Topic: [Request] "Thanks" extension

I have an idea of "Thanks" exstenion. I'll try to describe how I see it (I saw similar on IPB).

1. How it must looks in viewtopic, in userinfo block:

http://www.picamatic.com/show/2009/03/05/11/29/2600864_bigthumb.gif

On click "Thanks" we said "thanks" for the post. Ideally, the counter in brackets should be updated without reloading the page - javascript or ajax based. On click by counter number we got pupup window with list of users, who said "thanks".

2. In profile we can see overall count of thanks:

http://www.picamatic.com/show/2009/03/05/11/31/2600887_bigthumb.gif

Of course, multiple thanks for one post from same user not allowed, as well as thanks to yourself smile
I think this extension should be useful for the community. Well, who is brave to made it? smile

Re: [Request] "Thanks" extension

Nice idea, will try to make something like this smile

same like e-karma?

if mONey is lOSt nOThINg is lOSt,
if cHArACtER is lOSt sOMeTHiNG is lOSt,
bUT,
if rELiGIon and eDUcATiON aRE lOSt eVErYThINg is lOSt.

FaRe-Ed wrote:

same like e-karma?

Similar, but not the same. e-karma count votes for/against user and counter in userinfo block always show total value.

Number of "Thanks" counts for each message separately, but in user profile you can see the total value - how many times you said thanks & how many times other users said thanks to you.

kierownik, glad to hear that someone has responded. Hope on you! wink

You can see live example here, on this IPB board - http://forum.funkysouls.com/. But it needs to register, to test their "Thanks" system smile

nice idea smile
I will use it too

thanks cool

YonasH's repository + Extensions Directory = PunBB Extensions Online Library (in progress....)

Away. I will be back soon.

thanks are bitter then karma. It just say the meaning. cool

MyFootballCafe.com  is Now Online!

Should a thank you be removed it the post is removed?

I think... No smile Because if thanks was given, there was reasons for that and post deleting didn't cancel it - maybe post was useful for someone at sometime. This is my view, but of course, opposite option also possible smile

I think, it should. Otherwise, some group of users can "thank" to their own posts all the time and increase counters. Deletion by moderator will remove fake thanks.

Or do something like this:
-each post can be thanked only once
-user A can thank to user B only once

first one is easy to implement, second will require new table imo.

YonasH's repository + Extensions Directory = PunBB Extensions Online Library (in progress....)

YonasH wrote:

-each post can be thanked only once

Well, of course, each user can thank for each post only once.

YonasH wrote:

-user A can thank to user B only once

Not in general. Basic idea - for every forum post each user can thank only once. I mean: we can thank user A for message X only once, but it doesn't mean, that after that we can't thank same user for post Y.

YonasH wrote:

some group of users can "thank" to their own posts all the time and increase counters

I think there should be protection from this - it's necessary to block votes for own posts.

Members can only thank a user one time for making a particular post.

See http://testpunbb.kierownik.nl/post4.html#p4

Nice smile
A few comments:
1. At the moment clicking on counter not showing us a list of thankful users. We just moved to the top of the page. As I understand, it's just because extension is not finished yet smile
2. I think "Thanks" action link is better to merge with a counter. I mean, in userinfo now we have "Thank you's: 2". So, "Thank you's" should be action link to thank user, and counter number - link to thankful users list.
No need to separate it near edit, reply, quotations & etc. links. It will be more compact, i think wink
3. Would be ideally if the counter will be updated without updating the entire page.

1) But ofcourse the extension is not finished yet, that link will go to a page in the users profile that shows us the thank you's

2) I do not think that the thank you's should be a link to thank the user because there is the users info and not the posts info.

3) I first make it like how it is now and later I will try to make it so that it uses ajax.

@TuxPirate

2- Yes Thank yous look wearied, Thanked or Thanks will be bitter.
3- No, Not a good idea, do not use ajax in every thing, because it slows server. It increases load.
And unless you have a forum with 50000000 users, who will need to check how many thanks you did without updating page.

i think you should make it simple.

MyFootballCafe.com  is Now Online!

TuxPirate wrote:
YonasH wrote:

some group of users can "thank" to their own posts all the time and increase counters

I think there should be protection from this - it's necessary to block votes for own posts.

I didn't mean that user A will vote for his post. I mean, that user A and user B will cross-vote all the time for their posts. (limitation B can be used)

I have about 3000 posts on my own forum. I can create fake user account and thank to myself 3000 times, because there will be no limitation. Then I can create another fake user account and vote next 3000 times. I will do this 3 more times, and my original user account will have 15000 Thanks.
When you will apply my limitations I will have only 5.

YonasH wrote:

-each post can be thanked only once (A)
-user A can thank to user B only once (B)

Second thing.
Why user A which get 50 thanks for one post is better than user B which get only 1 thanks for different post? They both do the same work - write one post.
For example there is some community (forum) which loves to watch youtube movies. Many of them are looking for some particular movie. User A found this and got 100 thanks. But there is user B too. He is responding for single queries, hard ones, and usually get 1 thank per one help. Who is better? wink (limitation A can be used)

kierownik - maybe you can add this as an option (in admin panel) ??

17 (edited by esupergood 2009-03-09 10:14)

A good rule could be:
"you can't thank any posts until you have x thanks OR x posts first"

This would prevent people creating new accounts just to vote for themself.

YonasH, yeah, I think now I understand your point of view smile
esupergood, nice idea. Or make "thanks" depending on user group.

esupergood, nice idea. Or make "thanks" depending on user group.

For me that would be better. Once I've verified that a user is unique and a valued member I moved them to a new usergroup so they can access more sensitive/sensible forums. That would work for me very well yes

20 (edited by kierownik 2009-03-09 16:04)

have to look at those options and how to include them.

They are all nice ideas.

What about only thanking a person once a day?
I already put the time() in the thanks table so that would not be hard to implement?

kierownik wrote:

I think, if make restrictions, it is better to make a shorter periond, for example one voice in 15-30 minutes. I think it will be enough. Anyway, I think, no special problems to change the time period even in finished extension by a little editing of manifest code wink

I must say that the limitations, of course, heavily depend on forum specifics  - for some several seconds or minutes will be enough, but some need a whole day. Depends on forum and it's users wink

kierownik wrote:

TuxPirate wrote:

it is better to make a shorter periond, for example one voice in 15-30 minutes

Maybe just one more option?
I learned making my extensions, that more options gives less queries in future wink
Adding new option to admin panel is easy, and access to it's value even easier. Imo there should be these options:

Features:
[x] limit one thanks per post
[x] limit one thanks from user X to user Y
[__] time in minutes between gave thanks

Users group:
[x] can get thanks
[x] can give thanks

ps. on my forum I'll need some extension for get fingerprint and eye scan before write a post soon tongue Users are crazy big_smile If I would install thanks system without limitations, then I'm sure after one week, some of them will have couple hundreds of thanks, and play who will first get a thousand wink

Just found the original mod.

With that mod you can only thank once for a topic and then it wraps everyone in a topic at the end of the thread.
http://users.informatik.haw-hamburg.de/~falken_e/ipb/thx_13.jpg
Here is the link to the description http://mods.invisionize.com/db/index.php/f/1335
And another thread of the mod http://forums.invisionize.com/Thx-Machi … 53968.html

You have to enable it per forum to use it.

The only thing I did not find yet what time is between thanks

Another option should be that the admin could remove thank you's from a thread. And if a user is removed the thank you's should also be removed but not sure about this one.

I use eKarma on my forum in the same way you mean.
Just rename "Karma +" into "Thanks" and leave "Karma -" field empty.

like here: inslnt.ru/forum

Sorry if misunderstood something and sorry for my poor eng skills.

just_shark wrote:

I use eKarma on my forum in the same way you mean.
Just rename "Karma +" into "Thanks" and leave "Karma -" field empty.

like here: inslnt.ru/forum

Sorry if misunderstood something and sorry for my poor eng skills.

YOUR USING MY FORUM STYLE

SAY THANKS NOW KAY?