Topic: style for mobile users

would be nice if someone designed a style for mobile users for the default styles. I have a lot of users ask for something that works better on their blackberrys etc

someone want to make a simple one? Thanks

Re: style for mobile users

TFD wrote:

would be nice if someone designed a style for mobile users for the default styles. I have a lot of users ask for something that works better on their blackberrys etc

someone want to make a simple one? Thanks

60 views and no one has posted? Does no one have a big forum with mobile users?

ok well I have a pretty big forum, 3,268,937 posts in the last two years and Ive had it up for almost 4 years. Anyway lots of people are using phones, droid, iphone, blackberry, hero, nexus1 etc and they all request a mobile version that autoswitches when you login like other forums and google, and youtube and everything else. IMO you guys should make it a priority to get something worked out. Id be willing to give you the feedback Ive received so far if it would help.

Ive made one they can switch in their profile, 480px wide so it works great on iphone or droid in the landscape position (horizontal) but its still way to wide for upright or 320 pixels for the iphone and droid eris (hero). What Id like to do is change the forum widths in thread view so where the user name, avatar, online indicator, ip etc are located I need to reduce the width so that the text area has more space, where can I do this? what file am I looking for? I did it once with views but I forgot where it was.

thanks

You basically need a major rewrite of the css to fit a 320px screen as that's less than halft the current minimum width size...

In my opinion YOU (or your users) need to specify what info you do and don't want. Example: the left colomn in viewpost is something that would probably have to be hidden/display:none and instead next to the date at start of post inser the name of poster to save those 15-20% width for a start... etc etc

PS: What percentage of your daily users comes on with mobile devices?

KeyDog wrote:

You basically need a major rewrite of the css to fit a 320px screen as that's less than halft the current minimum width size...

In my opinion YOU (or your users) need to specify what info you do and don't want. Example: the left colomn in viewpost is something that would probably have to be hidden/display:none and instead next to the date at start of post inser the name of poster to save those 15-20% width for a start... etc etc

PS: What percentage of your daily users comes on with mobile devices?

well all we have is name, title, 100px avatar, offline and IP for the admin. Id be cool if we could drop the avatar for mobile style and move the name, title, offline/online and IP above the post in someway, even if before the text. then have all text start on the very left.

somewhere around 20% use mobile or a combination with PC

major rewrite kind of sucks. Somehow everyone else seems to have a mobile version.

TFD wrote:

Thx. That's pretty high and makes me more inclined to believe that by 2012-2013 50% of traffic could be from mobile devices.

I definitely think this warrants a strategic effort by PunBB Devs to find a solution for HTC, Blackberry and the iPads and netbooks of the future...

KeyDog wrote:
TFD wrote:

Thx. That's pretty high and makes me more inclined to believe that by 2012-2013 50% of traffic could be from mobile devices.

I definitely think this warrants a strategic effort by PunBB Devs to find a solution for HTC, Blackberry and the iPads and netbooks of the future...

I agree, I recently went to a smart phone and I log in all the time from the couch to check on things and make a few posts, I logged in from my car while I was waiting ona friend yesterday. Imagine it will only become more popular as the phones abilities increase. I have a droid and I'm looking at the Nexus1 for my next phone.

I'm also waiting for one with open source OS. Not keen on iPhone. big_smile
But it is cool, one friend trades shares from his iPhone while watching Champions League on his plasma... hehe

Wainting a mobile style too but can't make it by myself sad

Any luck with this?

TFD wrote:

well all we have is name, title, 100px avatar, offline and IP for the admin. Id be cool if we could drop the avatar for mobile style and move the name, title, offline/online and IP above the post in someway, even if before the text. then have all text start on the very left.

That left column takes up a HUGE amount of space which is mostly devoid of content. I wouldn't mind if the left column was gone altogether. If name and title was placed at the end of the post it would be all that I would need.

12 (edited by ephestione 2010-08-07 16:02)

Mobile browser layout is a nice topic.
CSS is the key obviously, even if CSS and tables do not really go hand by hand, conceptually, and that's why divs are now the only "pro" way to design websites; still, tables are kind of obligated for a forum, since they are for "tabular data" and a forum is exactly that. Even if I'd be dead curious to see how a completely <div> driven forum would perform, possibilities would become endless big_smile
That being said, all you need would actually be a "style", with no special additional functions, as the mobile browser detection can be made with an external script and the style can be preconfigured if an $ismobilebrowser variable is set; or that could be made into an extension that automagically detects mobile browsers and switches to mobi.css.
So, take a CSS that you like, oxygen is simple enough, and, alas, work it out from scratch redefining the sizes in px, maybe setting the leftmost <td> to width:0; or display:none, who knows.

Anyway, I just out of curiosity tested my website with pubb. As I've managed to dynamically integrate punbb, so the other php code that triggers for website header and footer html code still works, the mobile browser detection worked, and move the sidebar menu to top, leaving all horizontal space for punbb. After that, everything is "as normal". I sometimes browse XDA from my HD2, and the experience is the same, the page is perfectly visible in opera mobile 10, by scrolling to click navigation links, and zooming in the text is reflown nicely.
Cosider that keydog is right, in the future a lot of users will browse with mobile phones (I myself get quite some hits from iphones -hate them- and blackberries, even if not by far close to 20%, more like 2%), but mobile phonesof tomorrow will have plenty of a resolution to display a "normal" webpage with no hassles, wvga is still 800px wode in landscape mode, same as the old 15" crts, which were widely used up until not long ago. Netbooks are 1024px wide, so that doesn't make that huge of a difference.

EDIT: the official punbb forums really need to install garciat's gravatar extension tongue

ephestione wrote:

the mobile browser detection worked

How do you do that? What script/code?

ephestione wrote:

Even if I'd be dead curious to see how a completely <div> driven forum would perform

Actually, you can - this forum doesn't use tables at all big_smile

Eraversum - scifi browser-based online webgame

KeyDog wrote:
ephestione wrote:

the mobile browser detection worked

How do you do that? What script/code?

this is what you need http://detectmobilebrowsers.mobi/

16 (edited by ephestione 2010-08-09 21:48)

Grez wrote:
ephestione wrote:

Even if I'd be dead curious to see how a completely <div> driven forum would perform

Actually, you can - this forum doesn't use tables at all big_smile

yup  roll
Came back here exactly because of that, I was checking the output source to verify something else (first time I do with punbb) and I just now realized what you say... well props for PunBB!
I was betting every forum out there was based on tables... this leaves me plenty of space to customize the layout in the future if I so decide.
To OP, for instance, you could have a special css load when mobile browser is detected, that  defines:

span.icon{display:none}

@ephestione: thanks

[code=php]
<?php

$mobile_browser = '0';

if(preg_match('/(up.browser|up.link|mmp|symbian|smartphone|midp|wap|phone)/i', strtolower($_SERVER['HTTP_USER_AGENT']))) {
    $mobile_browser++;
}

if((strpos(strtolower($_SERVER['HTTP_ACCEPT']),'application/vnd.wap.xhtml+xml')>0) or ((isset($_SERVER['HTTP_X_WAP_PROFILE']) or isset($_SERVER['HTTP_PROFILE'])))) {
    $mobile_browser++;
}   

$mobile_ua = strtolower(substr($_SERVER['HTTP_USER_AGENT'],0,4));
$mobile_agents = array(
    'w3c ','acs-','alav','alca','amoi','audi','avan','benq','bird','blac',
    'blaz','brew','cell','cldc','cmd-','dang','doco','eric','hipt','inno',
    'ipaq','java','jigs','kddi','keji','leno','lg-c','lg-d','lg-g','lge-',
    'maui','maxo','midp','mits','mmef','mobi','mot-','moto','mwbp','nec-',
    'newt','noki','oper','palm','pana','pant','phil','play','port','prox',
    'qwap','sage','sams','sany','sch-','sec-','send','seri','sgh-','shar',
    'sie-','siem','smal','smar','sony','sph-','symb','t-mo','teli','tim-',
    'tosh','tsm-','upg1','upsi','vk-v','voda','wap-','wapa','wapi','wapp',
    'wapr','webc','winw','winw','xda','xda-');

if(in_array($mobile_ua,$mobile_agents)) {
    $mobile_browser++;
}

if (strpos(strtolower($_SERVER['ALL_HTTP']),'OperaMini')>0) {
    $mobile_browser++;
}

if (strpos(strtolower($_SERVER['HTTP_USER_AGENT']),'windows')>0) {
    $mobile_browser=0;
}

if($mobile_browser>0) {
   // do something
}
else {
   // do something else
}   

?>
[/code]
source

Now I'm just wondering how to call style/Oxygen_mobile/ (instead of style/Oxygen/)   in that last part of the code
above.

Anyone know how to do that? And where to put the above code big_smile

PS: Even this site looks bad on my netbook :S !

You could use hook "co_common" and alter $forum_user['style'] if it's $mobile_browser smile

Eraversum - scifi browser-based online webgame

Grez wrote:

You could use hook "co_common" and alter $forum_user['style'] if it's $mobile_browser

If you ever find time to come up with some code for that , I think this might be something worth integrating in the core. Normally I'm not a fan of increasing the size of PunBB, but  the percentage numbers of users with mobile devices justify it, IMO. So very appreciated big_smile

It seems we're running in circles http://punbb.informer.com/forums/topic/ … bb-mobile/  neutral

KeyDog wrote:

In my opinion YOU (or your users) need to specify what info you do and don't want.

Could be something like pictured here: http://skins.invisionize.com/db/index.php/f/6402

ephestione wrote:

but mobile phones of tomorrow will have plenty of a resolution to display a "normal" webpage with no hassles

Yeah, one approach is to wait until a small screen device (320 pix wide) becomes a rare beast and thus the need for small-screen style disappears.
I do believe that people will use such devices for web browsing for quite a few years though. Also I believe that the lack of such style is one of the major drawbacks of punbb compared to some other forums.

the problem with running a any forum on a PDA is that entering the text is a pain. They are suitable for byte size text only. Thats why twitter is so good.
Best solution is to pop out and buy an IPAD which has a 1024x768 screen. Problem solved. You just need bigger pockets to put it in.

tlitody wrote:

the problem with running a any forum on a PDA is that entering the text is a pain

I have absolutely no problem entering text on my Treo 650 and Nokia E71 devices.

The user carlodin has just published this extension for use with HTC, iphone3 etc....
see more:

http://punbb.informer.com/forums/topic/ … ileswitch/

Any extension for mobile?

http://punbb.informer.com/forums/topic/ … obile-v15/

However it's not well built. I haven't got time to finish or support it anymore but I'll release my responsive theme soon ( i hope ).

If any of my dropbox link fails with 404 error, change dl.dropbox.com/u/56038890/punbb/*.zip in address to 82283017.

Currently working on rPlus - responsive theme for developers to create their own themes basing on this one.