1 (edited by Alrescha 2004-04-25 07:21)

Topic: Allowing guests to post and reply?

For the life of me, I cannot get my PunBB setup to allow un-registered guests to post. It's a fresh 1.1.3, with the traditional chinese language pack. Here's the forum (big5 encoding): http://forums.alrescha.idv.tw/

I made sure that in Options, Guests my post topics and reply to topics, and none of the forums are Admin/Mod only, nor are they closed.

But whenever I visit as a guest (logged out), I don't see the quick reply box, nor can I post without specifying a username and email.

Maybe I'm being blind to something. Any pointers?

Edit: typo.

Re: Allowing guests to post and reply?

The quick reply box is only visible for logged in users, regardless of whether guest posts are enabled or not. Guests have to enter a username and an e-mail when they post. I believe this is the case in most bulletin boards. They are still guests, but to separate "Guest" from "Guest", they have to enter a username and an e-mail address.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

The "Username" field could be a bit confusing or off-putting for some Guests. Perhaps it could be labelled "Your Name" or simply "Name" for guest posting? In other words, a separate (new) item in the language file and accompanying code to switch between  displaying 'Username' and 'Your Name' (or whatever). Just a thought.

I agree. I'll have a look at it for 1.2.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

I see...thanks for clearing it up.

When playing around with it, I found something I don't really understand.

The same e-mail address, if I use any capitalization before the @, then it is treated as an invalid address. Why? I thought e-mail addresses aren't case sensitive. roll

You are absolutely correct. I'll fix that.

sleddog wrote:

The "Username" field could be a bit confusing or off-putting for some Guests. Perhaps it could be labelled "Your Name" or simply "Name" for guest posting?

Fixed in 1.2.

8 (edited by sparrowautomotive 2012-06-24 15:53)

my guest posting is off and cant for the life of me find an option to turn it on?  my forums is http://www.sparrowmotive.net/forum/ its just getting started with about 10 members

i resolved my problem! thanks i love my punbb forum!

sparrowautomotive wrote:

my guest posting is off and cant for the life of me find an option to turn it on?  my forums is http://www.sparrowmotive.net/forum/ its just getting started with about 10 members

i resolved my problem! thanks i love my punbb forum!

I have the same Problem