1 (edited by MattF 2009-03-23 15:35)

Topic: A couple of existing extension javascript suggestions

Might one suggest that the bbcode tools, i.e: the smiley bar and editor tool blocks, are only visible when javascript is enabled. They are totally useless without. smile

Plus, it isn't necessary to load all of the quickquote/multiquote information for guests. The page size is being bloated unnecessarily for no reason whatsoever.

Re: A couple of existing extension javascript suggestions

i completely agree with the quickquote stuff. its adds few extra kilobytes for browser to load.

MyFootballCafe.com  is Now Online!

my toolbar will only be added to the page if javascript is enabled - I just have to finish off some specific checks for when bbcode , images, smileys aren't enabled.

my mind is on a permanent tangent
byUsers forum

MattF wrote:

Plus, it isn't necessary to load all of the quickquote/multiquote information for guests. The page size is being bloated unnecessarily for no reason whatsoever.

Agree with you. It will be implemented in the next version of pun_quote.
What method do you suggest to determine whether client's JavaScript is enabled at server?

javascipt links should be added via the DOM.

my mind is on a permanent tangent
byUsers forum

6 (edited by esupergood 2009-03-23 12:50)

polite request: make a more descriptive topic title for this. smile

Slavok wrote:

What method do you suggest to determine whether client's JavaScript is enabled at server?

Cheers. smile

As Rich mentioned, javascript itself should enable the links being displayed. A display: none in the CSS for the id of the div, (or whichever parent tag they're enclosed in), containing the links and then set to display via javascript. If javascript isn't enabled, they can't ever become visible.

esupergood wrote:

polite request: make a more descriptive topic title for this. smile

Couldn't think of anything suitable initially. big_smile Is the updated subject better?

I was thinking of something like "Java-dependent Extensions"
Sorry, I'm just being pedantic big_smile

esupergood wrote:

I was thinking of something like "Java-dependent Extensions"
Sorry, I'm just being pedantic big_smile

Honestly. Some people. big_smile Does that subject hit the spot? big_smile

Oooh yeah wink
haha, sorry

12 (edited by MattF 2009-03-24 15:41)

Slavok wrote:

Just as an example, (I never thought to mention it previously), there is a live example on my testbed forum.

http://forums.bauchan.org/devforum/forums.php

If you log in with the following credentials:

Username: testuser
Password: testpass123

you can see in the CSS, topic view source and js source how I've done it.

p.s: There is also an alternative multi-quote system in progress on there which may be another line to think on with regards to the pun_quote setup. It uses the traditional quote system, but can span multiple pages in a topic and doesn't require the post info loading in the normal output HTML. Just thought it may be worthwhile having a peek at, if you're curious. smile

13 (edited by MattF 2009-03-24 15:43)

esupergood wrote:

Oooh yeah wink
haha, sorry

big_smile big_smile No worries. There's nothing as annoying as a misleading, or indescriptive, title. smile

Mattf, thanks for example, I think it will be useful.

MattF wrote:

p.s: There is also an alternative multi-quote system in progress on there which may be another line to think on with regards to the pun_quote setup. It uses the traditional quote system, but can span multiple pages in a topic and doesn't require the post info loading in the normal output HTML. Just thought it may be worthwhile having a peek at, if you're curious. smile

Are you talking about this?

Slavok wrote:

Are you talking about this?

I bally well hope not. big_smile

http://forums.bauchan.org/devforum/java … tiquote.js

I did add a check_quoted function in that script for calling on window load, if required, but I just explode the cookie for the id's in post.php and viewtopic.php to use whilst recursing the loop. No arsing about waiting for all page content to load that way, before they are marked as selected/unselected. Plus, you are processing the quoted post(s) content via the normal forum methods, so it negates the need for having a seperate parsing function in the js file.