noticed: pun_quote does not work in topic with poll. Anyone else notice this?

esupergood wrote:

I've edited my lang file because the big text was driving me crazy having to scroll past that every time.

ALSO, I normally create topics by typing my message and pressing ALT then ENTER just like sending email with Gmail. But now, because of the poll options ALT and ENTER doesn't create the new topic. So perhaps we could change the tab order so that pressing ALT still jumps directly to the "submit" button. That would be coooooool.

What browser are you using?

8k84 wrote:

Cosmetic stuff at the Forum > Administration > Settings > Features page

1)
First line: "Disable revotinginfo" on the left, "Disable revoting" on the right.
Second line: "Disable see results" on the left, "Disable see resultsinfo" on the right.
Third line: "Maximum answersinfo" on the left, "Maximum answers" on the right.

Inconsistency. And, besides, the "... info" strings should be on the right side since they in fact explain meaning of the parameters on the left.

2)
String "Users can see poll results without voting." ("Disable see results info") is shown in black, while all other parameter strings at that page are shown in a shade of blue.

3)
The names of the "Disable..." parameters are misleading since what they actually do isallow.

Have you installed the latest version of pun_poll? Are you talking about keys in the lang file?

8k84 wrote:

2)

Thanks, fixed.

Whater Soer wrote:

All clear with creation of new topics, but then I (as moderator) edit old topic, I see those voting fields again...

Thanks for reporting, fixed.
A new version 1.1.2 of the extension is available now. Use pun-repository or visit the extensions repository page to get it.

Can not switch off "Enable revoting" option in an already existing poll with this option On.

Disabling this feature "globally" (via admin panel) does not help: the option disappears from the poll editing form, but remains On.

Slavok wrote:

Are you talking about keys in the lang file?

Yes, number one was about keys in the lang file and how they're used in the admin panel. No big deal of course, but makes translating lang file a bit harder, and... well, say it's "bad style".

Slavok wrote:
esupergood wrote:

So perhaps we could change the tab order so that pressing ALT still jumps directly to the "submit" button. That would be coooooool.

What browser are you using?

Google Chrome.
It takes 10 ALT presses to get to the Submit Topic button
Cheers

19 (edited by padizar 2009-02-02 21:16)

Pun Poll 1.1.2 is released. smile

See last line of message #15. wink

I believe it would be better if all poll-related fields were under "Submit" and "Preview" buttons rather than above them.
Their current position confuse those users who are not very computer/internet-savvy.

Also, the results should include total number of votes (say, as an extra "Total" line in the results table).

22 (edited by Meteolab 2009-02-02 22:10)

why is it limited to max. 7 questions per poll?

Greets,
Meteolab

Meteolab wrote:

why is it limited to max. 7 questions per poll?

If you mean "answer variants per poll", that can be changed in admin panel (Forum > Administration > Settings > Features), the range is from 2 to 100.

If you mean "answer variants per poll", that can be changed in admin panel (Forum > Administration > Settings > Features), the range is from 2 to 100.

8k84 thank you very much for this hint!

Meteolab

Hello this version not work for me, when i add a poll in a post, not show after that i add new post.