Topic: Should we still support IE6?

We need to known drop or not IE6 compatibility in the next PunBB release in 2012.

2 (edited by hklown 2011-11-17 20:30)

Re: Should we still support IE6?

I think you should drop support for IE6.

http://www.ie6countdown.com/#map

Microsoft themselves are phasing out IE6 in 2014, so removing 2 years early isn't a big deal. Even Google has stopped supporting IE6.

What would be important is that users who visit a PunBB forum with IE6 are notified that their browser is incompatible and that they should upgrade. Then, the onus is on them do to something about it.

Ha. That was my question as well. We all know and hate IE6. Let's FORCE everyone to change to Chrome!

Dinosaurs shall die

If any of my dropbox link fails with 404 error, change dl.dropbox.com/u/56038890/punbb/*.zip in address to 82283017.

Currently working on rPlus - responsive theme for developers to create their own themes basing on this one.

Kushi wrote:

Dinosaurs shall die

Well put wink

hklown wrote:

What would be important is that users who visit a PunBB forum with IE6 are notified that their browser is incompatible and that they should upgrade. Then, the onus is on them do to something about it.

You could modify this.

7 (edited by SuperMAG 2012-09-12 10:20)

ie6, we should remove ie7 support too. lol

MyFootballCafe.com  is Now Online!

8 (edited by Piki 2012-10-10 16:28)

I don't think IE support (any version) should even be a remote priority. I've heard all too often that it always seems full of security issues.

Personally, I plan to have my web server redirect anyone who visits my site in IE to a page saying something like:

Internet Explorer has many known security flaws that could allow your account on this site to be compromised. You should try another more secure browser, such as Firefox. To proceed anyways, without switching browsers, click here.

9 (edited by donald 2012-12-19 09:25)

Why I still support IE6 (no longer)

Update: The time has come: Although the lines below aren’t too old yet I finally decided to abandon IE6 (and even IE7). From now on I neither support this browser in corporate projects nor in my personal ones. The effort bears no relation to the benefit anymore.
Yeah, I know, it’s so much fun to again and again complain about Internet Explorer 6, how dumb everybody must be that still uses this archaic browser. But, you know what? Many of the people that still use it don’t do it because they absolutely desire, but only because they have to, because they are forced to by lazy sysadmins or other restrictions at their workplace. Of course there are also folks that surf the web with IE6 because they want to, or rather they don’t know it better, but I assume that this percentage is very small. you must wear some

And don’t get me wrong: I also love to swear to Microsoft’s hellion and rail against it. But, and that’s the difference, I still try to support it on a basic level. Internet Explorer 6 seems to really enjoy (or better said Microsoft’s engineers have done their best over a century ago) to give me hell, and when I am down it still laughs at me. But then, when I look at my work and see that a site I made is basically usable in this browser, I’m quite proud. Not for still supporting this legacy programme, but for making sites that can be enjoyed in as many browsers as possible. That’s the point I’d like to convey in this article. get your favorite costume from

I personally have no patience for the lazy. It's one thing to just not know any better because you're not computer savvy and didn't have a knowledgeable person to teach you (hence my suggested message), but it's another thing for the well informed to stick to outdated and insecure technology.

And people shouldn't be viewing my site at work anyway. My site has no bearing on their jobs. They should be doing their jobs at their jobs. Let them view my site at home when they aren't working, when they have some control over what browser they use.

I hand-coded the HTML for my main site. I am a total newb with HTML and CSS, and still had it validate against W3C's validation pages -- as HTML 4.01 Strict. Not one drop of browser-specific code (except to display the warning to IE users) can be found. And it displays perfectly in three browsers: Firefox, Chrome, and Konqueror with it's severely outdated KHTML engine. I haven't tried it in any others. At least two of those browsers work on the "Big Three" Operating Systems. I'm not trying to brag (far from it), I just have to wander why, with such a track record, should I bother with archaeic outdate insecure softwares like IE?

Heck, I'm half considering learning PHP just to patch IE support completely out of PunBB. If people see my warning and still want to use IE, not my problem. I told them there could be problems with IE, and they have every right to install a different browser on their own computers at home, so if they have problems, oh well.

I can't make the developers to drop IE support, but it would still be nice IMO smile