Topic: Is Anti Spam Bot mod needed for 1.3?
I just wanted to see if there is any interest in a spam bot protection mod for 1.3 or if 1.3 already comes with one.
I wrote this mod http://www.network-technologies.org/Pro … mod_punbb/ a while back and have received good feedback but I doubt the instructions work for 1.3
I am currently writing a new bot protection script for all my web pages and I could port it to 1.3 if it is needed.
My protection will:
- Ask questions, I really hate images based captchas because most are just too hard to read.
- Write to .htaccess file and block user by IP using mod rewrite if too many invalid answers where given (brute force protection)
- Offers instant block when opening the wrong page. It is possible to place a hidden link on a page and disallow access via robots.txt. This will catch the badly behaving robots.
- Offers the user the chance to unblock his/her IP via a unlock form
Not done yet but will be added soon:
- Whitelist IPs, the database will contain the IP block for Google.com, Yahoo, ... and prevent accidental blocks of "good bots"
So please post here if you are interested in the above and I will get started on writing the implementation guide.