Topic: pun_stop_bots

This is a first release of new extension pun_stop_bots. The extension will ask some questions to prevent bot registration and posting. More information you can find in the Wiki. There are only two questions in the DB after installation, so don't forget to add more questions.
Links:

It will be great to hear your opinions and suggestions on improvement of the extension.

Re: pun_stop_bots

It's so good!! big_smile

Taiwan is a country.
I am sorry for my English.

An excellent extension. Powerful and also easy to administer.

It would be nice to have questions and answers different for different languages.

5 (edited by chovy 2009-12-02 05:37)

was there an interface to add questions?

update: I just tried adding a question and got this error:

An error was encountered

Note: For detailed error information (necessary for troubleshooting), enable "DEBUG mode". To enable "DEBUG mode", open up the file config.php in a text editor, add a line that looks like "define('FORUM_DEBUG', 1);" (without the quotation marks), and re-upload the file. Once you've solved the problem, it is recommended that "DEBUG mode" be turned off again (just remove the line from the file and re-upload it).

update (with fix): I added an apostrophe...to my answer...it probably just needs the mysql_add_slashes() wrapped around the value. Answer I used: "it's all politics" -- removing the apostrophe worked fine.

Thanks for reporting, chovy. Fixed in [1458].

wow, that was quick smile

8 (edited by chovy 2009-12-02 20:32)

I found a problem when used with openid extension...after registering with openid, I can sign in fine, but the pun stop bot question keeps popping up when I put a valid answer -- the result is I'm unable to post.

Test: http://www.optimseo.com -- register with openid, then try to post.

(I have disabled pun_stop_bots because this was blocking users from posting when used with openid).

I will upgrade the extension for correct work with openid extension.

I just upgraded the other day, refreshed hooks -- still getting the same issue occassionally.

I'll inform you when modifications are finished.

Thanks Slavok -- I wanted to let you know, I don't think it was related to openid since the other forum didn't have that extension installed and was still having this issue.

chovy, have you found any solution to this problem?

nope. it still asks me several times.

Is there any way to have this extension require the questions answered only for registration and not for posting?

brad0383 wrote:

Is there any way to have this extension require the questions answered only for registration and not for posting?

Yes!
I installed and then disabled it. I can not annoy forum users with questions when they are posting. But now 2 weeks I am experiencing spam bots attack and captcha at registration do not prevent them...

Ahmed wrote:

I am experiencing spam bots attack

How many registrations a day?
How many unverified registrations a day?
How many posts of spammers a day?
Have you tried stopforumspam extension? and/or URL checker extension? (or the combined extension)

brad0383 wrote:

Agreed. This extension was driving my users craaaayyzeee
It just needs to ask one question during registration and then never ask them again.

Can this be implemented?

KeyDog wrote:
Ahmed wrote:

I am experiencing spam bots attack

How many registrations a day?
How many unverified registrations a day?
How many posts of spammers a day?
Have you tried stopforumspam extension? and/or URL checker extension? (or the combined extension)

I'm getting around 30-50 spambot registrations per day!
The fix is very simple. Just ask a simple question once during registration to prove the user is human. That would stop all spambots instantly and forever.

Oh yeah forgot that;
use this one - been working here for some time now...

http://punbb.informer.com/forums/post/137433/#p137433

Thanks
Will try that one when i get to my proper computer
smile

KeyDog wrote:

Oh yeah forgot that;
use this one - been working here for some time now...

http://punbb.informer.com/forums/post/137433/#p137433

OK I've installed the version from that topic.
Installation went well and I've set my custom question. I've registered a test account and can confirm that it wouldn't let me register with the wrong answer but it DID let me register with the right answer.

So I think that's cracked it.
I'll keep my eye on it for 24 hours and if it's worked then I'll be a very happy bunny.
Is there somewhere I can donate $10 for this extension please?

Slovak wrote, "There are only two questions in the DB after installation, so don't forget to add more questions."  Great idea Slovak, but can you please describe how to add those extra questions?

What is the name of the file with the questions?  What steps to take to download, edit and upload edited file?

I was using aKismet with punBB 1.2.10 and it was easy to find the Q&A file and to edit it with a text editor.  I installed the official Stop Spam from Bots extension for new 1.3.5 forum last week but that has not stopped 12-14 new registrations daily because the 2 default questions are too easy.  Can't find the file with the questions in the Stop Spam from Bots directory.  Will pun_stop_bots be any easier?

tundern wrote:

the 2 default questions are too easy. 

In the admin section you can easily change the questions....
no need to do anything in the source files...

KeyDog wrote:

In the admin section you can easily change the questions....
no need to do anything in the source files...

Where in the admin section?  Not in the Administration Section of my forum when open in the latest Google Chrome.

Can you post a screen shot or step by step info?

Thank you.