1 (edited by quaker 2009-07-04 03:59)

Topic: Acer PC joins Nvidia's 'Ion' with Intel's Atom

Acer launched a PC Tuesday that attempts to bring PC-class performance to Atom-processor-based PCs.
The Acer AspireRevo, about the size of hardcover book, combines Nvidia graphics with Intel Atom processor
http://i39.tinypic.com/2janct0.jpg
The Acer AspireRevo, about the size of a hardcover book, combines Nvidia graphics with Intel Atom processor.
(Credit: Acer)

The Acer AspireRevo is the first Atom-based PC from a major PC supplier to use Nvidia's Ion chipset that packs GeForce 9400M graphics, the same graphics used in the Apple 13-inch MacBook and MacBook Air.

By design, Atom is a more power frugal and, concomitantly, slower processor than Intel's mainstream Core 2 chip architecture.

The AspireRevo's marquee external feature is the diminutive size: the desktop is comparable in size to a laptop (though slightly thicker, about the size of a typical hardcover book). Internally, the device will test Nvidia's thesis that devices, such as Netbooks, that pair the Atom processor with Nvidia graphics offer much better performance than Intel-only (i.e., Atom-with-Intel-chipset) platforms.

This won't be quite the slam dunk that it was before, however. Intel recently started shipping the Atom N280 and the accompanying GN40 chipset, which for the first time on an Intel Netbook platform delivers 1080p HD playback.

"The AspireRevo...is perfectly suited for the living room, because Nvidia Ion provides a brilliant graphics experience with digital photos, watching video, and playing family-friendly games," said Gianpiero Morbello, corporate vice president of marketing for Acer, in a statement.

Specs:
The AspireRevo is debuting today alongside a plethora of other Acer wares, boasting a 1.6GHz Intel Atom 230 processor, up to 4GB of RAM, up to 250GB of HDD space, a 4-in-1 card reader, HDMI / VGA outputs, gigabit Ethernet, six USB 2.0 sockets, audio in / out, Windows Vista Home Premium / Basic and a svelte black and white enclosure that measures just 7.1- x 7.1- x 1.2-inches.

Thanks to "Garciat"

Nvidia listed the following capabilities for the Ion-based AspireRevo:

* Ability to run Windows Vista Home Premium
    * 1080p HD video with true-fidelity 7.1 audio
    * Popular games including Spore, Call of Duty 4, and Sim City 5
    * DirectX 10 graphics with advanced digital display connectivity
    * Accelerated video enhancement and transcoding using Nvidia CUDA technology

Pricing information was not immediately available. Generally speaking, Ion-based desktops are expected to be priced under $300.

My stuff or my style might sux, but atleast I'm willing to help when I can.
Don't be stupid and help ! We are the stupid one's !!!

Re: Acer PC joins Nvidia's 'Ion' with Intel's Atom

What are the specs?

Edit:

Engadget wrote:

The AspireRevo is debuting today alongside a plethora of other Acer wares, boasting a 1.6GHz Intel Atom 230 processor, up to 4GB of RAM, up to 250GB of HDD space, a 4-in-1 card reader, HDMI / VGA outputs, gigabit Ethernet, six USB 2.0 sockets, audio in / out, Windows Vista Home Premium / Basic and a svelte black and white enclosure that measures just 7.1- x 7.1- x 1.2-inches.

why dont they use the 330 chip dual core..
errr..

Q

Yeah, the processor sucks.

I'd rather buy a netbook.

i'm looking for a media center system for all my rooms. and even tho this is not duo core it would still work.

i have 4 lcd tv in the house..

and running win7 ultimate on 3 tv now..
and with 1 modded xbox 360 hehe.

Q

smile I blindly bought an Acer Aspire laptop with the Intel Atom,but the decision was price and gambling on an unknown.I am enjoying it as it is exactly what I needed,'cause I like the parks and take it out there with me.350.00 dollars including shipping and handling and it comes with webcam etc.