Topic: How do I "turn" the posts around?

I currently have a PunBB running and if someone posts a new reply, it is placed on the bottom of the topic.
Is there a way to have new posts build from the top down ??
( with the newest post on top ? )

Thanks

Don

Re: How do I "turn" the posts around?

Mmm, lets see
viewtopic.php

FIND

result = $db->query('SELECT id FROM '.$db->prefix.'posts WHERE topic_id='.$id.' ORDER BY posted') or error('Unable to fetch post info', __FILE__, __LINE__, $db->error());

REPLACE WITH

result = $db->query('SELECT id FROM '.$db->prefix.'posts WHERE topic_id='.$id.' ORDER BY posted DESC') or error('Unable to fetch post info', __FILE__, __LINE__, $db->error());

FIND

$result = $db->query('SELECT u.email, u.title, u.url, u.location, u.use_avatar, u.signature, u.email_setting, u.num_posts, u.registered, u.admin_note, p.id, p.poster AS username, p.poster_id, p.poster_ip, p.poster_email, p.message, p.hide_smilies, p.posted, p.edited, p.edited_by, g.g_id, g.g_user_title, o.user_id AS is_online FROM '.$db->prefix.'posts AS p INNER JOIN '.$db->prefix.'users AS u ON u.id=p.poster_id INNER JOIN '.$db->prefix.'groups AS g ON g.g_id=u.group_id LEFT JOIN '.$db->prefix.'online AS o ON (o.user_id=u.id AND o.user_id!=1 AND o.idle=0) WHERE p.topic_id='.$id.' ORDER BY p.id LIMIT '.$start_from.','.$pun_user['disp_posts'], true) or error('Unable to fetch post info', __FILE__, __LINE__, $db->error());

REPLACE WITH

$result = $db->query('SELECT u.email, u.title, u.url, u.location, u.use_avatar, u.signature, u.email_setting, u.num_posts, u.registered, u.admin_note, p.id, p.poster AS username, p.poster_id, p.poster_ip, p.poster_email, p.message, p.hide_smilies, p.posted, p.edited, p.edited_by, g.g_id, g.g_user_title, o.user_id AS is_online FROM '.$db->prefix.'posts AS p INNER JOIN '.$db->prefix.'users AS u ON u.id=p.poster_id INNER JOIN '.$db->prefix.'groups AS g ON g.g_id=u.group_id LEFT JOIN '.$db->prefix.'online AS o ON (o.user_id=u.id AND o.user_id!=1 AND o.idle=0) WHERE p.topic_id='.$id.' ORDER BY p.id DESC LIMIT '.$start_from.','.$pun_user['disp_posts'], true) or error('Unable to fetch post info', __FILE__, __LINE__, $db->error());

I think that should properly reverse the view order of posts.
Out of curiosity, why would you want this? Reversing the order of posts makes the conversation much more difficult for people to read if they haven't kept up with the topic and doesn't provide much benefit (if any) for people who have tongue

I see your point, but I just thought that if "they"
didn't need to go to the bottom of the page it
would be easier.

Having to change code in the php is not what I was "looking for",
because of the way this is hosted ( on a friends account) I don't REALLY
have easy access to the php, I just thought it might be a simple option
that I didn't see.

Thanks for the QUICK response

Don

na it hast to be done by code... thought it could be a little mod to have a button on each topic or even profile to sort the topics by last post or first post

Sorry. Unactive due to personal life.

5 (edited by mi 2011-01-29 13:42)

Utchin wrote:

na it hast to be done by code... thought it could be a little mod to have a button on each topic or even profile to sort the topics by last post or first post

I agree: Should be in profile/display, so each user can choose how to have the posts sorted. Is this coming to PunBB, or is it only a cumbersome mod?

New Friendly web-shop! • SO happy with PunBB! • Now punBB 1.4.x on ALL forums (won't tell how many or their addresses to avoid spam-regs)

mi wrote:
Utchin wrote:

I agree: Should be in profile/display, so each user can choose how to have the posts sorted. Is this coming to PunBB, or is it only a cumbersome mod?

Being able to read posts, inside a topic, at the very least, in reverse chronological posting order is critical to a high-volume forum.  Paging to the end of dozens of pages of posts is irritating to experienced users.

Has this been fixed since January?

manorchurch wrote:
mi wrote:
Utchin wrote:

Being able to read posts, inside a topic, at the very least, in reverse chronological posting order is critical to a high-volume forum.  Paging to the end of dozens of pages of posts is irritating to experienced users.

Has this been fixed since January?

On a busy forum, there may be several users posting back-and-forth on a topic.  Those users want to see the new posts appear on a screen refresh, or immediately after they post a reply.  Some posts take longer to compose, and several posts may occur during the time a user is composing a reply.

In a low-usage forum, viewing "new posts" is usually sufficient.  But, who wants to have a low-usage discussion board?

hi, someone have a solution for this in punBB 1.4.2? Thanks

if you wanna go more advanced there's a lot to readme