Topic: An error was encountered Error: Unable to update user.

I just got this bug when replying to a post:

An error was encountered
Error: Unable to update user.

if you reload it will cause to double post or if you go back you will see not post, but in reality the post was made.

Maybe the same is happening when making new post. I been deleting lots of double post

-------

Anybody knows what can be causing this?

Re: An error was encountered Error: Unable to update user.

Has this started to occur

• out of the blue

• after changes to your database (what kind are you using - check with your host support to see if they've changed anything recently)

• (after installing a new/different/updated extension ) forget this one, just saw you're using 1.2.x

3 (edited by fhelik 2010-09-16 16:04)

KeyDog wrote:

after changes to your database

out of the blue, but maybe after moving databases, we use mysql. I hear somewhere it has to do with some table collation, but I am not sure.

- The problem does not happens all the time
- We have not extensions

fhelik wrote:

Error: Unable to update user.

Was the error really "user"? Since if it was users, it would make more sense (name of sql table), but like this I have no clue...

As well, do you have your debug mode on? It could provide us with more information... smile

[code=php]define('FORUM_DEBUG', 1);[/code]
In config.php

Eraversum - scifi browser-based online webgame

5 (edited by fhelik 2010-09-16 19:20)

For example I just tried to create a new topic, then the server takes a while to respond and when it responds it shows this:

http://imgur.com/MWwsl.jpg

But the topic was created because after that I visit the forum and I see the new topic there.

So this behavior is causing users to double post since they just press the reload on the browser or just try to create the topic again

I will look for more info, thank you guys for your time

Ah, sorry haven't seen it's 1.2 and not 1.3 big_smile Anyway... I checked the code and error occurs in post.php, line 320, when PunBB is updating user's post count.

I suggest you'd analyse table users
[code=sql]ANALYZE TABLE punbb_users[/code]
and then (if there's error) repair it (btw both you can do both from PhpMyAdmin wink)

But don't forget to backup your db before you try the repair query, you can lose some data during the process  neutral

Eraversum - scifi browser-based online webgame

you right. I just tried to create a new post and the error show up, then I when back to the forum and the new topic was created but my post count did't increased.

I will take a look in the users table where the num_posts is located

Thanks again guys for your time