Topic: How to Backup/Upgrade/Migrate from PunBB 1.2 to PunBB 1.3?

Hi,

I'm sure this has been asked before, but I'm been searching and I couldn't find any answers to the issues I've facing during this upgrade.  I'm not incredibly tech minded when it comes to web stuff, so I'll try to be as clear as possible.

I have a PunBB forum version 1.2.16 (Domain1.com).  I've installed version 1.3.4, but on a different domain (Domain2.com/punbb), so at least I know that it works.

1. How do I backup what I already have?
2. How do I install the new software where the old software was? (upgrade)
3. How do I reinstall everything back that I previously had? (migrate)

I'm on Dreamhost btw and I have about 700 users and 15,000 posts, so I really need to make sure I don't screw this up.

Any help is much appreciated.

Re: How to Backup/Upgrade/Migrate from PunBB 1.2 to PunBB 1.3?

I have inferred from your post that you want to move the forum from Domain1.com to Domain2.com/punbb and to upgrade it from version 1.2.16 to version 1.3.4.
Is it right?

No, not quite.

Domain2.com is just a test domain because I'm so technically unsophisticated that I fear installing a 2nd copy of Punbb on the same domain (lest I make a mistake and it destroys the first copy).  So I'm just using it to get a feel of PunBB 1.3.

My goal is to have everything still on the original Domain1.com, but have all the old content and users and passwords now using PunBB 1.3.

Ok.

Please describe, what you have on Domain1.com and Domain2.com.
What do you need to have on Domain1.com and Domain2.com?

I don't need ANYTHING on Domain2.com.

I need PunBB 1.3 on Domain1.com with all of the content that's currently on my install of PunBB 1.2.

If I understand you correctly, you want to upgrade PunBB from version 1.2 to version 1.3, right?
If so, then you should read the Wiki page about it http://punbb.informer.com/wiki/punbb13/ … _punbb_1.3

7 (edited by black_forest 2009-07-29 11:42)

Hoho thank's so much big_smile big_smile