1 (edited by Barvinok 2009-11-04 14:31)

Topic: Few questions on installation process

Hi all.

I'm thinking of upgrading my existing php old punbb forum into .NET version. Today I finally downloaded and gave it a try, so that it would feel comfortable in my production environment (Win2003R2 + IIS6 + MySQL 5.0.61).

First discrepancy found was missing "Port" parameter from installation screen and ConnectionString consequently. Quite alot of people are using MySQL not on default port, so I had to patch Install.aspx manually to fix it.

The second was quite a surprise to see that in every table the UserId field is specified as VARCHAR(200) instead of expected INT(n). For this reason, table UsersInRoles created in UTF-8 database gave an error about maximal key length exceeded (which is 333 = 1000 bytes, worst case for three-byte characters in UTF8 encoding scheme).

Is there any humanly possible reason for user identifiers to NOT be integers but VARCHARS of 200 characters?  hmm

Thanks in advance.

Re: Few questions on installation process

Barvinok wrote:

Hi all.

I'm thinking of upgrading my existing php old punbb forum into .NET version. Today I finally downloaded and gave it a try, so that it would feel comfortable in my production environment (Win2003R2 + IIS6 + MySQL 5.0.61).

First discrepancy found was missing "Port" parameter from installation screen and ConnectionString consequently. Quite alot of people are using MySQL not on default port, so I had to patch Install.aspx manually to fix it.

The second was quite a surprise to see that in every table the UserId field is specified as VARCHAR(200) instead of expected INT(n). For this reason, table UsersInRoles created in UTF-8 database gave an error about maximal key length exceeded (which is 333 = 1000 bytes, worst case for three-byte characters in UTF8 encoding scheme).

Is there any humanly possible reason for user identifiers to NOT be integers but VARCHARS of 200 characters?  hmm

Thanks in advance.

Re: Few questions on installation process

Hello! The latest version of PunBB.NET is beta, and there are a lot of problems in it. And we are aware of all those flaws you mentioned. But because of some changes in our team we don't work on PunBB.NET improvement alot right now.