Re: PunBB.NET beta

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Line 20:         {
Line 21:             _extension = new Extension(this);
Line 22:             _connection.ConnectionString = _connections["PunConnectionString"].ConnectionString;
Line 23:             BuildCategoryListView();
Line 24:         }

Source File:  c:\Users\Utchin\Downloads\punbbnet_beta\PunBB.Net\Default.aspx.cs    Line:  22

Sorry. Unactive due to personal life.

Utchin wrote:

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Line 20:         {
Line 21:             _extension = new Extension(this);
Line 22:             _connection.ConnectionString = _connections["PunConnectionString"].ConnectionString;
Line 23:             BuildCategoryListView();
Line 24:         }

Source File:  c:\Users\Utchin\Downloads\punbbnet_beta\PunBB.Net\Default.aspx.cs    Line:  22

You have to run http://<your_site>/Install.aspx first.

If you are going to use MS Access 2003 don't forget to put your *.mdb file into App_Data dir.

Can I run sql server 08?

it's a advanced step for punbb

Utchin wrote:

Can I run sql server 08?

Yes, it works with SQL Server 08

Do we not need the Database Schema ??

Thx for your replies!
You can find it here smile

Finnaly got my server working and I must say you guys have done a good job on it! You have done allot.

PunBB.NET demo is available here

Demo: I must say that it loads very nice - good speed - smooth transition. Nice job.

Never tried PunBB, yet I got to love it very quickly, for it's simplicity and ease of costumization.
I still prefer PHP that's a non-Micro$oft language. And because I alredy understand and know how to deal with it smile

Still good news for those that like it big_smile

Thx you guys smile

We've just opened our SVN with all the information about PunBB.NET.

http://punbb.informer.com/punbbnet/svn

(I promise that comments we will write in English only big_smile).

what a shame... you would better work on pure PunBB instead of shitty NET -.-

Working on .NET is a good side path for Punbb which has a rather large development team.

marines wrote:

what a shame... you would better work on pure PunBB instead of shitty NET -.-

I wouldn't go so far as calling .NET shitty, it's better than ActiveX any day of the week.

What I call shitty is the way Microsoft lured Anders Heljsberg away from Delphi so he could create C#. Anders was like a programming God to many of us, by him selling out, he lost his aura, he lost his glow. The .NET platform was more about slowing Sun's Java than to give me or you a really nice programming language, it's the way M$ works, protect the cash cow (Office) at any and all costs.

Utchin wrote:

Working on .NET is a good side path for Punbb which has a rather large development team.

Did you mean to say sidetrack wink

I know that the PunBB team could do anything they desire, after all, this is Open Source, scratch your own itch and all that. But creating a .NET equivalent of PunBB sends the wrong signal.

41 (edited by MattF 2009-02-08 16:35)

hcgtv wrote:

What I call shitty is the way Microsoft lured Anders Heljsberg away from Delphi so he could create C#. Anders was like a programming God to many of us, by him selling out, he lost his aura, he lost his glow.

So, it's the fault of M$ and not the programmer who, (one can only assume), buggered off purely and simply for money, (or some other equally shallow motive)?

hcgtv wrote:

But creating a .NET equivalent of PunBB sends the wrong signal.

I doubt the overall Pun image can be tarnished much further than it already has been.

Btw, can we please have the bog standard quote system reinstated. This damned quick quote setup is highly annoying.

MattF wrote:

So, it's the fault of M$ and not the programmer who, (one can only assume), buggered off purely and simply for money, (or some other equally shallow motive)?

Here is an Anders Hejlsberg tribute page I put up back in 1998. The majority of the links are dead, but I saved the message that Anders sent to Compuserve on his departure and Chuck Jazdzewski's Usenet posting about Anders.

Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it.
George Santayana

44 (edited by patheticcockroach 2009-02-13 06:58)

hcgtv wrote:

But creating a .NET equivalent of PunBB sends the wrong signal.

I guess it proves what we'd been told on the Flux forums.

fixed wrote:

please, though, surprise me, but i'm interpreting this as writing-on-the-wall for php-centric punbb.  i came to these forums to grab documentation on the 1.3 api to write some extensions, but i'm put off now. sad

Same there. I was feeling bad I didn't find the time to finish my extension, now I'm pretty happy with that... When I saw this PunBB.Net news I almost had an heart attack. Now I just need to find another OS BBS... neutral

patheticcockroach wrote:

When I saw this PunBB.Net news I almost had an heart attack

All you guys who are so discouraged because of PunBB.NET should understand that this project will make absolutely no harm to PHP PunBB. I've already wrote it here, but it seems to me i should do it again. PunBB and PunBB.NET are two separate projects. If you don't want to support PunBB.NET it's your choice. And we assure you that PunBB.NET won't replace PHP PunBB.

patheticcockroach wrote:

I was feeling bad I didn't find the time to finish my extension, now I'm pretty happy with that...

I think you should finish your extension smile

46 (edited by oliversl 2009-02-17 01:58)

Since there are 2 developers working in punbb.net that are not working on punbb.org, there is the loss for punbb I think. Why have 2 teams while could have one bigger more powerfull team?

Also, punbb 1.3 took so long to launch, and now I don't see a punbb 1.3.3 until maybe the end of 2009. I will rather see more mod finished and maybe an upgrade routine that does not truncate all of your 1.2 forum text in your DB(migration to UTF-8 is broken and should not ship).

Of course there is place for all programing languages, but maintaing 2 code base is like shipping a forum with custom implementation of php5 in php4, a lost of time in my view. "Reuse as much as you can" should be the idea.

Good luck and let see how this evolves

Oliver

http://tinymailto.com/oliversl <-- my email after a captcha

I'm sad to see your development team broken in half, this will only slow down PunBB development. I've never heard of a company support a web product for 2 platforms. sad Especially if you try to keep them at the same level with the same features, I just dont see that working out good at all. Building more extensions for PunBB would of increased its popularity a lot more than any .NET version. neutral

PHP and .NET programming skills are very different. PunBB.NET devs are not too good in PHP and we are not good in .NET. So we couldn't just join .NET-team to PHP-team - this would be useless. And vice versa.

Carpe diem

So why don't you hire two more php devels? I have no problem against ASP, but I only have fear that punbb 1.4 will take the same time to develop that 1.3 did.

If .net developers are not hired, then just ignore this message wink

http://tinymailto.com/oliversl <-- my email after a captcha

50 (edited by mejobloggs 2009-03-04 03:15)

Very nice indeed.

I must say, .NET 1 seemed a bit crappy, but I've had a chance to use .NET 3.5 at work, with VS2008, and it is AWESOME

Also note that it is not ASP, but ASP.NET. Worlds of difference between them