Topic: PunBB RSS Feed Test

I was just testing the PunBB rss feed and thought I might as well leave it up briefly as a demo that it works.

http://www.post21.co.uk/punrss/punrss.php

Re: PunBB RSS Feed Test

Hmm, that's not an RSS feed?

Here are the RSS feeds for these forums:

- New topics
- Recently active topics

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

3 (edited by ps21 2004-01-17 00:06)

Kennel wrote:

Hmm, that's not an RSS feed?

Here are the RSS feeds for these forums:

- New topics
- Recently active topics

Sorry, my post was misleading. I am using the first link. The script punrss.php is a xml to php parser. I didn't think anybody would want a demo of raw xml. The way I have done it is, I think, the way most people would use a news feed on a real site (subject to formating/layout). And for my next trick, the user - xml - vCard parser (maybe). Its amazing what you can find as Hotscripts these days.

Ah, ok :)

The reason I added RSS support was so that people could use an RSS feed reader to "keep up" with the forums without actually having to check them. Oh, well. With XML, just about anything is possible :)

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Hi,

I've just been trying out the RSS feed, but unless i'm missing something, it doesn't actually update when a reply is posted.

I want to use this to be notified whenever any post is made (and not just  a new topic)...is this possible?

Cheers,
Rich

Yes, you can. Try action=active. That will syndicate the most recently active topics. Here's an example for these forums:

http://punbb.org/forums/extern.php?acti … p;type=RSS

Rickard,

I've tried that, however it doesn't appear to notify of any replies when it updates.
This may well be because rss isn't really designed for this type of thing I guess.
(ie, it will pick up 'new' things but won't pick up and notify of  'updated' items).

I was hoping to leave my rss reader on all day to keep track of the forum, but I think i'm being a bit unrealistic here. (ie, it will flash up when something is updated)

Cheers,
Rich

Actually, I've just thought of a way that may make it possible, if you had one at message level (rather than topic).
This will then show you every post as it happens. (all be it not in a threaded manner).

It might be what I need though, do you think this is easy to implement in extern.php?

Cheers,
Rich

The URL i posted above works just fine. I just posted a message in the topic "i am the monkey" and it is therefore at the top of the list as it should be. Perhaps your RSS reader doesn't react when the order of the items in a feed is the same. That's what happens when someone posts a message to a topic that was most recently active before the post.

Implementing it on a post level should be quite easy.

What's the current state of things as per the post lever notificaion request?

seunosewa wrote:

What's the current state of things as per the post lever notificaion request?

try http://letmeseetheart.tripod.com/files/ … 16.php.txt

It will be for version 1.3 or 1.4?