Topic: RETURN PUNBB TO THE COMMUNITY

I'm inviting all forum members to sign this thread whereas they moved on to other forum software or not.

Our request is simple

Return PUNBB to the community.

The software is open source and by stalling its' development is insane. There are enough php/mysql gurus here to keep the program updated and there are enough users left who can revive its popularity.

Re: RETURN PUNBB TO THE COMMUNITY

I'm totally for this.

3 (edited by fantasma 2011-02-18 15:33)

Yes ME TOOO!!!!!

Yes i have an idea, we all buy PunBB from informer?
1 dollar each one!!!

agree!
let's donate to buy punbb from informer

add news or i must migrate to fluxbb

I'm for it too !

An idea for Facebook users : make a group, LOL !

Ubuntu Linux 10.04 LTS / Windows XP SP2
GIMP 2.6.8 (advanced), Inkscape (newbie)
XHTML/CSS (advanced), PHP/MySQL (medium)
Don't ask what free software can do for you, but what you can do for free software.

Anyone can contact all community? or directly the informer staff?

fantasma wrote:

Anyone can contact all community?

The current admin is KeyDog. I'm not sure if there's a mod here which will assist him to do that.

fantasma wrote:

or directly the informer staff?

keydog is in touch with the devs. I guess all we can do from here is build this thread as much as we can.

I don't tend to visit here much any more, but thought I'd chime in.

Really PunBB is 2 things:

1. An open-source forum software.

2. A brand.

The forum software itself is released under the GPL. Anyone who wants to can take a copy, start their own community, and maintain/develop it as they wish. This is exactly what we did with FluxBB. There is nothing stopping you (anyone) doing this with PunBB, and creating their own version - as long as they abide by the GPL.

The other aspect is the brand PunBB. In other words, the name PunBB, the domain, and the community. This obviously is a harder aspect. You can either create yourself a new brand, which takes time to build up and become known (as we did with FluxBB), or attempt to obtain PunBB from Informer. I think the chances of this are fairly limited - Informer paid a good chunk of money for PunBB and aren't going to want to just give it away.

The most likely option here would be to put together a team and try to make a deal with Informer, whereby you as a team/community are responsible for the development and maintenance of the software - but Informer maintain control of the brand and copyrights.

fantasma wrote:

Anyone can contact all community? or directly the informer staff?

I've tried contacting the informer staff on several occassions in the last 2 weeks, no response...

Reines wrote:

The most likely option here would be to put together a team and try to make a deal with Informer, whereby you as a team/community are responsible for the development and maintenance of the software - but Informer maintain control of the brand and copyrights.

Probably will be best idea, if no action is taken on behalf of informer.

colak wrote:

The current admin is KeyDog. I'm not sure if there's a mod here which will assist him to do that.

I'm a moderator with admin rights currently. Slavok and alexp are the ones with full admin rights serverside and developers.

ok put togheder gruop.....

fantasma wrote:

ok put togheder gruop.....

Starting to think informer is bust and no employees left tbh !

mmmmm really?

KeyDog wrote:

Starting to think informer is bust and no employees left tbh !

Reines wrote:

The forum software itself is released under the GPL. Anyone who wants to can take a copy, start their own community, and maintain/develop it as they wish. This is exactly what we did with FluxBB. There is nothing stopping you (anyone) doing this with PunBB, and creating their own version - as long as they abide by the GPL.

I am no programmer. Anyone interested in continuing this project? I'm willing to help in any way I can

i have interest for continuing punbb project but NOW!!! (need fresh news from informer) or i will switch to fluxbb

upppp!!!

fantasma wrote:

i have interest for continuing punbb project but NOW!!! (need fresh news from informer) or i will switch to fluxbb

i would switch to flux if they had the extension system. I'm not very good with mods

fluxbb have extension system....

The PunBB project will be continued.

news about it?

hcs wrote:

The PunBB project will be continued.

By that time there'll be no community and no users to use it!

@fantasma, @colak - I just sent ("my") 1.3.5 to KeyDog for testing and if all goes well we could issue it. I know Informer said to @hcs that they will continue the project, but I'm little bit tired of waiting so if they want they can just commit the changes to repo (although most of changes were already done by Informer)  smile

Eraversum - scifi browser-based online webgame

Thanks!!!! Grez i think that we all must work on community....!!!
We need designers, developer and other, how do it?
Designers can make and sell PunBB themes here: http://themeforest.net/ and make money!!!
Developer can make extension and sell it here: http://codecanyon.net/ and make money !!!!

HARRY UP GUYS!!!!  WORK together!!!

fantasma wrote:

Unfortunately not

colak wrote:
fantasma wrote:

Unfortunately not

...not yet wink

FluxBB - v1.4.8