Topic: Putting a password on a forum or category. How to?

I was wondering how to put a password on a forum or category. Does punBB have this functionality out of the box or are there extensions available that can do this?

Re: Putting a password on a forum or category. How to?

No, there is not functionality for this in the forum core. Will it be enough for you just to hide some forums from a user?

Slavok wrote:

No, there is not functionality for this in the forum core. Will it be enough for you just to hide some forums from a user?

Perhaps that would be a possibility too. However that would mean i'd have to hide certain forums for many users. Out of interest. How would one do that?

Also, is there perhaps an extension available that can put a password on a forum or category?

jma wrote:

Perhaps that would be a possibility too. However that would mean i'd have to hide certain forums for many users. Out of interest. How would one do that?

The forum is hidden for a user if he/she hasn't the permission to read that forum. Go to "<FORUM_URL>/admin/forums.php?edit_forum=<forum_id>" to edit forum permissions.

jma wrote:

Also, is there perhaps an extension available that can put a password on a forum or category?

No, there is not. Add an extension request, perhaps some member of our community will create it.

I was wondering if it's perhaps possible to put a password on punbb forums when using the folder based URL-scheme and then paswording the particular forum using an .htaccess file. I've set the URL-scheme to folder based now. However that scheme seem to not actually create the folders in the url scheme. (Like for example www.foo.com/forum/4/)
In the example the directories /forum/4/ seem to not be created in the root on the server.

Do you know if what i'm trying to do is perhaps possible?

You seem to be trying to build another access control function on top of a forum that already quite good access control.

Just get more granular with the way you classify your users and then apply that to the way you set forum access rights.